Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Socon Week 12 Power ranking and prediction

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    any chance of an SRO crowd of 11,000 or so?
    Samford's attendance this year:
    4,908 - Samford (KSU)
    4,509 - Samford (West Al)
    9,233 - Samford (The Citadel)
    3,523 - Samford (Chattanooga)
    5,178 - Samford (ETSU)

with only 5k in this past Saturday for ETSU, I'd say they top out between 7-8k......

What was so special about the Citadel game?
    Iím not as cool as Clenz

Master FCS Advocate FUGameBreaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    What was so special about the Citadel game?

Just guessing, but that was their parents weekend so probably good turnout for that, plus CIT was 3-0 #11 ranked at that time

I imagine Citadel fans travel well too. I think this one will have good turnout. It's pretty much a play-in game for the playoffs.
    Iím not as cool as Clenz

Samford's attendance has always been problematic. Their average attendance is right around the school's total enrollment, whereas at most schools, attendance is usually several times the enrollment. Apparently a significant part of Samford total enrollment of 5500 consists of graduate students (who are generally less likely to attend games) and actual undergrad enrollment is 3500 or so, which is still larger than undergrad enrollment at Furman and the Citadel, and twice that of Wofford and VMI.

I don't know if it is a tradition thing, or if Samford's alumni are just more likely to live farther away from campus than the other school's alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Samford's attendance this year:
    4,908 - Samford (KSU)
    4,509 - Samford (West Al)
    9,233 - Samford (The Citadel)
    3,523 - Samford (Chattanooga)
    5,178 - Samford (ETSU)

with only 5k in this past Saturday for ETSU, I'd say they top out between 7-8k......
    Just a wager, but with 5k in attendance for a homecoming game against ETSU, I don't think they'll top that against Furman. A lot of the "homecoming" types would have come to last weeks game, but are unlikely to make two in a row.

There are a lot of Furman alums in the Birmingham area, and a huge number in Atlanta. It wouldn't shock me to see a big Furman presence Saturday.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the leagueís roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Samford's attendance has always been problematic. Their average attendance is right around the school's total enrollment, whereas at most schools, attendance is usually several times the enrollment. Apparently a significant part of Samford total enrollment of 5500 consists of graduate students (who are generally less likely to attend games) and actual undergrad enrollment is 3500 or so, which is still larger than undergrad enrollment at Furman and the Citadel, and twice that of Wofford and VMI.

I don't know if it is a tradition thing, or if Samford's alumni are just more likely to live farther away from campus than the other school's alumni.
    I think itís similar to the problem that Furman and Wofford have, but compounded. Furman and Wofford are overshadowed by Clemson and USC, and really struggle to compete for attention. Samford has to deal with Alabama and Auburn - much, much worse.

Furman and Wofford, however, have stronger and longer football traditions, and that helps (though, not a ton, if youíre not winning). Samford, while theyíve turned into a really good program as of late, donít have that benefit. And they also lack the resources of larger upstart programs.

Iíd be interested to see how Mercerís attendance has been this year. They built and capitalized on the excitement of the program so well those first couple of years. But the games Iíve seen on TV, it looks like their fan base has maybe come back down to earth a little bit.

LarryBoy you are RIGHT ON correct!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    I think it’s similar to the problem that Furman and Wofford have, but compounded. Furman and Wofford are overshadowed by Clemson and USC, and really struggle to compete for attention. Samford has to deal with Alabama and Auburn - much, much worse.

Furman and Wofford, however, have stronger and longer football traditions, and that helps (though, not a ton, if you’re not winning). Samford, while they’ve turned into a really good program as of late, don’t have that benefit. And they also lack the resources of larger upstart programs.

I’d be interested to see how Mercer’s attendance has been this year. They built and capitalized on the excitement of the program so well those first couple of years. But the games I’ve seen on TV, it looks like their fan base has maybe come back down to earth a little bit.
    Mercer's attendance is hard to pinpoint. They sell a lot of season tickets. They also have a stadium where you can just sort of walk around, sit on the hill, etc., so its hard to know how many folks are actually sitting in the stadium.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the leagueís roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Mercer's attendance is hard to pinpoint. They sell a lot of season tickets. They also have a stadium where you can just sort of walk around, sit on the hill, etc., so its hard to know how many folks are actually sitting in the stadium.
    Yep - I think I would SWAG that, as a rule, for Mercer homes games, there are always 1/3 less people actually in attendance than announced (tickets sold vs. turnstile numbers) AND there are 1/3 more people there than it seems are there on TV due to the seating configurations mentioned, and the camera locations/focal points. The cameras are on the side where the band, the students, the opposing Team fans, etc. sit. That side is usually 85-90%+ full, but the cameras are pointing at the other side.

So...for the Samford game, 10,200 were reported in attendance. I would use the SWAG rule and say there were 6,800-ish there, but it probably looked like 4,500-ish on TV.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.