Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Ruler FurmanWins!!'s Avatar

Re: Socon Week 7 pick em and power rankings

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Does not have a thing to do with Week 7, but I did see where someone (a GSU fan, I think) posted the Furman-Georgia Southern game from 2004. I imagine if you had a list of the top 5 SoCon games in the last 40 years, that contest would be on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxi2v3wzg8k

A second ranked GSU team led by Chaz Williams, Jermaine Austin, and a freshman receiver named Jayson Foster went into Greenville against third ranked Furman, led by Ingle Martin and Jerome Felton. Both teams also sported aggressive, big, and fast defenses.

For the nostalgic types, the video is also a good opportunity to remember what Paladin Stadium looked like with 17,000+ in attendance.

Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by BearDownMU View Post
    Holy crap dude. I just thought it was funny Furman had a guy named Cam Newton because there is another guy you might see in the NFL from time to time ALSO NAMED CAM NEWTON. Triggered much?
    sorry, long day. my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by BearDownMU View Post
    I get what you are saying but not sure I can agree with it. Holding Auburn to 24 and forcing 5 turnovers certainly seems relevant to evaluating the defense. Also, Jacksonville is D1 FCS.

But, hey, it's your math.
    In math terms, the way you play against FBS is "noisy" more than it is a signal, just because of how different an atmosphere it is. Citadel lost to Chatt but beat Carolina, in 2008 Wofford played USC closer than App State and so on. All I'm saying is that if we're evaluating overall performance, it's better to look at conference competition because those are the most consistent variables. Everyone plays everyone. Jacksonville may be Division one, but they're also not full-scholarship. The same goes for Davidson. And Colgate (I think?). But if we're comparing OOC performances as if they are all equal, you'd think Mercer's offense is a lot more effective than it is. Heck, you'd say the same about the Citadel (The citadel is about +15 ppg better on offense when you factor in OOC).

So, when doing the math and trying to figure out a good predictive model, take OOC out.
    Please excuse all posts made before 2016

Georgia Southern.,
    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanWins!! View Post
    Classic!
    I sure remember that 2004 Furman Team. They played at Samford that year even though we weren't yet in the SoCon. They edged us 45-10, LOL. I also remember watching their Pittsburgh game, and I don't think I have ever seen a game whose outcome was anymore determined by the stripes than that one. The Paladins were totally robbed. I intended to watch just a part of that video, of FU vs GS, but wound up watching the entire game, and it sure is a classic. Just noticed also that our present D-Line coach was a starting DE for that Georgia Southern team. Glad you linked this.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    In math terms, the way you play against FBS is "noisy" more than it is a signal, just because of how different an atmosphere it is. Citadel lost to Chatt but beat Carolina, in 2008 Wofford played USC closer than App State and so on. All I'm saying is that if we're evaluating overall performance, it's better to look at conference competition because those are the most consistent variables. Everyone plays everyone. Jacksonville may be Division one, but they're also not full-scholarship. The same goes for Davidson. And Colgate (I think?). But if we're comparing OOC performances as if they are all equal, you'd think Mercer's offense is a lot more effective than it is. Heck, you'd say the same about the Citadel (The citadel is about +15 ppg better on offense when you factor in OOC).

So, when doing the math and trying to figure out a good predictive model, take OOC out.
    Nah, no math for me. I'd rather just watch film and rely on my eyes. My preferred predictive model.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Georgia Southern.,

I sure remember that 2004 Furman Team. They played at Samford that year even though we weren't yet in the SoCon. They edged us 45-10, LOL. I also remember watching their Pittsburgh game, and I don't think I have ever seen a game whose outcome was anymore determined by the stripes than that one. The Paladins were totally robbed. I intended to watch just a part of that video, of FU vs GS, but wound up watching the entire game, and it sure is a classic. Just noticed also that our present D-Line coach was a starting DE for that Georgia Southern team. Glad you linked this.
    I had forgotten how physically imposing that Furman linebacker corps was. I cannot imagine what a QB thought looking across the line and seeing the 6'3 240 William Freeman staring back at him. That guy could cover some ground.

I recall that I gave Furman a very small chance of being competitive in that game. We were top five, but Georgia Southern had been completely steamrolling every one they played. In the seven games before playing Furman, GSU had been held under 40 points just once. They had scored over 50 at least 5 times. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004..._football_team

I always sort of attributed some of Furman's ability to win that game late in that Furman played some 4 quarter games that season and faced some adversity. GSU never had. They never had to play a full game, run a two minute drill, play from behind, or manage the clock.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler SCPALADIN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Georgia Southern.,

Made the trip for that game. Yes, we were robbed. I must have had 20 people come up to me on the walk back to the car asking me who/what/where Furman was. It was also fun (sad?) listening to the local sports radio on the drive from the stadium calling for Pitt's coach, Walt Harris, to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by SCPALADIN View Post
    Made the trip for that game. Yes, we were robbed. I must have had 20 people come up to me on the walk back to the car asking me who/what/where Furman was. It was also fun (sad?) listening to the local sports radio on the drive from the stadium calling for Pitt's coach, Walt Harris, to be fired.
    Of course, that Pitt team won the Big East and went to the Fiesta Bowl.

Harris was fired anyway.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Master FCS Advocate Catamount87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    Wonder when somebody will post the game where Ol Dingleberry Martin threw 5 picks against western carolina???
    Martin wasn't the only one stinking it up. Furman also gave up 2 sacks, had a missed FG, lost a fumble and turned it over on downs, twice.

That was our crazy 9 game season when we went 5-4. That season was really the calm before the really dark period of Catamount football. Coach Briggs was battling cancer that fall and the Nicholls St game was cancelled because of hurricane Rita. The next season we open 2-0 with a convincing win over a ranked EKU and enter the rankings at #22. Then the injury bug starts, we lose 9 straight which included a payback beatdown by Furman. A study of the football program is initiated after the end of the 2006 season. To many of us, it was clear by this time that Briggs had lost control of the team. Coach Briggs would be let go in Nov 2007 after a disastrous 1-10 season.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    1. Wofford:
    2. Furman:
    3. Mercer:
    4. Western Carolina:
    5. Samford:
    6. Chattanooga:
    7. Citadel:
    8. ETSU:
    9. VMI:

VMI @ Furman
    ETSU @ WCU
    Chattanooga @ Mercer
    Wofford @ Citadel

May come back and flesh some of this out...may not.
    I really would like to see your top-25 now