Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    Not discounting it out of hand, but I have a hard time strongly connecting PL woes to not having the 91st to 100th best players playing on their teams.

I think the AI is still probably the toughest hurdle to climb in terms of recruiting (along with not having redshirting... but just dealing with what we can work with here)....as well as the coaches in the league (in general) not being used to recruiting with scholarships yet. Still a work in progress but I think many PL schools and their fans' patience is wearing thin.
    Well the AI is a restriction but more to attracting a new members than to competitiveness. For the most part, admission requirements in the PL exceed the PL AI floor. It does limit to a certain extent how many low band recruits a coach can bring in but even those merely have to exceed the floor.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Not discounting it out of hand, but I have a hard time strongly connecting PL woes to not having the 91st to 100th best players playing on their teams.

I think the AI is still probably the toughest hurdle to climb in terms of recruiting (along with not having redshirting... but just dealing with what we can work with here)....as well as the coaches in the league (in general) not being used to recruiting with scholarships yet. Still a work in progress but I think many PL schools and their fans' patience is wearing thin.
    I don't think this is the right way to look at it. The way to see this is a PL football team today has a pool of 90 players they can suit up in August and say "these guys can be football players". The staff doesn't know at that point whether players 91-100 that would have been in camp would a career scout team all-star or a future all-Patriot League starter. Again, this has an larger impact than you might expect.

It's also worth noting that as far as I can tell other conferences don't have limits like this on their preseason roster sizes - or indeed any limits on their roster sizes for home games at all. I couldn't find any historically for the CAA, Big 12, SoCon, or Big Sky. Now they do have travel roster limits - in the Big 12 you can't dress more than 70 players for a road game (and even then there are exceptions). Travel roster size limits make sense. But schools like Princeton, Monmouth, or Villanova can try out any number of walk-ons to become football players, and can dress them all during home games vs. Patriot League schools. In contrast, Patriot League schools can only invite 90 bodies to camp in August.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    It's also worth noting that as far as I can tell other conferences don't have limits like this on their preseason roster sizes - or indeed any limits on their roster sizes for home games at all. I couldn't find any historically for the CAA, Big 12, SoCon, or Big Sky. Now they do have travel roster limits - in the Big 12 you can't dress more than 70 players for a road game (and even then there are exceptions). Travel roster size limits make sense. But schools like Princeton, Monmouth, or Villanova can try out any number of walk-ons to become football players, and can dress them all during home games vs. Patriot League schools. In contrast, Patriot League schools can only invite 90 bodies to camp in August.
    While other conferences do not have roster limits, they do have the 63 limit on schollies (Ivy excepted). 3 more rides could be 6 more partial bodies, but after that they are walk ons everywhere. Not sure how many walk ons we could reasonably expect at PL schools given tuition $$'s.

Frequent FCS Advocate Colgate Raider Redux's Avatar

You are clearly not referring to the situation in every PL school. ( "I think many PL schools and their fans' patience is wearing thin." ). You may be accurately characterizing the situation at H.C.. I know your comments don't reflect the situation at 'gate. The % of P.L. students, alums, fans and other school constituencies that care about this as much as you do, is very small. Imho, these PL group members should take a close look at histotical athletic decisions made by TPTB at H.C., that precede this "loss of fan patience." They'd feel uncomfortable being included in your homogenous PL grouping of "impatient fans."

Specifically on the A.I, H.C. is not at a disadvantage in recruiting aganst other P.L. and Ivy schools. H.C. has a distinct advantage provided by their current academic data. Maybe H.C. will be at a disadvantage when it plays Syracuse and Navy in back to back weeks in the same season in 2019. The latter is another example of an H.C. decision, not a P.L. decision.
    Last edited by Colgate Raider Redux; October 13th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by LehighU11 View Post
    Oddly enough, everyone has 1 or 2 OOC wins except for the 2 miserable Lehigh Valley teams with the inside track to the PL title. It is such a down year for LU that the Athletics Department is marketing 153 as a matchup of two unbeatens:

Tickets for the Lehigh-Lafayette game are close to selling out. Get yours now. Lehigh (1-0) and Lafayette (2-0) are both undefeated in Patriot League play.
    Hey, it could be a heck of a battle for the auto-bid to New Hampshire or Richmond.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    Per Big Green Alert, Harvard Coach Tim Murphy throws some shade at the PL, saying (perhaps accurately) that scholarships have not made a difference.

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.co...g-numbers.html
    I think he's correct. I really don't think the scholarships have had 'significant' impact. Most of the kids are still the same we would have gotten. Each team gets a few skill people or behemoths we might not have normally gotten, but not enough to really change the dynamics.
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    Let's talk about schollies for a minute.

We talk about schollies as if there were two eras: Before Schollies and After Schollies. But with the implementation of schollies also came other key restrictions: squad sizes and practice restrictions, both of which I would argue are more relevant to the current state than schollies in their own right.

http://articles.mcall.com/2012-06-08...-league-roster

1. One of the hidden costs of scholarships was the inability to have relatively large roster sizes (a restriction that, tellingly, the Ivy League has chosen not to implement). The change of the overall roster size from (I think) sometimes topping 100 players down to 90 by last year is a much bigger change than it sounds. It allows for more scholarship money to be concentrated towards the top, sure, but the pool of partials and walkons that might have been able to be developed to form some depth or scout team rosters - those bodies are no longer there.

2. Practices have gone from full-contact to limited-contact very recently as well, as in this year. I can't remember if this is a league-wide edict or something that is working its way into college football overall in general, nor am I sure if this is a gradual process that has been happening over the course of years. But I do believe this has an impact when PL teams play out-of-conference competition early in the year, especially when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines. I don't know if Villanova, Monmouth, practices with full contact or not; maybe they truly are more skilled. But I have my doubts that the discrepancy is that severe.

My theory is that the combination of these two other factors are conspiring to have PL schools lag behind the other full-scholarship conferences. There are other things that could be done to improve the quality of football development at PL schools (redshirting, redshirting, and also redshirting), but even if redshirting is not in the cards, I think relaxing practice restrictions and increasing squad sizes would help Patriot League competitiveness overall. IMO.
    The IL schools have rostes with other 100--Princeton had 120 on the sideline the last time we visited Old Nassau. Everyone knew that smaller rosters were going to be problem, especially when the injury bug bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Raider Redux View Post
    You are clearly not referring to the situation in every PL school. ( "I think many PL schools and their fans' patience is wearing thin." ). You may be accurately characterizing the situation at H.C.. I know your comments don't reflect the situation at 'gate. The % of P.L. students, alums, fans and other school constituencies that care about this as much as you do, is very small. Imho, these PL group members should take a close look at histotical athletic decisions made by TPTB at H.C., that precede this "loss of fan patience." They'd feel uncomfortable being included in your homogenous PL grouping of "impatient fans."

Specifically on the A.I, H.C. is not at a disadvantage in recruiting aganst other P.L. and Ivy schools. H.C. has a distinct advantage provided by their current academic data. Maybe H.C. will be at a disadvantage when it plays Syracuse and Navy back to back in the same season in 2019. The latter is another example of an H.C. decision, not a P.L. decision.
    Think you're wrong here....perusing various PL boards, I know fans/supporters are exasperated at Fordham and Lehigh (as well as HC) with how they have performed this year.

I'm pretty sure you're "realism" on the HC board....no? Always bird-dogging and putting down Holy Cross there...it's cool, no worries.. we can take it.

The league survived a pretty bad OOC record in 1994 when it had no scholarships. It will survive the present situation.

Frequent FCS Advocate Colgate Raider Redux's Avatar

perusing various PL boards, I know fans/supporters are exasperated at Fordham and Lehigh (as well as HC) with how they have performed this year.
    I mean no harm. I have no idea what/who "realism" is.
    I just think the breadth and depth of the H.C. problems are significantly greater and different than at Lehigh and Fordham (and the rest of the P.L). Those 2 institutions have had some success in recent years. There's no way to equate the cumulative wear on the psyches of H.C. fans with fans of any other P.L. institution. The distinctions go on and on. You sound like an H.C. "Rip van Winkle." Or a "selective amnesiac."
    H.C. is emerging from a multi-decade "bad dream" and a dismal football record over the past few years, The way you characterize H.C.'s place in the current world presupposes that the "bad dream" and the recent dismal 6 year performance never happened.....Your characterizations assume that H.C. has re-emerged to an entitled place within the collegiate athletic landscape. You assume that the perceptions of H.C. haven't changed dramatically within this landscape--most recent perfomance doesn't really count.....you assume opinion within the current athletic landscape provides special credit for selective H.C. accomplishments from before the beginning of the "sad dream."
    Last edited by Colgate Raider Redux; October 13th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.