Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Re: Patriot League 2018 - way way way to early

Quote Originally Posted by Doc QB View Post
    Its all about cash and support. The other thread that details spending becomes relevant here with some simple math. Subtract the huge cost of 60 full tuition/room/board scholarships. Subtract it from the total. You get an idea of what is left, and my guess is that it is quite low compared to other programs. Obviously, if a program has 63 scholarships, a bunch of instate kids that are less costly, and a lower total budget, it may appear they are spending less, but they have more cash leftover after scholarships for assistant salaries and this is where there is potentially a huge divide among programs.

Lehigh does not pay their lower assistants very well. It is why we have have pretty much raided Franklin and Marshall of their assistants over Andy's tenure. Good guys I am sure, but if they were not coordinators there, they were part-timers...that's how Div III is run. Now they are PL coaches. If they are good, they move up rank at LU, and many move on. If they are average, they stay put, and we have crap defenses year after year.

Look at UNH, UD, Dartmouth, JMU, Columbia, UPenn to name a few. Check their coaching rosters. They have coordinators who were head coaches, position coaches who were coordinators. Any they are mostly from other FCS/FBS programs. We are littered with DIII coaches. Are we really surprised to see a defense struggle so tremendously year after year if we have not significantly improved our asst coaches? It takes cash. The Football Partnership raises a bunch for the program. I think it should be entirely earmarked for asst salaries if not already. Even $100K would go a long way to bolster the package of getting improved LB, DB, and special teams coaches. And that is a small portion of the budget overall. Thirty grand more per coaching position isn't that hard to do. Maybe Andy already did it, and it is how he landed Kashurba after he was let go at HC. At least I hope that is the trend.
    Does seem to be trending Doc. Andy hired Jeremy Bandy as the new OL coach. He comes from Harvard where he was the OL coach and run game coordinator for the last 6 years
    It seems Lehigh and Harvard just traded their OL coaches
    Coach Bandy has an impressive resume. Quite similar to that of Coach Kashurba. Also an asst at Alleghenny then OL coach at Holy Cross prior to Harvard.

I noticed that Garrett has lost 5=6 assts according to Pard board. Assts moving on is normal this time of year. So many leaving in Garrett's 2nd year. Any ideas why?

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    I noticed that Garrett has lost 5=6 assts according to Pard board. Assts moving on is normal this time of year. So many leaving in Garrett's 2nd year. Any ideas why?
    No. FWIW most of Garrettís staff were jr members of FBS staffs rather than guys from lower levels.

Not sure where everyone went, but those of which I am aware have left for opportunities that certainly pay more. Agree the sheer number of defections in greater than normal, and I have no inside info, but it is possible that guys just left for better jobs as he brought in a bunch of young and ambitious assistants.

This is not a positive, but I donít but into some of the theories on our board.

By the way 3 of Garrettís recruits were named to the big 33 game. I donít think we had 3 guys on that team in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    No. FWIW most of Garrett’s staff were jr members of FBS staffs rather than guys from lower levels.

Not sure where everyone went, but those of which I am aware have left for opportunities that certainly pay more. Agree the sheer number of defections in greater than normal, and I have no inside info, but it is possible that guys just left for better jobs as he brought in a bunch of young and ambitious assistants.

This is not a positive, but I don’t but into some of the theories on our board.

By the way 3 of Garrett’s recruits were named to the big 33 game. I don’t think we had 3 guys on that team in the last 20 years.
    Thanks FT. A negative only due to numbers. You hire good coaches in the PL they move on and up. Congrats on Big33. Tossup who has best class you or Fordham. Congrats.

Revisiting an old LFN column and posing this question--was Tim Murphy right?

In October, that site posted a quote by the Harvard head coach, with this observation: "I donít think the quality of the programs is that much different than it was five or 10 years ago...I think a lot of kids on the Patriot League teams now would have been on the same teams if they didnít have scholarships."

A contrary view from LFN: "All loosening the old needs-based restriction on football scholarships did was to enlarge the pool of possible football recruits available to Patriot League schools... I am certain that scholarships have allowed Patriot League schools to recruit student-athletes they would not have otherwise been able to realistically recruit."

I'm not sure both can be correct. Are there players outside the admissions pool that are carrying PL teams upward, or are there simply too many kids with the imprimatur of "scholarship athlete" that connotes a better player by default, if not by result?
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."