Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Regular FCS Advocate soconjohn5's Avatar

Re: SoCon Playoff chaos scenario

So Furman lost to one of the best teams in the CAA--Elon--by three points....Furman would destroy Towson and Rhode Island...Could probably beat Delaware and William & Mary and it would be a toss-up with Richmond...The only losses I could say for sure might be Nova and JMU.

Quote Originally Posted by soconjohn5 View Post
    So Furman lost to one of the best teams in the CAA--Elon--by three points....Furman would destroy Towson and Rhode Island...Could probably beat Delaware and William & Mary and it would be a toss-up with Richmond...The only losses I could say for sure might be Nova and JMU.
    I am not trying to knock the SoCon (particularly as a backer of a SoCon school), but doesn't this post actually say that Furman would be no better than a 5-3 and possibly 4-4 with a tossup game with Richmond in the CAA? I kind of agree with that thinking, and what it probably means is that the leagues are very close to one another and 5-3 in one is not that different than 5-3 in the other. The CAA is bumped up because their top-2 are considered better than the SoCon top-2. Looking at it this way, I probably wouldn't feel real comfortable in either league if you are 5-3 in conference games. Assuming things hold, it will come down to the top-2 from each getting in, and then if there are several 5-3'ish teams from each, name recognition and ranking will probably sway people.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Read through the whole thread, "only Wofford gets in" still seems to work best
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

I'd say Wofford and Western in is the sure thing.
    Please excuse all posts made before 2016

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I obviously like what you think of WCU, but we still have games against Furman, Citadel, and Mercer. Based on what I have already said is needed, that means at minimum 2-1 in those 3 games. Right now, I just hope Western is focused on beating ETSU this week and VMI next week to make that tough "down the stretch" set of games be as meaningful as everybody thinks they will be. Two weeks from now we could easily be looking at 3 teams with only 1 league loss, or we could be looking at a bunch of us with 2 losses, or we could be looking at Wofford basically having the conference championship in hand. Basically the "every week is a playoff" seems to be more true after about the 1/2 way point each season for many teams in the top 3 or 4 FCS leagues.

Perhaps my confidence is showing, but I think we're gonna see Citadel fall of the rails in the coming weeks (I would say more, but I don't want to come off as being overconfident in Wofford's game this week; long story short, regardless of the outcome this weekend there are some trends that should alarm the Citadel in terms of their offensive efficiency). I also don't think Mercer will be able to hang with all three of Samford, Western or Furman when they hit full stride.
    Please excuse all posts made before 2016

Regular FCS Advocate soconjohn5's Avatar

I don't necessarily disagree, WCUGrad95...I don't dispute the MVFC is the best football conference in FCS...I have a problem with CAA bias....They aren't that much if at all better than the SoCon...Just have more teams....Let's be honest.

Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

Your about to take a really fun rafting trip......lol

AGS FCS Master

Perhaps my confidence is showing, but I think we're gonna see Citadel fall of the rails in the coming weeks (I would say more, but I don't want to come off as being overconfident in Wofford's game this week; long story short, regardless of the outcome this weekend there are some trends that should alarm the Citadel in terms of their offensive efficiency). I also don't think Mercer will be able to hang with all three of Samford, Western or Furman when they hit full stride.
    Old news. Been decreasing since game one as competition level increased. Obviously the experience level/skill increase has not kept track with the competition. 3 freshmen and 1 soph on the OL and zero experience at BBack will do that. Not to mention our WRs (aka blockers). We did lose, like 13 starters. Eh. Season ain't over yet.

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by soconjohn5 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, WCUGrad95...I don't dispute the MVFC is the best football conference in FCS...I have a problem with CAA bias....They aren't that much if at all better than the SoCon...Just have more teams....Let's be honest.
    Agreed.