Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Top FCS Ruler

Re: FBS Transfers increase with coaching changes

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?
    Sorry, can't help you sort this one out for two reasons: A. UNH doesn't take any FBS transfers. B. UNH never has a coaching change. (Striving for an obnoxious nomination next time)

ACU had a coaching change this past season and we've brought in quite a few transfers as well. We've brought in 10 FBS transfers this past offseason and a few other JUCO and D2 kids. The good thing is though is this won't be a yearly thing, we're just doing it to shore up thin positions like DB and OL.

My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?
    yes, very common. hard to change a culture overnight. even if the culture is good, you want your own guys. i think it's especially true if you're changing schemes. going from a 4-3 to 3-4 (or vice versa) is a huge change and will require different body types. going from triple option to spread will require way different athletes. as a coach, you can't wait a few years for all the freshmen to mature. you need some "veterans" to help speed up the transition, and/or even out your recruiting classes.

as a side note, i always find it odd when people say they don't like transfers. why? who cares how you get someone? they're still picking your school. do you get mad at your wife because you weren't her first boyfriend? go get as many transfers as you want, knock yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pod View Post
    Looks like you guys are reloading for another run this year. Man, you guys have a great defense. Good luck in 2017
    I c wut you did there.
    Sundown in the Paris of the prairie
    Wheat Kings have all their treasures buried

AGS FCS Expert
    In Hell preparing rooms for OVC officials.

It's what Grass did. After the fiasco last season we pushed hard on the high schoolers and only took two FBS guys. I guess it's just how the coaches are trying to fill the rosters to fit their plans and get a start.

Not sure how many transfers we were taking before Clark/Grass, but this year is a definite drop off on transfers.

We even had some (Al Harris thankfully) leave.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

It depends on the situation. Sometimes a new coach doesn't wants to bring in folks who fit his scheme rather than try to make it work with the last coaches players. School, league, and coach specific philosophies play a part too. There are usually more transfers when a coach takes over a failing program than when a coach is replacing one that's been successful and moved up.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    It's what Grass did. After the fiasco last season we pushed hard on the high schoolers and only took two FBS guys. I guess it's just how the coaches are trying to fill the rosters to fit their plans and get a start.

Not sure how many transfers we were taking before Clark/Grass, but this year is a definite drop off on transfers.

We even had some (Al Harris thankfully) leave.
    Grass takes character issues and older players who never did Crack the rotation. That's not what arth has done at all.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

AGS FCS Expert
    In Hell preparing rooms for OVC officials.

Grass takes character issues and older players who never did Crack the rotation. That's not what arth has done at all.
    Arth didn't need anymore players with issues. He inherited enough as is.

Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

I think it all depends if the new coach runs the same style O and D. And the staff might have different philosophies. Thats always a tricky thing trying to run and O with other coaches players. What are the players going to think when the new coach comes in and he a run first offense guy as opposed to an air university style of play.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!