Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of the Big South

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

The Future of the Big South

I have a few questions about the Big South as a football conference. As a basketball conference, the league is doing just fine with the team it has, but I'm wondering what the long-term plan is for the Big South.

Right now, the Big South has six teams and, if I'm not mistaken, another team to join in the next couple of years (North Alabama?). But they also will lose liberty to the FBS. I'm obviously not a close follower of the conference and I'm certain I'm missing some datapoints here.

Another point of concern, I think, is that Monmouth is not in the South and not close to many of the members (new and old). Further, don't you need a minimal amount of teams in a conference to become playoff eligible?

It's also not an option for the football conference to disolve and merge with the Socon. With the exception of Kennesaw and North Alabama(?), they don't really add much to the geographic footprint of the conference. I'd love to see the Socon grow to 12 teams and split into two divisions (like the CAA used to be), but that won't happen.

So what are the options for the Big South?

Re: The Future of the Big South

Campbell will join next season as per the A-Sun/Big South agreement.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Jax State

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    Campbell will join next season as per the A-Sun/Big South agreement.
    Campbell was already a full member except for football, which is upgrading from the Pioneer League.

North Alabama will be an associate football member with everything else in the A-Sun. Kennesaw and Monmouth are also football only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCS Master

Campbell is going to be a nice addition to the Big South. Their football stadium, basketball arena, baseball stadium, and other athletic facilities are very very good. Interest in the football program is bringing good crowds, and their team is getting better. The future looks bright for the Camels, IMO. As a matter of fact, and this is just me, I think they would possibly even be a good addition for the SoCon sometimes in the future. Not saying it will ever happen, just saying that Campbell is trending upwards.

Top FCS Advocate NorthChuckSouth's Avatar
    My Team
    Charleston Southern

Like it's been said before.. Campbell is coming in next year and North Alabama is coming in the year after. Jacksonville has the option of coming in also. There's a couple other schools in the A-sun that have the same option if they ever started up a football program.

As far as monmouth.. yeah them being in the big south doesn't exactly go with the geographical footprint but the trip up there is cool for the players..a lot of the guys haven't been that far north before so it's pretty cool for them to get up there. I think they will become more competitive in the near future also.

Coastal and Liberty have been the "powerhouses" up until the past couple years so losing those programs hurt the conference but I think the new additions will be fine. Just going through a transition period so we'll see how it goes. I really think North Alabama will become a good team in fcs. I think the big south will be back to where it has been the previous 3-5 years in about 4-5 years.

@youngterrior I 100% agree that a merger would be good.. two subconferences and the winner those two play in a conference championship game. But I don't see how that could be beneficial with the playoff system FCS has in place.

My Team
    Wofford

I'd like to see more consistency out of the three Carolina teams in the Big South before anyone throws around words like merger.

That's not to say it can't or won't happen (would be great if it did!), but they all need to play better and maintain it.

First Class FCS Ruler Sir William's Avatar

The SoCon and the Big South will not merge b/c the SoCon does not need the Big South.

That said, I could see Campbell getting a SoCon invite in the next 6-8 years. A nice fit.

My Team
    Wofford

I think Kennesaw would be a good fit too, but the problem with PC/GW/CSU is their location and consistency.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I think Kennesaw would be a good fit.
    Yes - this should play very well with the Leadership of The Citadel & Virginia Military Institute...

NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Yes - this should play very well with the Leadership of The Citadel & Virginia Military Institute...

Now the cheerleaders are doing it? At least they have 4 proud americans.