Thread: SouthernPigskins' SoCon Preseason Position Rankings: Running Back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: SouthernPigskins' SoCon Preseason Position Rankings: Running Back

I know everyone hates to put much stock into transfers, but I think Darrell Bridges as a graduate transfer will end up being a big key to the Mocs offense this year. Add in a 5'11" 250 FB from Arkansas to block for him and Bagley, and we could jump up towards the top side of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by UCMoc View Post
    I know everyone hates to put much stock into transfers, but I think Darrell Bridges as a graduate transfer will end up being a big key to the Mocs offense this year. Add in a 5'11" 250 FB from Arkansas to block for him and Bagley, and we could jump up towards the top side of the list.
    His 2000+ yards don't count, he has 0 yards, you heard them.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    I don't care what it says now. Let's see what it says at the end of the year!

I don't care what it says now. Let's see what it says at the end of the year!
    Well of course he does have over 2000 yards in his career behind a terrible Oline on a terrible offense.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Well of course he does have over 2000 yards in his career behind a terrible Oline on a terrible offense.
    That's what makes him such an good transfer. Not comparing the UTC line to the Dallas Cowboys of old, but it's like the old question about what would Barry Sanders have done behind that line. I wonder what Bridges can do with talent around him.

That's what makes him such an good transfer. Not comparing the UTC line to the Dallas Cowboys of old, but it's like the old question about what would Barry Sanders have done behind that line. I wonder what Bridges can do with talent around him.
    Idk, our line is by far the biggest question mark. Darrell is a good back. He's not quite Derrick Craine IMO, but he runs similarly hard. It will interesting to see whether he or Bagley get more touches.

Tom Arth

Idk, our line is by far the biggest question mark. Darrell is a good back. He's not quite Derrick Craine IMO, but he runs similarly hard. It will interesting to see whether he or Bagley get more touches.
    True, I guess I was thinking more about him having been the primary weapon that opposing defenses had to stop and that won't be the case here.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

No offense intended toward Mr. Bridges. I LOVE HIM! One of my former Players & also my good friend's son play for PC, so I have watched a good bit of Blue Hose Football in recent years. That Offense has been so bad that Bridges should get 2 yards credit for every yard he gained there! But there's the nature of why I chose to 'zero out' Transfers' Stats in my analysis. Too much variability in competition-level & Offensive philosophy/style, etc. of where they transferred in from to draw reasonable inferences from that data, IMO. Barring injury, Bridges will play a major role for the Mocs this year.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    No offense intended toward Mr. Bridges. I LOVE HIM! One of my former Players & also my good friend's son play for PC, so I have watched a good bit of Blue Hose Football in recent years. That Offense has been so bad that Bridges should get 2 yards credit for every yard he gained there! But there's the nature of why I chose to 'zero out' Transfers' Stats in my analysis. Too much variability in competition-level & Offensive philosophy/style, etc. of where they transferred in from to draw reasonable inferences from that data, IMO. Barring injury, Bridges will play a major role for the Mocs this year.
    That's a fair way to do it. I'm glad to hear that you think so highly of him. Out of curiosity, since you have seen more of him than I have, where would you rank him individually among the RB's in the SoCon this year?

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

That's a fair way to do it. I'm glad to hear that you think so highly of him. Out of curiosity, since you have seen more of him than I have, where would you rank him individually among the RB's in the SoCon this year?
    I think if you look at the individual analysis I did, there are 5 RB's that have CLEARLY PROVEN their ability to produce very solid results for their Teams - Newsome from WCU, Lakes AND Mitchell from Mercer, Jackson from CIT, and Bagley from UTC. I think Bridges 'fits in with that crowd' pretty well. I think his style is most like Newsome's (vs. the other 4), but I'm not sure he has the raw speed that Newsome does.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model