Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
I think people underestimate the role of the interior DL when it comes to stopping the run (FWIW, Wofford didn't have our all-freshman NT in the first two games due to a two game suspension or the last two as he has Mono).

Samford probably won't be able to run the ball against Furman just as they weren't able to run the ball against Chattanooga or Wofford. I think Chattanooga, Wofford and Samford probably have the best defensive fronts in the conference. The only reason I don't put Furman up there is because I honestly haven't seen them enough. I know they lead the league in sacks, but often sacks are a measurement of the strength of the front 7, not the DL.

The fact that Samford has let up 183 ypg running the ball on the surface looks bad, but when you factor in the fact that they've played Georgia, Kennesaw State, Western Carolina and Wofford and they only average that much, that's not bad at all.

I imagine Furman will run for at least 200 on them, but how well that does for them in terms of points is another story. I think Blazejowski's passing ability is more of a key than people think as he's been very efficient in the last month. If he continues that efficiency/consistency, I think they win. But if he has a day where he's below 65% or so and Furman throws 20 times, they could be in trouble. From what I can tell it looks like he's learned how to throw on the run better in boot legs or has got in the habit to setting his feet before throwing (it sounds basic, but he was a pocket passer before this year and I think it took an adjustment) and that's probably why he's more accurate.

The more I think about this game, the more I think Furman should be favored but at the same time, that's when Samford thrives historically.

True