Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 12

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN – Actually, people should care about this because the Raiders need to win, just in case … Does anyone think they won’t? Does anyone think Georgetown will score?
    Actually, Colgate does not need to win to keep their Patriot League championship hopes alive; they need a Lehigh loss and only a Lehigh loss to win the PL title, due to the Patriot League's 3-way tiebreaker rules for football. Colgate's game is actually meaningless with regard to the PL title picture.

Am ready for my 38th straight L-L game, with the pard too going to all 37 so far! Whats the spread on this one.
    Last edited by Pards Rule; November 17th, 2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: correction from 37th to 38th

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Understand that I my suggestion for the end-of-the-year games was mostly a gag, but in all seriousness, why not come up with some arrangement to end like this (assuming BU and Loyola don't shock the world and start football again):

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
    Colgate vs. Cornell
    Holy Cross vs. Georgetown
    Fordham vs. Columbia
    Bucknell vs. Penn
    Brown vs. URI

Regional rivalries the week before Thanksgiving would be really good draws, I think, year in and year out, and it takes a bunch of bad matchups the last weekend of the year and makes them into decent games.

The best new additions would be Colgate/Cornell and Brown/URI, which are contested generally in September but would be great season-enders. And I sensed some enthusiasm for Fordham/Columbia to be rekindled on Rose Hill - they really should play each other every year, and if it were a season-ending game I think it would do even better.

Admittedly Penn/Bucknell is a bit of a reach but Penn/Cornell hasn't exactly been a pulse-racing season-ender for the Quakers either, and Dartmouth/Princeton has blossomed into its own sort-of weird rivalry on its own. If they wanted to break that up, you could make it Dartmouth/UNH and Princeton/Penn to end the year, but then Bucknell is left in the cold and would have to end against St. Francis (PA) or Duquesne.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    Understand that I my suggestion for the end-of-the-year games was mostly a gag, but in all seriousness, why not come up with some arrangement to end like this (assuming BU and Loyola don't shock the world and start football again):

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
    Colgate vs. Cornell
    Holy Cross vs. Georgetown
    Fordham vs. Columbia
    Bucknell vs. Penn
    Brown vs. URI
    Lehigh vs. Lafayette
    Colgate vs. Bucknell
    Holy Cross vs. Fordham
    Georgetown vs. Villanova
    Richmond-William & Mary
    Boston U-Northeastern

Now, if only there was a conference to accommodate this...
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post

Admittedly Penn/Bucknell is a bit of a reach but Penn/Cornell hasn't exactly been a pulse-racing season-ender for the Quakers either, and Dartmouth/Princeton has blossomed into its own sort-of weird rivalry on its own. If they wanted to break that up, you could make it Dartmouth/UNH and Princeton/Penn to end the year, but then Bucknell is left in the cold and would have to end against St. Francis (PA) or Duquesne.
    Back in the day Cornell/Penn was the big rivalry and Princeton/Dartmouth also has historic tradition. Talk to many of the old geezers on this board and you will find this is true..i.e. myself eating hamburger sandwiches at tailgates in the Palmer Stadium parking lot.

Regarding this year's PL Championship: "In our hearts we all know Colgate is the real PL Champion"...
    2003 NCAA Finalist

LAFAYETTE 20 @ LEHIGH 31
    COLGATE 34 @ GEORGETOWN 17
    BUCKNELL 23 @ FORDHAM 21
    1-AA is tops!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    COLGATE 34 @ GEORGETOWN 17
    Appreciate the optimism. Aside from two outliers (Princeton, Lehigh), Georgetown averages 7.8 ppg in its other eight games this season.

Hoyas have not scored more than 14 on the Red Raiders in any of the last four meetings.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

LEHIGH
    COLGATE
    BUCKNELL

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    The brain dead schedule makers think so much of this matchup that it's been scheduled for Saturday, September 1st next season.

Which brings up a critical question that no one has addressed: is there a central scheduling body for the League, or is everyone on their own?
    I believe the PL tries to set up their schedule a few years in advance, but by having the schools submit any existing contracts with OOC teams in order to work around if not clear the first five weeks of the season.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by ColgateTD View Post
    Back in the day Cornell/Penn was the big rivalry and Princeton/Dartmouth also has historic tradition. Talk to many of the old geezers on this board and you will find this is true..i.e. myself eating hamburger sandwiches at tailgates in the Palmer Stadium parking lot.

Regarding this year's PL Championship: "In our hearts we all know Colgate is the real PL Champion"...
    That is true. Penn/Cornell was a huge rivalry when the Ivy was 'big time'. It carried over for a few decades, but then Cornell has just withered on the Ivy vine. Due to proximity, one would think Penn/Princeton is a 'natural' rivalry, but Princetonians look down on Penn.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016