Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Re: The Future of the Big South

Quote Originally Posted by tenNesseeCat View Post
    No disrespect to anyone...but I feel like (football) they would add more than some of the other recent additions did/do. Elon was decent, but they were like the yankees of the socon. vmi is a dumpster fire that has burned out at this point.

JSU appears to bring a good crowd. Their facilities look good. They field a good team. I'm sure their academics aren't what Samford or Mercer bring, but I think a lot of that is bs anyway. I've known complete morons who attented wake forest, unc, davidson.

So why would FU and The Citadel look down their noses at JSU?
    YOU and chatty are the outliers in the SoCon now. Don't look for another large public to come in EVER unless somebody leaves and probably not even THEN. You can take shots at vmi all you like but they have FAR more history in this league than western carolina EVER will.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    YOU and chatty are the outliers in the SoCon now. Don't look for another large public to come in EVER unless somebody leaves and probably not even THEN. You can take shots at vmi all you like but they have FAR more history in this league than western carolina EVER will.
    Maybe...but that was a poor deflection of my points. I meant no disrespect.

Also, ETSU is a public school that may be larger than us.
    Mark Speir - "I say it each week and I mean it. I thank the good Lord for putting me in Cullowhee for this time and this place."

First Class FCS Advocate wcugrad95's Avatar

Campbell is an interesting program - they would seem to "fit" more with how the SoCon has been moving. We lose some big, public universities (App State and Georgia Southern), and with the football-playing schools the split between the bigger schools that we still have (Western, UTC, ETSU) and the smaller and/or private schools (Furman, Citadel, Wofford, VMI, Samford) would mean adding a program like Campbell really means the conference skews towards the smaller bias. While Mercer is a private school, and ideologically (at least the outside perception would say) they appear much more like a Furman or Wofford, I believe they have the 4th biggest enrollment and kind of sit "in between" those two ends of the spectrum. If I could wave a magic wand I would probably replace VMI. But I could also see all kinds of changes shaking out once the Power 5 decide what is best for them to print money and the rest of the conferences (FBS and FCS) have to scramble. That change will certainly impact FCS football. When that happens, I could see a SoCon that is made up entirely of NC, SC, and GA schools.

And I kind of agree with citdog on the number - 9 football-playing schools is good. That is 8 conference games, 1 "money" game, and then 2 games to either challenge yourself with another top FCS program, or an opportunity to play another geographically relevant rival OOC, or a chance to pick a couple of easy wins to help your win/loss total!

And regarding the history of the SoCon, originally it included lots of big, public universities including the likes of many "big boy" schools - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, South Carolina, etc. The conference basically started with what is now the core of the ACC and SEC. Over the years it certainly has started going in a different direction, but of all the member schools currently in the league Western is tied with UTC for the 3rd longest tenured school behind Citadel and VMI (who as we all know were out of the league for over a decade before rejoining in 2014). Western and UTC have now been a member of the SoCon for 41 straight years, so I would argue our vote should count as much as anybody's.

And yes - ETSU just joined back and I believe they are the largest football-playing school in the conference (nearly 15,000 students). UNCG is also in the conference for basketball, and I think they are approaching 20k students.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wcugrad95 View Post
    And regarding the history of the SoCon, originally it included lots of big, public universities including the likes of many "big boy" schools - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, South Carolina, etc. The conference basically started with what is now the core of the ACC and SEC. Over the years it certainly has started going in a different direction, but of all the member schools currently in the league Western is tied with UTC for the 3rd longest tenured school behind Citadel and VMI (who as we all know were out of the league for over a decade before rejoining in 2014). Western and UTC have now been a member of the SoCon for 41 straight years, so I would argue our vote should count as much as anybody's.

Well guess what......It DOESN'T...

you forgot furman
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Well guess what......It DOESN'T...

you forgot furman sucks
    FYP

I did miss Furman - they joined the same year Citadel did. So WCU and UTC are tied for 4th longest tenured of all the current members, and 3rd longest contiguous membership in the last 40 years behind Citadel and Furman.

Quote Originally Posted by wcugrad95 View Post
    And I kind of agree with citdog on the number - 9 football-playing schools is good. That is 8 conference games, 1 "money" game, and then 2 games to either challenge yourself with another top FCS program, or an opportunity to play another geographically relevant rival OOC, or a chance to pick a couple of easy wins to help your win/loss total!
    If it were 12 you could just play your division and rotate two in the other division. Could add JSU and two other state schools, and do a public/private split
    Mark Speir - "I say it each week and I mean it. I thank the good Lord for putting me in Cullowhee for this time and this place."

First Class FCS Ruler KnightoftheRedFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Yes - this should play very well with the Leadership of The Citadel & Virginia Military Institute...

Embarrassing.

Cheers for the cheerleaders that respected America.
    Red Flash and Army fan.

Quote Originally Posted by tenNesseeCat View Post
    If it were 12 you could just play your division and rotate two in the other division. Could add JSU and two other state schools, and do a public/private split
    At 12 teams and 2 divisions of 6, if you play your "side" that is only 5 games. So you would need to play 3 from the other "side" in order to not have to fill so many OOC games. I personally don't see any reason/benefit for an FCS conference to have a conference championship game because it would cost money rather than make money to put on. Having 9 and playing everybody seems to make more sense, and allows for set schedules.

But it is fun to talk about. So add Campbell to the small/private side, add JSU to the larger/public side. While JSU is public, I think they are about the same size as Mercer. Who else???

Larger schools: WCU/UTC/ETSU/JSU/Mercer/need 1 more and Mercer might prefer to be on the "other" side
    Smaller schools: Wofford/Furman/VMI/Citadel/Campbell/Samford

Kennesaw State really doesn't fit all that well - as they are an ultra-large (comparatively-speaking) school with something like 35k students.

Again, I think staying at 9 is the right thing to do, and introducing a JSU or Campbell or anybody else should be as a replacement or the result of some massive down-stream fallout from the P5 screwing "college athletics" up even further.