Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
ASU33 thats impressive starting as a true freshman. Div 1 football is no joke and no matter how great a HS player is thats a huge jump. Well done!
Believe it or not I told myself that was done with football after high school and my goal was to play basketball in college. I came out of college at 6'3 190 pounds and played corner, receiver, and quarterback in high school. In high school I was all-state in both basketball and football but I noticed that by my junior year that my basketball offers came in a lot slower than my football offers. During my sophomore year I turn down quite a few football camps during the summer to play AAU basketball and to go to basketball camps. The problem in basketball was that I was a 6'3 guard/forward so no real big time schools offered me despite me being a 3 year starter on the varsity basketball team. I was actually considering walking-on to the basketball team at LSU instead of playing football. Most of the FBS offers that I got were from schools far away like Tulsa, Marshall, Fresno State and ect. and I didn't want to go play so far away that my parents couldn't see me play on a regular basis. I was about to sign with Tulane but I wanted to get away from home, plus both of my parents were professors there so that was a no. Alabama State came with not only a scholarship but Coach Spivery offered me a walk-on spot with the basketball team. So I actually played on the basketball team during the 2003-04 and 2004-2005 seasons. I guess football worked out best because I was a 1st team All-Conference guy three years at ASU and basketball wise I only played maybe 5-6 minutes per game.