Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Furman @ Samford. Socon game of the week

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

Furman @ Samford. Socon game of the week

This game deserves a thread of it's own (hopefully it'll partition off the Furman fans claiming they're going to win a national title this year, but I digress).

Samford comes into this game at 7-3 (5-2 in the Socon), Furman 7-3(6-1). If Furman wins, they get a piece of the socon title. If they lose, both teams tie for second place.

Furman right now has the best offense in the socon in terms of scoring offense, 2nd in total offense and fifth in scoring defense. Samford is 3rd in both scoring offense and scoring defense, but is 8th in total defense.

Furman is the 3rd best rushing team, while Samford has the 7th best rushing defense. For Samford, that may look bad on the surface, but they've played three option teams (Kennesaw, Citadel and Wofford) and they still only average 173 yards a game and 4 ypc (which is fourth best in the Socon).

Samford has the best pass offense, while Furman has the best pass defense. Once again, that stat is a little misleading: Furman has had a lot of teams pass it on them in garbage time. Still, Furman has the second worst pass defense in terms of completion percentage.

As for less tangible stats, this game pits the most efficient offense (Furman, scoring points 51% of the time overall and almost 53% in Socon play) vs the most efficient defense (the Samford defense allows scores 23% of the time overall and an astonishing 19% overall in Socon play). Both teams are average or so (3rd or 4th) in terms of their efficiency on the other side of the ball, but it's clear that Furman leans on their offense and Samford leans on their defense.

On top of that, Samford averages the most possessions per game with about 13 on both sides of the ball. Furman on the other hand is down there with Wofford in terms of minimal possessions with about 11. I don't think Samford should want to push the game to so many possessions because Furman is so ungodly efficient with scoring. The only way that Samford wins with that many possessions is if they win the turnover battle and that's hard to predict.

I personally think Furman will win this game, even though I'm pulling against them. That offense is just hard to stop due to its efficiency. Even though Samford has had respectable performances against run-first offenses, in some ways I think they got lucky (there was a rain delay that helped them get their stuff together against Kennesaw, Wofford played with a bad center who fumbled the snap 4 times and ruined the rhythm of the game for 2.5 quarters, and the Citadel's offense just isn't good this year).

Right now, the YT quasi-statistical bull**** algorithm has Furman ahead 26-24, which is obviously in the margin of error. I'm picking Furman 41-31 in a game that goes back in forth but simply comes down to Furman's ability to score at will and Samford being unable to stop them. I'm hoping this isn't the outcome, but it's my best, most-educated guess.

Re: Furman @ Samford. Socon game of the week

I think this will be a good game. I know Samford will be amped up for it.

One thing that doesn’t show up in the stats is coaching. I’ve been extremely impressed with Furman’s new coaching staff on both sides of the ball. I think they’ve already put in some of their prep work on Samford during the bye week.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My Team
    Alabama State

This might be worth the drive over to Birmingham!

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

FCS Expert
    My Team
    Temple, Lehigh, Lafayette, Penn, Villanova

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    This might be worth the drive over to Birmingham!
    I’ve actually given a bit of thought to asking my brother if he wants to attend this game (he’s attending Mississippi State, I’m visiting him and my flight arrives on Saturday at about 12:15 PM CT, and the Columbus/Starkville, MS is about 2 hours from Birmingham), but I probably will pass. I have very limited interest in DI-AA games not involving Lehigh, Lafayette, Penn, or Villanova. Still, the idea I even gave passing thought to attending this game is remarkable in my mind.

Hopefully it is a good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Don't know what's going to happen, anything is possible, but I am surly looking forward to this one!

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Uffff, and this QB battle, gonna be a great one as well, both guys having stellar years

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

If Furman loses this game: the bad news they won't make the playoffs but the good news is that they'll probably run the table in the Socon next year. In a weird way, I think they're more likely to run the table next year if they get left out as there is precedent for it (2002-2003 Wofford 2013-2014 Chattanooga)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FUGameBreaker View Post
    Uffff, and this QB battle, gonna be a great one as well, both guys having stellar years
    In my opinion, Blazejowski should be first team All Socon and Hodges #2

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

[QUOTE=youngterrier;2565937]If Furman loses this game: the bad news they won't make the playoffs but the good news is that they'll probably run the table in the Socon next year. In a weird way, I think they're more likely to run the table next year if they get left out as there is precedent for it (2002-2003 Wofford 2013-2014 Chattanooga)
    /QUOTE]

Nothing beats getting a young team some playoff experience though

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I think if you sign up for the account you can get access here
    https://watchstadium.com/live/furman-at-samford/

Also, if for some reason you do have to pay something, it looks like it's $4.99 a month but free for the first month, so you could pragmatically sign up and then cancel
    I watched FU @ Colgate on this back in Sept. As I clicked around to get it to work, it seemed as if I was signing up for a pay-service, but no CC# was ever requested. They can't bill you anything without that. I think they are just trying to get email addresses. I think I rec'd just a few promo emails immediately after signing up, but nothing since.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Samford

Always great to be playing important football in the middle of November