Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
I would not discount Monaco so quickly. He came in as an A-S QB from Fla. He is a clone of Shaf. A bit lighter but runs sprintouts well and is more of a pass first QB. Shoup is a bit shorter and lighter but equally athletic with a quicker release. Arm strength looks about the same.
Yes, both Shoup and Monaco have excellent credentials from their HS careers. Unless there is a coaching change, I'd expect Mayes to remain the starter next year. I recall the situation with J.B. Clark well: a rising senior (coincidentally also from FL like Mayes) and 2-time Lehigh-Lafayette MVP (following 4 years of losses to LC before his wins) who lost the job to then-junior Lum. However, Lum had a significant amount of playing time in 2009 as a sophomore. He saw action in 9 games and started 3.

This year's situation is quite different. Neither of the 2 potential new starting QBs have seen a single snap this year. Also, I think it is fair to say that Clark was not quite the caliber of QB that Mayes is. J.B completed just 50% of his passes and had 13 TD and 9 Int, barely outperforming Lum in his limited role that season.