Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon Playoff chaos scenario

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

SoCon Playoff chaos scenario

Looking at the Socon right now, I think we're going to get 2 teams in the playoffs for sure, with 3 being the most likely number. There is one possible scenario in which 5 get in, here it is.

Wofford (currently 5-0) wins (at least) 3 of the next 5, finishing 8-3 or 9-2 (outcome against Citadel is irrelevant.

Western Carolina loses to both Furman and Mercer and finishes 7-4

Samford loses to Mercer and Furman, finishes 7-4 but beats Wofford

Furman wins out, but loses to Mercer, finishes 7-4.

Mercer wins out, finishes 7-4.

Some may look at this and say that only Wofford gets in. They would also point out that Samford wouldn't/shouldn't qualify, noting having 7 D1 wins. But they did last year. Samford could have a quality win at Wofford

Furman could have quality losses to Wofford, Elon, NC State and Mercer but quality wins against Western and Samford

Mercer would have a quality win at Furman and Samford, and a quality loss to Wofford, Auburn and an understandable loss to Alabama.

And finally Western would have numerous quality losses and a quality win against Samford.

Now, will this happen? No idea? does it harm the concept of quality wins or losses with this sort of inconsistency? Yes

But all of this is possible, as is the socon playoff race

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: SoCon Playoff chaos scenario

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Looking at the Socon right now, I think we're going to get 2 teams in the playoffs for sure, with 3 being the most likely number. There is one possible scenario in which 5 get in, here it is.

Wofford (currently 5-0) wins (at least) 3 of the next 5, finishing 8-3 or 9-2 (outcome against Citadel is irrelevant.

Western Carolina loses to both Furman and Mercer and finishes 7-4

Samford loses to Mercer and Furman, finishes 7-4 but beats Wofford

Furman wins out, but loses to Mercer, finishes 7-4.

Mercer wins out, finishes 7-4.

Some may look at this and say that only Wofford gets in. They would also point out that Samford wouldn't/shouldn't qualify, noting having 7 D1 wins. But they did last year. Samford could have a quality win at Wofford

Furman could have quality losses to Wofford, Elon, NC State and Mercer but quality wins against Western and Samford

Mercer would have a quality win at Furman and Samford, and a quality loss to Wofford, Auburn and an understandable loss to Alabama.

And finally Western would have numerous quality losses and a quality win against Samford.

Now, will this happen? No idea? does it harm the concept of quality wins or losses with this sort of inconsistency? Yes

But all of this is possible, as is the socon playoff race
    I was about to suggest on the other thread that you should do the math on this and work through it. Cool - Thanks!

I'm sure the MVFC, CAA, and Big Lie Conference guys will be right over soon to support the 5 Teams from the SoCon scenario! They'll LOVE IT!!!
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion

Mwahahaha! Chaos!!!!

Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Samford got in last year after losing to ETSU in the last week, so anything could happen. But, unless the MVFC and CAA beat themselves bloody, only 1 or 2 7-4 SoCon teams would get in.

All I want is for Wofford to run the table and let everybody else figure it out.

My Team
    Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Samford got in last year after losing to ETSU in the last week, so anything could happen. But, unless the MVFC and CAA beat themselves bloody, only 1 or 2 7-4 SoCon teams would get in.

All I want is for Wofford to run the table and let everybody else figure it out.
    BINGO!!!

My Team
    Wofford

Let's just continue to stay above the chaos by continuing winning.....let the others deal with the mess...

FCS Master

Samford got in last year probably because the win at UCA was very significant. I don't think our Kennesaw State win this year will swing that much weight. All of these scenarios are possible, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I was in coaching for many years, although granted on the HS level, and I used to think I could watch teams and sorta tell which team was what. NOT this year with the SoCon. Really, I don't even know what my Bulldogs are made of just yet. The talent I do recognize, and it could mean we run the remaining(SoCon) table. We could also lose Saturday week and throw in the towel. If we are honest, those same statements can be said for 4 or 5 other SoCon teams. Although Wofford is in the best position right now, the old cliché "this race will go down to the wire" certainly comes to mind.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

only Wofford gets in
    There, much more concise and more accurate.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

I think Wofford has an 80%+ chance of making the playoffs this year. We'll be favored against Chatt, ETSU, VMI and probably are this week against the citadel. Samford will be a competitive game. We only need 2 wins to meet the 7 D1 win mark and since the playoffs have expanded to 20+ teams, an 8-3 Wofford team has not been left out. The infamous 2002 "Wofford team" was 9-3 with 8 D1 wins (maybe more?), but that was in a 16 team field. Absolutely no way we get left out at 8 wins now.

either way, I'm not concerned about Wofford not making the playoffs, and I think Western will make it as well as they too should be favored against VMI and ETSU. They then need to win 1 of 3 against Citadel, Mercer and Furman, and I think they are capable of winning at least 2 of those.

Samford is the real 8 ball because it's only been one year where they haven't finished 7-4/8-3 and they've already lost 2 this year with Wofford, Furman and Mercer still on the schedule.

Having said that, I think a 7-4 Mercer team should get in, as should a 7-4 Furman team.

I think Wofford has an 80%+ chance of making the playoffs this year. We'll be favored against Chatt, ETSU, VMI and probably are this week against the citadel. Samford will be a competitive game. We only need 2 wins to meet the 7 D1 win mark and since the playoffs have expanded to 20+ teams, an 8-3 Wofford team has not been left out. The infamous 2002 "Wofford team" was 9-3 with 8 D1 wins (maybe more?), but that was in a 16 team field. Absolutely no way we get left out at 8 wins now.

either way, I'm not concerned about Wofford not making the playoffs, and I think Western will make it as well as they too should be favored against VMI and ETSU. They then need to win 1 of 3 against Citadel, Mercer and Furman, and I think they are capable of winning at least 2 of those.

Samford is the real 8 ball because it's only been one year where they haven't finished 7-4/8-3 and they've already lost 2 this year with Wofford, Furman and Mercer still on the schedule.

Having said that, I think a 7-4 Mercer team should get in, as should a 7-4 Furman team.
    As I noted in the other thread, Wofford could finish 9-2, lose to Samford and USC, and finish 3rd in the SoCon.

That 2013 season is a cautionary tale about handling your business while you have the opportunity to. UTC shared the SoCon title and was left home.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."