Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: MU to CAA speculation

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    It was him going rogue in 2011. Now they're saying, "if it's a right fit", which we suppose is anything other than the sun belt (which they actively turned down). They're holding out for the mythical unicorn that is a new east coast G5 conference consisting of SBC and CUSA teams in the east that are tired of sending their tennis teams to Texas.
    I'm still wondering why James Madison didn't go FBS instead of CCU. If that is why they turned down the Sunbelt they may have to wait a while until those TV contracts run out. And by then they might not want to make the move.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'm still wondering why James Madison didn't go FBS instead of CCU. If that is why they turned down the Sunbelt they may have to wait a while until those TV contracts run out. And by then they might not want to make the move.
    This pretty much sums up what is and will happen. We're CAA4LYFE. Sorry Monmouth. You'll have to petition to join while we're still in the CAA. Maybe Rhode Island will move up first. It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

First Class FCS Ruler DirtyDukes's Avatar

This pretty much sums up what is and will happen. We're CAA4LYFE. Sorry Monmouth. You'll have to petition to join while we're still in the CAA. Maybe Rhode Island will move up first. It wouldn't surprise me at this point.
    Chin up, buddy.

Personally I'm okay with FCS until FBS makes sense. I know we wanted to go CUSA (and would have if Marshall hadn't blocked it - that's why our AD said what he did then it didn't pan out, he had just had CUSA officials on campus and they were high on us), but SunBelt doesn't make financial sense. We'd be fiscally irresponsible to ship all our teams to that many away games so far away.

Also, I enjoy having regional rivals. I work with a lot of Spatters/Nerds/Chickens and even a Villanofun grad. I enjoy being able to go to those away games. Do I want more for JMU? Sure, but I also know ODU admin are worried about the money side of things, especially now the CUSA TV money is gone.

I hope it's after we're long gone. With that being said, I fully anticipate Monmouth being the program that'll replace us.

JMU needs to be long gone.... please. The league has already been watered down enough by losing ODU and UMass and replacing them with Stony Brook, Albany and Elon.
    You also lost Northeastern and Hofstra, so....

I hope it's after we're long gone. With that being said, I fully anticipate Monmouth being the program that'll replace us.

JMU needs to be long gone.... please. The league has already been watered down enough by losing ODU and UMass and replacing them with Stony Brook, Albany and Elon.
    Really? You're counting ODU? Weren't they in the CAA all of maybe ten minutes? Realistically the CAA has lost one strong program in UMass and the "watering down" has been largely due to the rapid decline of UD.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    You also lost Northeastern and Hofstra, so....
    Right? I don't understand what his argument really is since Albany has been squirting themselves pretty well and so has Stony Brook. Both seem to be upgrades over Northeastern and Hofstra in level of play. Maybe I'm way off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    If you move up the league you'll be joining will likely be far more "watered down" relative to the rest of FBS than the CAA would be relative to the rest of FCS with Monmouth.
    Now you are coming around.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Strange the CAA has more associate football members than they do full member football schools.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtw View Post
    Strange the CAA has more associate football members than they do full member football schools.

a result of a
    60+ year history starting as the football-only Yankee Conference, expanding by adding Colonial schools (among others), control passing to the A-10 and then the CAA. Another factor is America East refusing to sponsor FB, the demise of MAAC FB, and the NEC and the Patriot until until recently being non- or limited-scholarship and not really in the same peer group as the Albany and Stony Brook.
    group
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

The Yankee Conference was an all-sports league in the first 30 years of it's existence. America East (back around the name change from the NAC) had seven football playing schools in 1997 when the Atlantic Ten took over the Yankee Conference. Even though Towson and Hofstra weren't in the YC/A10 yet, the missed opportunity to take over the league is a major blunder twenty years later. If that had happened, then the CAA/AE merger probably would've gone through around 2001.

First Class FCS Advocate JayMYou's Avatar

ODU was CAA for over 20 years, they started football and moved to FBS quicker than our admin takes to negotiate a home and home with Norfolk State. Point being that though the CAA is a great East Coast FCS conference, we outgrew FCS years ago. Not many 20k public schools in our area still in FCS. Just about all of our "peers" have moved on, and one that has straggled just cleaned house and hired a coach that will probably take them there.

I grew up in NJ and for me to see (what was/is) a tiny school like Monmouth College now be even contemplated for the CAA shows the direction our president prefers... small northeast private schools. But I guess we shouldn't expect anything less for a guy who went to Swarthmore and Harvard.