Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Are there programs you just can't win at?

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    If Nicholls can turn the corner and be competitive, any program can.

Playing TAM tough is pretty dang good.

First Class FCS Ruler GodHelpTheBears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    I don't want to completely crap on it, but I suspect A&M has quit on Sumlin. For now, I consider their effort against UGA last year more impressive.
    The only untenable situation is the one you are in right now. Support the dissolution of football at Missouri State University.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    I thought TAMU would be so pissed after that UCLA fiasco that they would blow Nicholls out of Kyle Field. Nicholls has been super impressive so far this season. They were pretty good last year and seem to be just getting better.
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
    Bob Stitt cant win at Montana.........

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Bob Stitt is a joker. Gimmick offense, and bad defense. I called it 2 years ago. His schemes aren't even close to good enough to dominate the FCS. Plus what kind of coach publicly blames his players. Montana went from a top 5 team, to not even a top 30 team. Disappointing, I used to look up to Montana as a program when NDSU was becoming D1.

A little more background...

Stec is signed through 2021. He will not be bought out at any point - the cost is simply too high for us to eat.

Men's basketball coach Paul Lusk is on the hot seat right now. Any pooling of booster funds will be going toward taking care of his situation and finding a replacement first.

Our athletic director is attached at the hip to our president. Our president is generally loved and he says our AD will be here as long as he is here.

From what I can tell no meaningful change will occur for at least the next 5 years.
    The only untenable situation is the one you are in right now. Support the dissolution of football at Missouri State University.

If the past 6-7 years are any indication, it would be JSU. Multiple one possession loses, multiple OT losses, but just can't get over the hump.

It honestly starts at the top with the Chancellor/President and BoR/BoT. If those entities want to have a successful athletics program, they will make efforts to do so.

From there, they'll hire a competent AD and support him/her financially, within school and system rules. From there, it will snowball with an AD that will hire contentment fund raising staff, increasing Alumni donations and corporate sponsorship, and hiring a competent Head Coach who will bring in talented coaches and student athletes.

It's what happened at A&T and NCCU, and is happening at PV and other HBCU programs.
    Last edited by WestCoastAggie; September 10th, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    It honestly starts at the top with the Chancellor/President and BoR/BoT. If those entities want to have a successful athletics program, they will make efforts to do so.

From there, they'll hire a competent AD and support him financially, within school and system rules. From there, it will snowball with an AD that will hire contentment fund raising staff, increasing Alumni donations and corporate sponsorship, and hiring a competent Head Coach who will bring in talented coaches and student athletes.

It's what happened at A&T and NCCU, and is happening at PV and other HBCU programs.
    Ah, there are breaks at almost every part of the process at Missouri State.

• We don't have a competent AD. Our President has no interest in replacing him.
    • We make token efforts to fund raise, and money will not be allocated to increase that.
    • We have an "alumni association", but no alumni chapters. From personal experience, their fund raising efforts consist of calling me at 9 pm on a weeknight.
    • We've been losing for so long that we don't know what a competent head coach looks like. As time goes on, Terry Allen looks more and more like a competent coach who just hit our program's low ceiling, he didn't look all that competent at the time because I did not realize how low the ceiling really was back then.

When it's going on 30 years since even token success in the sport, to me it is time to open a frank dialogue with your community. Does football actually matter at your school? If it does, where are the disconnects? How much money to fix it? Do you have enough money to fix it? Even if you do, is it worth it?

First Class FCS Ruler BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    If Nicholls can turn the corner and be competitive, any program can.
    It helps when you have a sophomore QB who is the nephew of a former NFL quarterback playing for you. Nicholls had nothing to be ashamed of when they played Georgia last season and Texas A&M yesterday.
    Once upon a time, I was an ETSU alumnus who attended Appalachian State. But then the "evil ones" (Paul Stanton and Dave Mullins) killed it and I became an Appalachian State fan. A few years later:

- Paul Stanton retired
    - Dave Mullins "retired"
    - Appalachian State moved on to greener pastures in the Sun Belt.
    - ETSU brought back football and came home to the SoCon.

It's going to be great being a Buccaneer again.

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

First Class FCS Ruler BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post

From there, they'll hire a competent AD and support him financially, within school and system rules. From there, it will snowball with an AD that will hire contentment fund raising staff, increasing Alumni donations and corporate sponsorship, and hiring a competent Head Coach who will bring in talented coaches and student athletes.

I agree with that statement and then some. The "leadership team" we had at ETSU pre-Noland would not know what to do their vision for the school if they had a vision for the school. Compare that to today, our football team is playing in an on-campus outdoor stadium for the first time in decades, our men's basketball team took Florida to the limit in the NCAA tournament, our softball team made the NCAA tournament for the first time last season. I can go on and on about how ETSU is turning the corner as a university.
    Once upon a time, I was an ETSU alumnus who attended Appalachian State. But then the "evil ones" (Paul Stanton and Dave Mullins) killed it and I became an Appalachian State fan. A few years later:

- Paul Stanton retired
    - Dave Mullins "retired"
    - Appalachian State moved on to greener pastures in the Sun Belt.
    - ETSU brought back football and came home to the SoCon.

It's going to be great being a Buccaneer again.

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.