Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Socon Week 12 Power ranking and prediction

Quote Originally Posted by BearDownMU View Post
    But, evvvvvvery once in a while, you get this... LOL!

That's great.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I've been rolling around possible playoff scenarios.

I know it's not commonly agreed upon, but Brian McLaughlin of HERO Sports has both Furman and Samford in the field. https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...r-11-2017-ajaj

Best bet for Furman is to win Saturday and forget about it. Strangely, it's not beyond comprehension that an impressive showing by either Samford or Furman could slide them in as a seed.

A lot left in the air.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My fear is this past weekend in FBS. Uga at Auburn. ND at Miami. FSU at Clemson. Notice a pattern ? Home teams win and it's a huge advantage. Sometimes I think worth tons points. Scary. Only Bama survived on road. Barely.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    My fear is this past weekend in FBS. Uga at Auburn. ND at Miami. FSU at Clemson. Notice a pattern ? Home teams win and it's a huge advantage. Sometimes I think worth tons points. Scary. Only Bama survived on road. Barely.
    Each of those games was played in front of sell-out crowds of 60-80 thousand screaming fans in enclosed stadia, almost all of which were rooting for the home team. No-one in the current SoCon has that kind of environment. Home field advantage is often only worth a few points at most.

First Class FCS Ruler SCPALADIN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Each of those games was played in front of sell-out crowds of 60-80 thousand screaming fans in enclosed stadia, almost all of which were rooting for the home team. No-one in the current SoCon has that kind of environment. Home field advantage is often only worth a few points at most.
    If the weather plays out the way the gurus are predicting, Birmingham will be much like Cullowhee was a few weeks back. I'd imagine the crowd at the Furman-Samford game would be in the high 4000s... 1/4 of those being on the away side.

Quote Originally Posted by SCPALADIN View Post
    If the weather plays out the way the gurus are predicting, Birmingham will be much like Cullowhee was a few weeks back. I'd imagine the crowd at the Furman-Samford game would be in the high 4000s... 1/4 of those being on the away side.
    Generally, the away crowd is the more intense portion of the fan base - players parents, loyalists, etc.

I'm sort of expecting a pretty solid Furman contingent on Saturday.
    FU all the time.

Most forecasts now are saying the rain moves in a little later on - at around 6 PM. The current outlook calls for warm(around 70) and cloudy, but dry weather at game time. I'll check in another 10 minutes, however, seeing how this has changed so much this week. As for the attendance, I am not optimistic that we will have much of a home field advantage, as classes will be over and our students will be homeward bound, but I hope I'll be surprised. I too expect to see lots of purple across the field. Not only does Furman have a large alumni base in Birmingham, but they recruit well here, and have several B'ham area and other state of Alabama players on the roster.

We'll probably have a better impression of what the weather will look like in a couple days. This early, the forecasts often call for rain a couple hours early/late than what actually happens
    I’m not as cool as Clenz

Regular FCS Advocate Purpleglasses's Avatar

Forecasts are getting pretty good, but there is a 2-3 hour window that could change the timing...we will see.
    a few weeks ago, even a week out, the forecast Nailed the weather we had in Cullowhee...I am still drying out from that game.

Top FCS Advocate NorthChuckSouth's Avatar

Citadel @ Clemson -
    ETSU @ Chattanooga - 23-17
    Wofford @ USC - I think that this could be a close game but I don't think Wofford's D is good enough to pull out a W
    Western @ UNC - 42-10
    Furman @ Samford - 35-14
    Mercer @ Bama ​- 56-3