Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon Week #3 Pick 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount87 View Post
    Furman @ NCSU - Which Furman team shows up? If it's last week's team, this will be ugly.

The Citadel @ ETSU - The 'Hops trounce the Bucs
    VMI @Robert Morris - If VMI keeps up their current pace this will be the third stop in a possible winless season
    Mercer @ Auburn - A valiant effort but Auburn cruises in the 2nd half
    WCU @ Gardner-Webb - The Cats can move the ball and can score. Defense is much improved over 2016 when the Cats beat the Dogs 44-14
    UT Martin @Chattanooga - The Mocs notch their first W of 2017
    Samford @ Georgia - Oh boy, Uga X may even have a big day

I've essentially seen the same Furman team both weeks. I'm a little amused by these folks that had us highly ranked last week after almost beating Wofford, and now have us at the bottom after almost not losing to Elon.

I could say that Furman spotted Elon three touchdowns early and dominated much of the game afterward. I could also point out that the SoCon refs absolutely screwed us late in the game. Those are just excuses. Furman played well enough to win, and lost a disheartening game to a beatable team.

Furman is incredibly young, with an entirely new coaching staff, and completely new systems on both sides of the ball (not just new coach running a similar system). They are going to have to lean how to close out games late. We are going to see growing pains like we did Saturday.

The NC State game may be ugly, but the goal is to keep getting better and cause trouble for the meat of the SoCon schedule.
    Last edited by PaladinFan; September 11th, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd

Furman @ NCSU
    The Citadel @ ETSU
    VMI @Robert Morris
    Mercer @ Auburn
    WCU @ Gardner-Webb
    UT Martin @Chattanooga
    Samford @ Georgia
    Ah Horse Feathers!

I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway, Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it!
    Your proposition may be good, But let's have one thing understood: Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it!

Wofford by 1 point over Open Date.
    "Fight the fight today. There are going to be times that you are going to get whipped. But stand up, fight again, fiight again, and fight again!!! There's four quarters and we are not stopping; we aren't going to lay down, get down or be put down... we are going to fight the fight."
    Coach Mike Ayers

First Class FCS Advocate Cat-in-GA's Avatar

Furman @ NC State - NC State wins by > 30
    The Citadel
    @ ETSU - The Citadel wins by > 14
    VMI @ Robert Morris - I want to pick VMI, but after seeing them lose to Catawba, RM wins by 3
    Mercer @ Auburn - Good luck Mercer
    Western Carolina
    @ Gardner-Webb - WCU wins by >21 and puts up more than 500 yds in total offense
    UT Martin @ Chattanooga - This is going to be a close game. Chatt squeaks out a win by <4
    Samford @ Georgia - This is going to be an ugly beatdown. UGA by >45

First Class FCS Ruler BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorthChuckSouth View Post
    The Citadel @ ETSU -
    If that happens, I'll be in a state of shock.
    Once upon a time, I was an ETSU alumnus who attended Appalachian State. But then the "evil ones" (Paul Stanton and Dave Mullins) killed it and I became an Appalachian State fan. A few years later:

- Paul Stanton retired
    - Dave Mullins "retired"
    - Appalachian State moved on to greener pastures in the Sun Belt.
    - ETSU brought back football and came home to the SoCon.

It's going to be great being a Buccaneer again.

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonjoe View Post
    Wofford by 1 point over Open Date.
    ...and the game will be even closer than the final score indicates!
    Last edited by FUBeAR; September 11th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

AGS FCS Champion
    In Hell preparing rooms for OVC officials.

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    Wolfpack
    Cadets
    Keydets
    Allbarn
    Catamounts
    Chatty Kathys
    UGA
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    If that happens, I'll be in a state of shock.
    He was just trolling. He picks against us every week. But far as our game goes, I think the way you guys stay close is by moving the sticks... slowly. We have some issues in pass defense so if you can knock out a few passes here and there and keep the ball away from our O, you can keep it close. Or if you find a way to stop us a few times. If our offense chews up 35-40 minute, it will be tough for you. We seem to be doing a lot of Qb switching as well, and I expect us to toss a few passes again ourselves. I really like having two very capable QBs. You will be better than Newberry and PC so I hope to see even more improvement from our oline. I may try and go to the game, but I may have to go to Chucktown and check on house.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

UT Martin isn't bad but I think UTC matches up well with them. We should finally be able to run the ball.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I've essentially seen the same Furman team both weeks. I'm a little amused by these folks that had us highly ranked last week after almost beating Wofford, and now have us at the bottom after almost not losing to Elon.

I could say that Furman spotted Elon three touchdowns early and dominated much of the game afterward. I could also point out that the SoCon refs absolutely screwed us late in the game. Those are just excuses. Furman played well enough to win, and lost a disheartening game to a beatable team.

Furman is incredibly young, with an entirely new coaching staff, and completely new systems on both sides of the ball (not just new coach running a similar system). They are going to have to lean how to close out games late. We are going to see growing pains like we did Saturday.

The NC State game may be ugly, but the goal is to keep getting better and cause trouble for the meat of the SoCon schedule.
    I just don't get this "almost not losing" thing. They "almost didn't lose" to Wofford too. But FU still has a record of 0-2 overall and 0-1 in the SoCon. A loss is a loss and Elon was a bad loss. I can say that I almost did not lose the lottery...but I'm still not getting any money. Don't get me wrong, I still have mad respect for Furman, both as a good school and a football program with history...God knows they have blistered Wofford's behind many a time. I am quite sure that they will once again be a premiere program in the SoCon and in FCS as a whole at some point. But you can't like what you saw Saturday. Right now the team still has a ways to go, despite their "almost win" at Wofford. They will get there, and when that time comes, there will be hell to pay for the SoCon. But that time is not now...at least not in the eyes of this football fan.