Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Top FCS Advocate Penguin Nation's Avatar

Re: Win at all costs: Recruiting Rapists

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    I don't live in Ytown ( thank god), but do live in the Warren - Youngstown metro area. I can assure the local media (Vindy and Tribune) have covered the story and put out the story which has caused many of the "fans" to berate the papers. Much of the area is MAJOR upset. Why do you think Tressel forced Bo to back off and not play him after recruiting him to play for YSU so quickly ? As I said, the villain in this is Bo. Tressel did a major turn around because of the damage that could be done to YSUs finances AND to the business supporters of YSU football. The die hards are clueless. The attempts at rationalizing this away are juvenile. Some of the "supporters" are nothing more than scum. They exposed themselves and are in a small minority , even in this area, let alone nationally. YSU will have trouble living this down because of the idiot coach, administration and "fans".
    That's really the silver lining here IMO...that after something so egregious happened, so many good ppl stepped forward in a big way and expressed their outrage. That does speak well of the community on the whole. I think the only way to have fixed this was to fire Bo immediately (and maybe others), cut the rapist from the team, issue a groveling public apology, and subject the athletic department to a rape education/awareness course. But instead they doubled down....idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    "At sixteen years old, Ma'Lik and his family endured hardness beyond imagination for any adult yet alone child. He has persevered the hardness and made the most of yet another unfortunate set of circumstances in his life. As with each other obstacle, Ma'Lik has met it squarely, lifted his chin, and set his shoulders; he is braced for the balance of his life."

Sound like he is looking for a medal- or a chest to pin it on. A heroic rapist- just what every team needs. What a load of crap.
    My God that quote is sickening. Sheesh.

"Do the things, win the points"
    Duke Colonel Angus

Bertram de Souza responds to the blistering NY Daily News piece:

"The details of Richmond’s criminal behavior are now memorialized in newspaper and television stories across America and around the world. The fact that Richmond and a high school football teammate at Steubenville High School preyed on a defenseless girl and took pictures that they shared with friends shocked the senses of all decent human beings."

"While Tressel, Pelini, and Athletic Director Ron Strollo deserve some praise for recognizing that the Richmond situation had become untenable, Youngstown State University’s reputation has taken a national hit.
    It should come as no surprise that the Daily News’ Grossman referred to Tressel’s and Pelini’s own travails in explaining why there was such a myopic view when it came to convicted rapist Richmond."

"By now, some crusty old sports writer has undoubtedly chosen this moniker for Youngstown State University: “School for Scoundrels”."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/1...valley/?mobile

YSU has an Athletic Department budget of ~$15M. To spend any of that to internationally shame the University is madness. In an organization with accountability, there would be a swift response and heads would roll...but this is the University that keeps an inept and scandal-ridden AD around for 16 years and counting.

First Class FCS Ruler Paladin1aa's Avatar

Richmond missed practice last Thursday , but remains on the team. He got an upgrade on his number , moving from assigned #96 to his preferred #12. Listed as a 6'4, 250 DE.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

AGS Circle of Influence Member

So he's even getting to determine what number he gets rather than being told "be glad you're on the ****ing team, you can deal with whatever the **** we give you"

Or the fact he even gets a ****ing number this year...wow.

Good to see who is running that program.
    Last edited by clenz; August 16th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

I used to care about UNI football. May well again some day....

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Nation View Post

"By now, some crusty old sports writer has undoubtedly chosen this moniker for Youngstown State University: “School for Scoundrels”."
    or "Gang Rapist Sanctuary"?

I guess gang rapists are now a part of the "State of Youngstown" recruiting zone.

While YSU adds sexual predators/gang rapists to its recruiting goals, the rest of the CFB world is moving in a different direction.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...us-misconduct/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...81ea4eh8q1vxdc

For Bo to be such a staunch advocate for a gang-rapist, as well as his anger issues, really makes me think there's something seriously wrong with that guy.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

For Bo to be such a staunch advocate for a gang-rapist, as well as his anger issues, really makes me think there's something seriously wrong with that guy.
    You're shocked this guy has some priority issues?

I'd love to know what guys at Nebraska did that didn't get them a second chance. If spending time in prison for rape isn't enough to keep you off the team, I can't imagine anything short of murder would.

I used to care about UNI football. May well again some day....

From the Oregonian:

"The two United States Senators from Oregon and six colleagues on Tuesday sent a letter to an NCAA commission that recommended "a strong, uniform policy" for prospective student-athletes who have "serious misconduct violations" in their past."

"While Indiana University adopted a policy in April banning student-athletes convicted of a felony involving "sexual violence" and requiring mandatory criminal background reviews for every prospective student-athlete, the NCAA does not have a uniform policy on the issue.
    The letter specifically cited the Indiana policy as an example for the NCAA."

"Last week, Youngstown State bowed to public pressure and said Ma'lik Richmond would not play with the team in 2017. As a high school student in Ohio, Richmond was one of two teens convicted of sexually assaulting a minor in the Steubenville High School rape case. He transferred to the university last year and walked onto the football team with the blessing of coach Bo Pelini."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ind...y_co-sign.html

Bo and YSU continue to be an embarrassing example in the national media of what is wrong with having a policy of recruiting rapists.

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    You're shocked this guy has some priority issues?

I'd love to know what guys at Nebraska did that didn't get them a second chance. If spending time in prison for rape isn't enough to keep you off the team, I can't imagine anything short of murder would.
    I haven't seen a single example of Bo passing over someone because of past conduct as a recruit. He had to deal with issues when a player assaulted another player at NE, but there he had no choice, and that's really not even related to this. BTW, I get the feeling that girl in the pic never heard some of those words used that way before.

I haven't seen a single example of Bo passing over someone because of past conduct as a recruit. He had to deal with issues when a player assaulted another player at NE, but there he had no choice, and that's really not even related to this. BTW, I get the feeling that girl in the pic never heard some of those words used that way before.
    Also notice that she has moved her right hand down to protect her lady parts.