Page 78 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Re: Patriot League 2018 - way way way to early

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    I think OOC is going to be a major struggle again. I could easily see another 0'fer. The only saving grace is the league should once again be terrible. The offense will score but I see nothing on defense that leads me to believe they're going to go from historically bad to decent. There's a couple of nice pieces but overall there's a serious dearth of talent and size along the DL imo. I'm expecting the unit to get run over again. It likely won't be as bad as last year. That would be almost impossible! Still, I could see if being ranked in 90's or 100's again in most of the meaningful stats.

Could 5-6 win the league again? I think it's possible.
    A bit melodramatic but certainly possible. More digging indicates that on O only issue so far is OL coordination. Time and reps solve that.

D
    Two issues are top of the list. Tackling far and away #1. Spring emphasis has been primarily tackling drills. 2nd issue is coordination between LBs and DL with the emphasis on learning how to play defense not just how to memorize assignments. Kashurba appears to be the right hire by Sutyak to get front 7 to improve.
    A winning record may be our only reasonable goal at this point but I dont believe it is a foregone conclusion. I first want to see what this squad looks like in Aug after a couple of weeks practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    This was not an expectation with adding 60 scholarships. The non-conference schedules are comparable but the results aren't there from 10 or 20 years ago. What are your thoughts as to why the PL isn't winning as it was projected to?
    Holy Cross had horrific coaching for the last 5 or so years as Gilmore showed he couldn't handle running a scholarship program (amongst other things....just a terrible head coach).

HC basically starting from scratch undah Chesney....but the optimism is there like it hasn't been for the program since the 1980s.....we shall see.

This was not an expectation with adding 60 scholarships. The non-conference schedules are comparable but the results aren't there from 10 or 20 years ago. What are your thoughts as to why the PL isn't winning as it was projected to?
    "Projected to.." definitely not a term I would ascribe to the fan explosion of optimistic predictions.I never saw schollies as a magic wand curing all our ills. Even if employed correctly PL has enough other artificial restrictions now that effectively dampen the impact of schollies. It is abundantly clear in hindsight that PL teams did not initially recruit very well for the first 3-4 years. Some stars certainly but fewer players and less overall talent than many of the better preschollie groups. Why? Mostly, because staffs recruited the same prospects on their lists adding to them a plethora of highly touted kids who were unlikely to come to the PL and didnt. Cant speak to the recruiting strategies of all but at LU Coen did not adapt our strategy at all for the first 3 years with the result that while he got some true superstars the overall classes were at best average. Why then werent we getting the same teams we had from the late 90s thru mid 2000s? A bit more complicated but basically the landscape had changed. Fordham got that and pushed PL to go schollie. Those kids we used to get were now getting rides from Monmouth Albany Stony Brook et al and the Ivies with their amped up recruiting in response to PL.
    Over the last 2-3 years Coen has adapted finally to necessities of schollie recruiting. Better targeting of full rides resulting in smaller classes but a much greater talent level. Unfortunately for us, he has restocked his offense at the expense of the defense. Not all his fault. It is easier, given the history of our offensive success to attract excellent QBs and offensive talent.
    Tracking recruit classes it is evident that most have adapted to the learning curve for schollie recruiting at least to a degree. Talent level has increased overall particularly over the last 2 classes.
    Given that many scheduled up quickly OOC results have been dreadful.IMO results will not get much better for another year or two. I look at LU-'s large senior class as an example of my point. Some superstars in Mayes and Bragalone but in reality not much else. Some decent PL players but a larger group that has yet to produce on the field.Admittedly some of this results from injuries but regardless the production has not been there.
    As frustrated as I am right now over PL's terrible OOC record, I am optimistic about our future. PL has eased up a bit on aid to WOs. Cross,Rams and Pards have invested in hopefully top flight head coaches. If we continue to recruit at the same level as the last 2 classes we will turn this crap around

I would add Mish to the list of "superstars" in that class, one of the best kickers we have ever had when fully healthy

Quote Originally Posted by van View Post
    I would add Mish to the list of "superstars" in that class, one of the best kickers we have ever had when fully healthy
    Yul. I would love to add Kelsey.A player with tremendous ability beset with injuries his entire career.

owl
    Prospectus will be out this week. Position previews today and Thurs. Wr/RB/TE first the DBs.

The power of scholarships, part 991: Georgetown was in the running for 26 players this year with two or more stars according to the 247 rating system. How many signed to play for the Hoyas? None. Any of these might have elevated the 2018 season, but it didn't happen.

https://247sports.com/college/george...ootball/Offers
    Last edited by DFW HOYA; April 10th, 2018 at 09:19 PM.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

The power of scholarships, part 991: Georgetown was in the running for 26 players this year with two or more stars according to the 247 rating system. How many signed to play for the Hoyas? None. Any of these might have elevated the 2018 season, but it didn't happen.

https://247sports.com/college/george...ootball/Offers
    Today's reality. Preschollie GU may have gotten many of them. Stars are nice for Patsys but not all that relevant to potential quality of recruits. Of the commits you do have, there are a few with very good offer sheets. Not enough truly but they are there.

Top FCS Advocate The Boogie Down's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Today's reality. Preschollie GU may have gotten many of them. Stars are nice for Patsys but not all that relevant to potential quality of recruits. Of the commits you do have, there are a few with very good offer sheets. Not enough truly but they are there.
    Except for 2011 when GU was one win away from a PL crown and a playoffs trip, are things all that different for the Hoyas now than during the pre-schollie era? 2011 was a great run but aside from that, what?
    Top-20 FBS Rankings: 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941

Top-20 FCS Rankings: 2002, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015

First Class FCS Ruler ColgateTD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Boogie Down View Post
    Except for 2011 when GU was one win away from a PL crown and a playoffs trip, are things all that different for the Hoyas now than during the pre-schollie era? 2011 was a great run but aside from that, what?
    Interesting that GU was one point away from giving Colgate it's only loss of the 2003 season in the first game. Wonder how things would have worked out had Gate lost that one. They went on to Chattanooga as you will recall.
    2003 NCAA Finalist