Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 151
  1. #1
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    ngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    18,838

    THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    I know it has been a piss poor year for the PL and both of these two storied programs, but it IS Lehigh-Lafayette Week! (or as it's known in Easton, PA, "Lafayette-Lehigh Week"). A PL championship is still on the line. I believe someone had some stats a few years ago showing how many times the PL championship was decided by this game, and it is a lot. So while SOME hearts may not be in to it as much this year, I still believe we need a thread dedicated to the College Football's Most Played Rivalry regardless of division. It may also be,now, the longest uninterrupted series in the country. I will leave that to others to research.

    For this game, the weather forecast is currently showing 70% chance of "showers". That implies sporadic rain and not a steady rain or down pour event, so there could be impact on the game. Lehigh's fairly new natural grass field drains very well, so it will take a lot of rain to create any kind of quagmire. A wet ball, thought, could create some turnover opportunities.

    The Leopards, despite their struggles this year, have shown a strong defense led by All-American candidate Bryant. That unit and its leader will be the key to any chance the 'ards would have for a big upset. Lafayette's offense has been downright anemic. While their freshman QB has shown flashes that indicate a bright future, the offense has been woefully ineffective.

    On the flip side, Lehigh as lived off its offense with too much pressure placed upon it due to the inept defense through most the year. Lehigh's D actually was good enough to beat Villanova, except that the offense made some critical mistakes that led to the loss. Since that game, the Defense swirled around the toilet bowl giving up huge plays against following opponents. Ironically, Lehigh's D has been very good on third down conversions allowed, but the huge chunks of yardage yielded on 1st, 2nd, and 4th downs have been killers. There has been a ray of sunshine the past couple weeks with some nice performances against Bucknell and Holy Cross, so there is cause for optimism against the 'pards offense. Lehigh's offense was all the rage preseason, and while the team has put up some very good numbers, the offense has had its own trouble during the season, with a number of missed opportunities with dropped passes, not seeing open receivers, and costly turnovers that could have easily resulted in 2 or 3 more wins at this point. While the QB tends to get the most attention, I believe at this point is certain that the MVP for Lehigh this year is Dom Bragalone. He has become a beast and rarely is brought down by a single tacker once he gets rolling. He has also become a good receiver, and his use out of the backfield may be a big asset this coming Saturday.

    So that is my 'skinny'. I also give Lehigh the edge on special teams now that Ed Mish is back as both PK and Punter. My crystal ball says that Lehigh may see some early game frustration from the Lafayette defense. But, eventually, the offense will get rolling and Lehigh's defense will be 'good enough' to handle the 'pards offense. Mountain Hawks will soar, 41-17.

    Oh,yes, as I have traditionally done since 1971. I replicate the banner my fraternity would hang as part of "The Hill" house decoration contest:


    NOVEMBER 18, 2017...THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!!!!
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

  2. #2
    AGS FCS Champion
    JSUSoutherner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    In Hell preparing rooms for OVC officials.
    Posts
    6,500

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    TL;DR




    Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

  3. #3
    AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murray Goodman Stadium
    Posts
    18,969

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    The Rivalry: Enjoy The Best Part Of Going to Lehigh Or Lafayette

    https://lehighfootballnation.blogspo...-going-to.html
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

    The
    Time
    Is
    Now

  4. #4
    AGS FCS Champion 93henfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Slower DE
    Posts
    8,563

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    How many times in college football history has a conference champion had a losing record? Has anyone looked up that stat yet?

  5. #5
    AGS FCS Champion
    Go Lehigh TU owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    On the Move
    Posts
    16,834

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Quote Originally Posted by 93henfan View Post
    How many times in college football history has a conference champion had a losing record? Has anyone looked up that stat yet?
    Lafayette was 5-6 in 2013 when they won the auto-bid. They beat then 8-2 Lehigh for the outright league title. Leave it to the PL to potentially replicate the losing season feat twice in 5 seasons....
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

  6. #6
    AGS FCS Champion RichH2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,770

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    I know it has been a piss poor year for the PL and both of these two storied programs, but it IS Lehigh-Lafayette Week! (or as it's known in Easton, PA, "Lafayette-Lehigh Week"). A PL championship is still on the line. I believe someone had some stats a few years ago showing how many times the PL championship was decided by this game, and it is a lot. So while SOME hearts may not be in to it as much this year, I still believe we need a thread dedicated to the College Football's Most Played Rivalry regardless of division. It may also be,now, the longest uninterrupted series in the country. I will leave that to others to research.

    For this game, the weather forecast is currently showing 70% chance of "showers". That implies sporadic rain and not a steady rain or down pour event, so there could be impact on the game. Lehigh's fairly new natural grass field drains very well, so it will take a lot of rain to create any kind of quagmire. A wet ball, thought, could create some turnover opportunities.

    The Leopards, despite their struggles this year, have shown a strong defense led by All-American candidate Bryant. That unit and its leader will be the key to any chance the 'ards would have for a big upset. Lafayette's offense has been downright anemic. While their freshman QB has shown flashes that indicate a bright future, the offense has been woefully ineffective.

    On the flip side, Lehigh as lived off its offense with too much pressure placed upon it due to the inept defense through most the year. Lehigh's D actually was good enough to beat Villanova, except that the offense made some critical mistakes that led to the loss. Since that game, the Defense swirled around the toilet bowl giving up huge plays against following opponents. Ironically, Lehigh's D has been very good on third down conversions allowed, but the huge chunks of yardage yielded on 1st, 2nd, and 4th downs have been killers. There has been a ray of sunshine the past couple weeks with some nice performances against Bucknell and Holy Cross, so there is cause for optimism against the 'pards offense. Lehigh's offense was all the rage preseason, and while the team has put up some very good numbers, the offense has had its own trouble during the season, with a number of missed opportunities with dropped passes, not seeing open receivers, and costly turnovers that could have easily resulted in 2 or 3 more wins at this point. While the QB tends to get the most attention, I believe at this point is certain that the MVP for Lehigh this year is Dom Bragalone. He has become a beast and rarely is brought down by a single tacker once he gets rolling. He has also become a good receiver, and his use out of the backfield may be a big asset this coming Saturday.

    So that is my 'skinny'. I also give Lehigh the edge on special teams now that Ed Mish is back as both PK and Punter. My crystal ball says that Lehigh may see some early game frustration from the Lafayette defense. But, eventually, the offense will get rolling and Lehigh's defense will be 'good enough' to handle the 'pards offense. Mountain Hawks will soar, 41-17.

    Oh,yes, as I have traditionally done since 1971. I replicate the banner my fraternity would hang as part of "The Hill" house decoration contest:


    NOVEMBER 18, 2017...THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!!!!
    Well said. A season of disappointed expectations. This team, particularly the D, took much longer ro gel than anyone expected. If indeed they have gelled.
    O has been a bit inconsistent with much of the blame put on Mayes. Brad has his flaws but they are not the sole or even primary cause of O up and down swings. #1 has to be the injuries to the WR corps. Christiano lost for the season. Casey and Portoreal out for various periods. Injuries on the OL to Short and Riccotilli as well as Evans and Wilkinson. Some seem to forget that we had revolving doors at Gs and C this season. We have started a G not on the 2 deep at the start of the season. Run blocking has not suffered but pass protection has been spotty at best.
    Hopefull going into 153 our D will have the same focus as last week. O needs to be at the top of their game. Pard front 7 is excellent.

  7. #7
    AGS FCS Champion Go...gate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Far from thy valley....
    Posts
    12,460

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Lafayette was 5-6 in 2013 when they won the auto-bid. They beat then 8-2 Lehigh for the outright league title. Leave it to the PL to potentially replicate the losing season feat twice in 5 seasons....
    IIRC, Lafayette was also PL champion at 5-6 in 1994.

  8. #8
    AGS FCS Champion DFW HOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,515

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

  9. #9
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    ngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    18,838

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Whatever rain is to occur on Saturday is now forecast to be only in the a.m., so the tailgating may be impacted, but precipitation may conclude by kickoff at 12:37 p.m. I agree with RichH2 that the key will be Lehigh's OL that has been a patchwork most of the season, including the loss of TE Paulsen. Mayes will need to be protected, but I fully expect the 'pards to come from all angles to put pressure on him. Brad must recognize the blitz's and adjust accordingly.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

  10. #10
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    ngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    18,838

    Re: THE RIVALRY #153, LAFAYETTE AT LEHIGH

    Great find. I did not get notice of this, or I did and inadvertently trashed it. Thanks.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

Similar Threads

  1. So I wrote this book on the Lehigh/Lafayette Rivalry...
    By Lehigh Football Nation in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 21st, 2014, 01:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 20th, 2014, 01:08 AM
  3. Lehigh: No. 6 Lehigh hosts Lafayette Saturday in 147th rivalry clash
    By News from the FCS in forum Patriot League Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
  4. The 146th Edition of the Lafayette-Lehigh Rivalry
    By Bogus Megapardus in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: November 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •