Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 3

Yale 35 @ LEHIGH 42 - Lehigh has shown us they have a definitive ceiling with how far they can go due to defense. Yale is a winnable game for them though.
    Eastern Washington 46 @ FORDHAM 29 - Fordham has shown significant regression this season, so has EWU.
    Marist 13 @ GEORGETOWN 24 - Go Hoyas!
    New Hampshire 42 @ HOLY CROSS 24 - UNH suffers from FBS hangover, HC makes it tougher than it should be, for awhile.
    LAFAYETTE 20 @ Villanova 38 - Just a better team
    BUCKNELL 6 @ William & Mary 34 - Bucknell isn't very good
    COLGATE 30 @ Buffalo 31 - Buffalo almost beat Army, they get benefit of doubt here.

LEHIGH
    Eastern Washington
    GEORGETOWN
    New Hampshire
    Villanova
    William & Mary
    COLGATE

AGS FCS Champion TheValleyRaider's Avatar

4-2 last week, 10-2 on the year. Lehigh and the alma mater were both disappointments. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, though, so dust off and do it again.

Yale at Lehigh Lehigh Shifting expectations in Bethlehem after a disappointing defeat. It wasn't so much the loss (Lehigh did drop one to Monmouth last year), but they way they went down has the mountain men feeling down. Speaking of results from last year, the Hawks hammered Yale, which has to make them feel a little better about this matchup. This squad may not be the caliber of recent Lehigh teams, but this is a program that performs well against the Ivies. Hawks at home for win #1.

Eastern Washington at Fordham Eastern Washington Speaking of diminishing expectations, this is a fascinating matchup. While it has lost considerable luster since first being announced, this is one of those cross-country games you don't see much of, and I think the League would like to see more often. The Bronx is a long trip for the boys from Cheney, but the Rams are also a step down in competition from Texas Tech and North Dakota State. A win here for Fordham would be bigger than Colgate's win at Cal Poly, given what the Eagles have done nationally in recent years, but that's also why it's hard to pick such a thing happening.

Marist at Georgetown Georgetown Once again, the Hoyas start the year with a victory, and have a chance to stay unbeaten into Week 3. Georgetown's offense remains limited, at best, but their defense is solid. Marist has already faced a similar combination against Bucknell in Week 1. It didn't go well for the Foxes. I see a similar, if slightly closer, contest here.

New Hampshire at Holy Cross New Hampshire This, for my money, is the most interesting game on tap for Saturday. The Crusaders have shown well so far this year, but the national power Wildcats are a different test. Interesting subplot, UNH has played a rival and an FBS opponent to start the year; does that cause them to go a little light (at least at first) in Worcester? Would that be enough to give HC a shot? Being at home is nice, but I have to pick the Cats, especially since they are probably better than a team the Crusaders already lost to.

Lafayette at Villanova Villanova Well, this escalated quickly for the Leopards. From Monmouth and Sacred Heart (respectable programs) to a CAA contender like Villanova is quite a step. The young Leopards appeared to have some moments in those first two games, but not enough to win there. I won't be surprised if Lafayette hangs around for far too long in this one (as I am never surprised by anything Lafayette does), but "far too long" could easily mean, "late in the 1st quarter."

Bucknell at William & Mary William & Mary Two weeks, two blowouts for the Bison, one each direction. William & Mary is a solid program, but one I feel like I haven't heard much about on the national stage recently. A look at their recent seasons shows a 9-win campaign in 2015, but overall a slightly above average record. "Slightly above average" in the CAA usually trumps similar from the Patriot League, and I can't say Bucknell's last game suggests they are even at that level this year.

Colgate at Buffalo Colgate I don't really know what to make of this one. A victory in our more recent FBS games would have been the stuff dreams are made of, but those are also programs of a much higher caliber than the Bulls. Raiders were game, but ultimately not enough in coming up short against Richmond, who could very well be a better team than Buffalo. Rather than break down a team I don't really know much about, I'd rather look fondly back to our last meeting with UB, a 38-15 romp that included the introduction of future Payton Award winner Jamaal Branch. I'd gladly sign up for a similar outcome, especially if it means another breakout offensive performance.
    7-4 (5-1)
    Patriot League Champions - 1997 1999 2002 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2017
    NCAA Playoffs - 1982 1983 1997 1998 1999 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015
    NCAA Championship Game - 2003
    1932 - Undefeated, Untied, Unscored Upon
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    One hopes Lehigh has their WTF game out of their system. However, veteran teams are supposed to improve from game 1 to 2 not disimprove. Some key injuries to Bragalone and Christiano doesn't help LU offense. D still a work in progress after 4 years. Without some semblance of D this team goes nowhere.
    I'll await the 2 deeps before picking. Not an easy week for PL.
    I believe Lehigh will be fine. Villanova is a capable club and Monmouth looks like they could be a force in the Big South. A win this week over the Eli will get the Engineers' train back on the track.
    Last edited by Go...gate; September 12th, 2017 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    I believe Lehigh will be fine. Villanova is a capable club and Monmouth looks like they could be a force in the Big South. A win this week over the Eli will get the train back on the track.
    Thanks Hope you're right.

If Lehigh continues to drown and Pards figure out their defense, 153 may be interesting. Pards are not great but the mark of a good coaching staff is if we actually improve... we had no hope of that under T since 2010... 2013 was an aberration.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Pard4Life View Post
    If Lehigh continues to drown and Pards figure out their defense, 153 may be interesting. Pards are not great but the mark of a good coaching staff is if we actually improve... we had no hope of that under T since 2010... 2013 was an aberration.
    Exactly. That will be the real measure of the 'pards this year. Not the W-L's, but whether they get better. My sense in seeing good portions of both 'pard games, is that they were basically the same team. No discernible improvement, but no regression, either; as opposed to us who showed some great signs of potential against Villanova, but had no 'fire' at Monmouth. 153 could be interesting since, by then, the young pards won't be young anymore.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Thanks Hope you're right.
    I can easily see you guys going 9-2 or 8-3 and winning the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    I can easily see you guys going 9-2 or 8-3 and winning the conference.
    ........and then getting destroyed in round 1. Pains me to say it, but w/o true commitment from top-down, what we've seen is what we will continue to get!

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now