Quote Originally Posted by centennial View Post
Polasek was a melding of NIU and Bohl era NDSU. Messingham IMO is using better plays. We are still a NFL like offense, just with different sets. Just because NDSU has some spread formations doesn't actually make us spread. I think the biggest thing is the ability to take what teams will give you, coach P wasn't that great at it. His bad play calling lost us the semi final game vs JMU last year. Messingham seems better at taking what other teams will give you, I have heard Coach Klieman saying the same thing.
This is one reason why I have yet to question the offense. Usually, during the Polasek era, the Bison would run power A gap until the defense was gassed, and then change it up and get the offense out of rhythm, and we would shake our heads wondering what was going on and why he would do that. That said, the teams they have played are mediocre-to bad-to awful, outside of maybe EWU, but in the EWU game specific, he ran the ball knowing they could not stop it and then found a way to work TE seams and hot routes, and then when the box opened up again, power A gap and power I sets.