Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Raider Redux View Post
DFW is correct that it starts with demographics. That info is publicly available. My perspective has been further shaped by anecdotal info I've received from friends who are HC alums:

1. Failure to grow/diversify its student body applicants geographically ( domestically and internationally ), relative to schools nationally, especially schools in the Northeast.

2. The Fr. Brooks "athletic entertainment ban" is symbolic of other decisions. That decision fits into a category we'll call the "internal tension between practical secular governance decision-making to keep HC competitive on a broad scale while maintaining its commitment to its Jesuit tradition and leadership."

3. Maintaining a competitive niche as the elite Catholic liberal arts college may be a marketing challenge greater than the other PL institutions face.

And while we're at it..... These objective factoids underscore how ham-handed and counter-productive Sader87's narrative has been promoting the PL as the catalyst for HC's ( athletic ) problems. I truly believe Sader87 is a devoted HC alum who wants to promote his alma mater. He couldn't have done a worse job as an HC ambassador on this board.
The NCAA APR awards came out today. The Fr.Brooks' approach does appear to have succeeded at Holy Cross. I note Lehigh and Bucknell are also there without a calamitous impact on sports. The two are mot mutually exclusive. The difference,I agree, is the policies implemented by the colleges to achieve athletically and academically.