Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 LastLast

Thread: Win at all costs: Recruiting Rapists

Re: Win at all costs: Recruiting Rapists

I agree. The current worthless AD has repeatedly lied and screwed up ( as the community knows). Even though this incident was a false alarm, because YSU has been so dishonest, the public thinks the worst. Firing the AD and some selected athletic dept. staff would go a long ways to getting people back to games and having better community relations. But, that cesspool continues unabated...............
    Four time I-AA National Champions

First Class FCS Ruler Penguin Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Youngstown State

IMO, the summation of the past year or so is that YSU doesn't care about public perception or concerns. Recruiting a rapist, doubling down on the rapist despite a huge public outcry against it and international media shame, Ticketgate, the Ticketgate cover-up, and even the terrible OOC FB schedule. YSU is so far from the NCAA mainstream in terms of recruiting ethics and even seems proud of it. Schools like Indiana expressly forbid convicted sexual predators in their athletic programs. If I were Tressel, I personally would've investigated it and someone (possibly multiple ppl) would've been fired, and then I would've released a statement about the ethical standards YSU embraces and the zero tolerance of allowing current registered sex offenders on any athletic program. Every female student on campus now has to deal with the fact that a gang rapist was lured to campus by the FB program and its HC. Absolutely unreal....and the University says F you to all of them.

My Team
    Youngstown State

Recent article about sexual assault policies and student-athletes, of course cites rapist-recruiter YSU. The rapist's attorney is quoted with hyperbolic associations and questions why someone should be ostracized over a gang rape.

http://www.theeagle.com/sports/why-n...dc3828f6e.html

"What is that a life sentence?" said Cleveland-based attorney Susan Stone, who represented Ma'Lik Richmond, the Youngstown State football player convicted of rape in juvenile court when he was in high school.
    Campus backlash prompted Youngstown State to ban Richmond from playing last season. He sued the school, which had no policy like Indiana's. The school settled and lifted the ban.
    "There needs to be some thought before you ostracize students," Stone said.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Nation View Post
    IMO, the summation of the past year or so is that YSU doesn't care about public perception or concerns. Recruiting a rapist, doubling down on the rapist despite a huge public outcry against it and international media shame, Ticketgate, the Ticketgate cover-up, and even the terrible OOC FB schedule. YSU is so far from the NCAA mainstream in terms of recruiting ethics and even seems proud of it. Schools like Indiana expressly forbid convicted sexual predators in their athletic programs. If I were Tressel, I personally would've investigated it and someone (possibly multiple ppl) would've been fired, and then I would've released a statement about the ethical standards YSU embraces and the zero tolerance of allowing current registered sex offenders on any athletic program. Every female student on campus now has to deal with the fact that a gang rapist was lured to campus by the FB program and its HC. Absolutely unreal....and the University says F you to all of them.
    Maybe the NCAA should nail the program with a multiple year death penalty similar to what was rumored to be planned against Penn St and what should have happened against not only Penn St. but Baylor as well.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther88 View Post
    Personally, I don't see a problem, penguin nation. Seems to be norm and on par for the american football life:

Again, what's the problem? I see nothing but american normalcy w/ respect to illegal malfeasance about a football program. americans love their beloved [football] and the "win @ all cost" attitude that seemingly goes w/ it. Even the farce that the ncaa is proudly displaying w/ the precious apr dealio was 40+ years long overdue. The ONLY thing most americans care about w/ regards to an athletic "student" is "can he block, run, catch, or pass?" baylor, smu, youngstown st, florida, florida st, tennessee, uofh, et al.
    Don't forget Iowa University...
    "We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom." -- Stephen Vincent Benét

My Team
    Youngstown State

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Don't forget Iowa University...
    Is this what you're referring to? http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=6012358

I'd make the distinction between recruiting someone with a clean record and then is involved in a sexual assault...versus knowing there's a history of sexual assault and recruiting them anyway (YSU's situation).

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    Maybe the NCAA should nail the program with a multiple year death penalty similar to what was rumored to be planned against Penn St and what should have happened against not only Penn St. but Baylor as well.
    .......PENN STATE WAS PUNISHED......FINED MILLIONS......LOSS UH SKOLLIES......BANNED FROM BOWL PARTICIPATION.......VACATED YEARS O' WINS........ALBEIT......MANY UH PUNISHMENTS....WERE LATER RESCINDED AFTER UH FEW YEARS........AWK!

The "fix" may be in. A hearing will be held on Thursday in Steubenville on a motion to have the YSU rapist removed from the sexual predator reporting list. After being convicted in 2013 in the gang rape and sentenced to some jail time, he was ordered to report his residence every 6 months for 20 years. However in 2014, that was reduced to reporting once a year for 10 years. The hearing Thursday will be to hear arguments to have him dropped from this requirement . Prosecutors are opposed to this. The judge involved is the one who dropped it the first time from twice a year for 20 years to once a year for 10 years. The Judge in Steubenville , home town of the rapist and site of coverup attempts to avoid the original prosecution, may drop this under Ohio law. But the question is -- should he ?

My Team
    Youngstown State

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    The "fix" may be in. A hearing will be held on Thursday in Steubenville on a motion to have the YSU rapist removed from the sexual predator reporting list. After being convicted in 2013 in the gang rape and sentenced to some jail time, he was ordered to report his residence every 6 months for 20 years. However in 2014, that was reduced to reporting once a year for 10 years. The hearing Thursday will be to hear arguments to have him dropped from this requirement . Prosecutors are opposed to this. The judge involved is the one who dropped it the first time from twice a year for 20 years to once a year for 10 years. The Judge in Steubenville , home town of the rapist and site of coverup attempts to avoid the original prosecution, may drop this under Ohio law. But the question is -- should he ?
    No.

YSU's gross advocacy for this gang rapist normalizes gang rape. All the reporting list does is give the community a heads up that a known and convicted sexual predator is in their midst, and act accordingly. That's it. Why would you deny the community the opportunity to at least be aware that a rapist lurks about?

The case of this gang rapist is notable for 3 things:

1) It's savage nature
    2) The extraordinary amount of irrefutable evidence
    3) The extremely light punishment the rapists received

Once again the words "YSU" and "rapist" appear together in the news. Scumbag U is either too stupid or too arrogant to realize how to mange public relations.

Cleveland.com offers a nice perspective:

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ender-registry

Youngstown State University football player and convicted Steubenville rapist, Ma'Lik Richmond has a hearing Thursday where Judge Thomas Lipps will decide whether or not Richmond should be removed from Ohio's sex offender registry. Convicted as a juvenile, Richmond is within his rights now that he's 21 to challenge his sex offender status.

Richmond, then 16, was convicted of publicly raping an intoxicated 16-year-old girl in 2012. Despite video evidence of the assault perpetrated by multiple participants circulating social media, Richmond was only given a one-year minimum sentence for his participation in the assault, serving only about 10 months, and was granted permission to represent Youngstown State University as a football player in 2017.

The highly publicized case was particularly heinous, with former Steubenville baseball player Michael Nodianos joking about the incident in a video posted on YouTube stating "they raped her quicker than Mike Tyson raped that one girl" and "They peed on her. That's how you know she's dead, because someone pissed on her."

While restorative justice is an extremely important part in the healing process for both victims and perpetrators, allowing Richmond to remove his name from the sex offender registry feels like an attempt to wash away any accountability or guilty verdict that he so rightfully deserved. His conviction as a juvenile offered him a stunningly tame sentence, and removing his name from the registry continues to perpetuate a "boys will be boys" mentality that apologizes for rapists while victims spend the rest of their lives recovering from the trauma.

Thanks to the #MeToo movement, we are no longer living in the same world as Steubenville 2012. If the judge declines Richmond's request, perhaps the victim will finally see some form of justice.

Arguments were made in court today but the judges decision is not expected for several weeks yet. As expected, when news broke on this it was heavily covered by the media. Opposition is heavy.