Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Socon Week 7 pick em and power rankings

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I think Furman is a 7-4 team. Which is good. I don't think they'll run the table with the rest of their schedule. Samford and Western have the capability to match them stride for stride on the offensive end and Mercer may well give them problems. That would still make them a playoff team, but I really don't want to play them again, so I hope they finish 6-5
    7-4 would be ASTOUNDING for such a young team with 1) all new schemes and 2) all new coaches and 3) some key injuries. 4-3 now running a 3-4. Best receiver is out. Three linebackers out. We are playing 18-20 freshman ... Just based on that number of freshman we should be getting manhandled

6-5 Furman would be pretty scary for the future for other SoCon teams honestly ... For reasons I posted in the line above plus considering the prior team was senior loaded and won..3 games w prior coaches. To take a 3 win team and get to 5/6 wins in the first year ( including a 1 pt loss to top five Woff and 3 point loss to top ten Elon ) is phenomenal.

I think Furman is a 7-4 team. Which is good. I don't think they'll run the table with the rest of their schedule. Samford and Western have the capability to match them stride for stride on the offensive end and Mercer may well give them problems. That would still make them a playoff team, but I really don't want to play them again, so I hope they finish 6-5
    As, I've said, I've seen enough this year that if Furman doesn't win another game I'll feel really good about the future and direction of the program.

I don't think any team left on the schedule is going to out talent Furman or push them around. We probably won't run the table, but I think we'll have a pretty good shot to beat everyone.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Furman
    Western Carolina
    Mercer
    Wofford

Major FCS Advocate FUGameBreaker's Avatar

Yep hoping Blaze is ok, hold him out for vmi and hopefully he is ready to go against mercer in 2 weeks

I would take that for sure.
    FU vs MEAC team in first round, then get another crack at that 2 point conversion at Wofford in 2nd round!
    Heck I would love another shot at Elon as well!

Elon looked like a really bad loss for Furman at the time, but they have proven to be a pretty good football team.

First Class FCS Ruler FurmanWins!!'s Avatar

PJ Blazejowski coming in 3rd in overall QB efficiency rating, right below easton stick at ndsu. Get healthy young man we need you
    http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/f...t/individual/8

If you take away FBS teams and ranked teams, Furman is 3-0. They could have been 5-1 including wins against ranked teams with one or two more plays bouncing their way.

First Class FCS Advocate wcugrad95's Avatar

I know there is a long way to go, but given that so many teams have to play each other between the most likely playoff contenders (Wofford, WCU, Samford, Furman) and the guys who still have outside chances (Mercer, Citadel, and even ETSU), how many teams do you guys think will get playoff nods? I think if you lose 3 SoCon games you probably aren't going to make it. The league has a 12-12 OOC record, and still have several FBS games to go in the last 2 weekends of the season. We don't have any OOC games to hang our hats on, and I expect that we end up with several 2 and 3 conference loss teams.

What I really like is how these FU kids have been in every game for the last 10 against FCS competition and really fought hard to get better

FU last 10 FCS games:

Beat ETSU by 45
    Beat VMI by14
    Lost to Wofford by 7
    Beat WCU by 28
    Lost to Mercer by 3
    Lost to Wofford by 1
    Lost to Elon by 3
    Beat Colgate by 31
    Beat ETSU by 21
    Beat UTC by 24

You can really see how this program is turning the corner, even in those loses they were against good FCS teams and we had a chance to win each of them.