Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FBS Transfers increase with coaching changes

My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

First Class FCS Ruler GodHelpTheBears's Avatar

Re: FBS Transfers increase with coaching changes

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?
    I can't speak for others, but in our case we tend to be pretty stringent when it comes to allowing transfers. It's an informal university policy that has held up through different coaches. If it's anything to do with a behavioral or legal issue, we tend not to consider them. Dorial Green-Beckham and Maty Mauk were two recent cases - they had parents in Springfield, full support systems intact and were as low risk as cases like those could be and our university President still publicly said we wouldn't consider admitting them.

In fact, over this offseason we've welcomed three (only two made it to campus, but it's the thought that counts), which is high for us. One grew up in Springfield and turned down playing time at Oklahoma State to come home, the other came from Iowa but grew up in Carrollton, TX, in an area our current coaching staff recruits thoroughly.
    "You may be clean, but you suck" - cx500d

Often pitied, never envied

Looks like you guys are reloading for another run this year. Man, you guys have a great defense. Good luck in 2017

I assume that is, in part, to help try to bridge the gap between systems with the coaching change over.

It is not the case with Furman, though. New coaching change and significant roster attrition due to graduation and other reasons. Furman's only "transfers" are from Air Force Prep (there are two), but I'm not really sure how you classify them.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion

NSDU had a coaching shake-up a couple years back and didn't have a lot of transfers, maybe one or two but when you are the Alabama of the FCS, you are able to get only the best high school recruits and NDSU develops those kids in order for them to adapt and grow within the program.

There, that ought to be good for a couple more votes in the obnoxious poll and BTW, I have seen this quote often in Bison circles.

The trend is either guys who are proven ala Bridges, and Orr, or young guys who probably aren't going to play a ton right away anyway. Not a whole lot of older guys who had 3 or 4 years to crack a rotation and just couldnt, or discipline problems. There are some exceptions but a lot of these guys are depth guys. Russ Huesman left a lot of talent.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Quote Originally Posted by The Pod View Post
    Looks like you guys are reloading for another run this year. Man, you guys have a great defense. Good luck in 2017
    Ssshhhh. Our program is a mess.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Master FCS Advocate Redbird 4th & short's Avatar

When Spack first arrived at ISU, there was a lot of roster turnover because 1) they weren't his guys, and 2) he works his players very hard. So with a "new sheriff in town", I view this as very normal to have high turnover while new coach rebuilds roster .. which takes a good 4 years. So Spack had a lot more FBS transfers (maxed around 12-14 at anyone time .. not per year) up until about 2012, then quickly weened that number down to less than 5 at any one time .. maybe 2 per year.

It should also be noted, very few FBS transfers hit ground running their 1st year at ISU. Most are on 2nd or 3rd string before working their way up, or quitting/pushed out. Couple notable exceptions were Shelby Harris and Tre Roberson. But very few started their 1st game, nor got a lot of reps early.

True story .. Spack had Auburn stud FR RB Michael Dyer in his office begging to accept him .. FR player of year in SEC after getting 1100 yards at 6 ypc. Spack said no. Our RB cupboard was solid but with very little depth at the time 2011-12 .. we could have sure used a good RB in 2012 after our top 3 RBs all got injured or were playing banged up.
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; August 11th, 2017 at 09:33 AM.

From what I remember, this was a big year of FBS transfers for JMU. Many at positions where more depth was needed after losing key talents to graduation (WR, OL, LB) and places where depth is always welcomed (DL). Not many currently slotted to 100% be the starter as we had good, just untested talent on the roster already. I'm not a fan of a ton of transfers but we'll see how Houston does as he tries to get his guys installed and even out the classes.
    #1 James Madison University (14-1) vs. All 2017 challengers starting in August!

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    NSDU had a coaching shake-up a couple years back and didn't have a lot of transfers, maybe one or two but when you are the Alabama of the FCS, you are able to get only the best high school recruits and NDSU develops those kids in order for them to adapt and grow within the program.

There, that ought to be good for a couple more votes in the obnoxious poll and BTW, I have seen this quote often in Bison circles.
    The difference between your change and their change was your coach was an assistant in the system already. Sure he is bound to run things slightly different, but not as much shake up as say bringing in a complete outsider.