Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Camp stories- lets hear em!!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Re: Football Camp stories- lets hear em!!

HS story- as a sophomore, we had a team that was picked to win the title and the new coach managed to screw things up to go 4-5. Just an idiot. I was an end- pass patterns were like the deep flag- 17-19 yards. Well, you simply don't have the protection time for that route. Anyway- the next year we might have been the worst team in the state. 0-9, only scored 4 TDs all season. One summer practice during the county fair he moved it to 3 PM so he could go to the Big Kitty Wells Show that night. SIX people showed up. Now, you think that he would have done something fun, or given more water breaks. Nope, we got one an hour into practice and that was it. He took it out on us. When it was over, he said, "Now we know who wants to play football!" Well, he didn't do any punishment to those who skipped practice. Oddly, he wasn't even the worst coach that I ever had- that goes to my basketball coach my senior year. But that is another story.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    GO BUCS

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    HS story- as a sophomore, we had a team that was picked to win the title and the new coach managed to screw things up to go 4-5. Just an idiot. I was an end- pass patterns were like the deep flag- 17-19 yards. Well, you simply don't have the protection time for that route. Anyway- the next year we might have been the worst team in the state. 0-9, only scored 4 TDs all season. One summer practice during the county fair he moved it to 3 PM so he could go to the Big Kitty Wells Show that night. SIX people showed up. Now, you think that he would have done something fun, or given more water breaks. Nope, we got one an hour into practice and that was it. He took it out on us. When it was over, he said, "Now we know who wants to play football!" Well, he didn't do any punishment to those who skipped practice. Oddly, he wasn't even the worst coach that I ever had- that goes to my basketball coach my senior year. But that is another story.
    Haha thats a good one
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

My Team
    GO BUCS

Man Im loving these stories.

Ok so how about this one. Yall all know what I'm talking about......when you're mid football camp and you see the girls on the medical staff or the w-soccer/volleyball team shows up for camp and you see a girl and shes normally like a 5...but you're thinking shes an 8 or 9 at the moment! A "camp 8"!

We were on lockdown in the dorms in camp. Almost no time or energy at all to do anything. But on Sundays we had 5 or 6 hours free and we'd go to the mall or WalMart. You'd see chicks who were average at best but camp I be like DAAAANG girl!!!
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post

Ok so how about this one. Yall all know what I'm talking about......when you're mid football camp and you see the girls on the medical staff or the w-soccer/volleyball team shows up for camp and you see a girl and shes normally like a 5...but you're thinking shes an 8 or 9 at the moment! A "camp 8"!

We were on lockdown in the dorms in camp. Almost no time or energy at all to do anything. But on Sundays we had 5 or 6 hours free and we'd go to the mall or WalMart. You'd see chicks who were average at best but camp I be like DAAAANG girl!!!
    That would be the Renville County Fair. Our 212 Conference had 8 teams, all along Highway 212. 6 of them were in the county, another bordered it. So after two a days we would head for the fair & compare camp stories and how sore we were with the other players. As you said, the girls looked so much better for some reason. So you stayed until midnight and had a heck of a time making it to practice at 6 AM the next morning.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    Alabama State

Funniest: Had to be at Mississippi State our coaches called anything bad 3-9. So if you did something with no effort or badly they'd say "that's real 3 and 9-ish". During one of our DB drills one of the freshmen DBs hit 3 cones while completing the W-drill. Coach Harbison shouted "son that's 3 and 9 bulls##t" and the freshman responded with "what does that mean coach?" Coach stated that 3 and 9 was our record last year and that it meant poor effort. The freshman responded to Coach Harb, "coach I know you don't care about poor effort or being mediocre because I've seen your spouse." All of us died laughing and Coach Harb ran the safeties to death during the entire individual period. I swear I almost died from laughing.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

My Team
    Chattanooga

Worst/Best- Worst then, now it is best....I graduated HS at 17 and a knee surgery my senior year so I opted to go to Fork Union for a PG year. John Shuman was (and still is) the Head coach. HE was an old school Jersey Guy that went to VMI. Tough as nails. We kindly referred to him as In-human Shuman. It was drop off day, I said bye to my parents at 1pm and was on the field in full pads at 1:45pm....We had 3 a days, and the field was mostly gravel and dust (drought year in VA). So on the 4th day, we goon a bus and went to scrimmage the Newport News Shipbuilding Academy. We knew 3 plays. Remember I was still 17 and the youngest guy on their team was about 24. We scored on about every other play (we had 28 D1 schollys on that team) because we had a ton of talent, but those MEN whooped that crap out of us BOYS everywhere but the scoreboard. After the game, we went into their gym and had BBQ with them (and their wives and kids). They floated about 4 kegs that day and our coaches were watching us like hawks...

Two other incidents that speak to Shuman's sadistic ways... We were playing the JVs at Navy and the halftime horn blows, we turn to run towards the field house....Shuman blows his whistle...and says, "I'm not getting enough effort out of you guys, so like up." And we ran 15 minutes of gassers at half time. The second time was at Georgia Southern when we went 11 on 11 100% full go at halftime and for about an hour after the game.

If nothing else, we were tough when we left there, two a days the next year were a breeze.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

My Team
    Western Illinois

I never did football, but have had a similar experience. I marched with a Drum and Bugle Corps for 7 years during summers (think professional-level marching band), so for 3 months you tour around the country, living on buses and sleeping on gym floors, doing everything with the same group of people and getting to see very little of the outside world. Like you said, you start getting a month or so into the summer, and that mellophone-playing girl who was a 5 at the start of the season...like you said...she's pushin' 8-9. Our term for it..."tour goggles".
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

My Team
    Chattanooga

Nothing like cruising the Mall with a camp tan...4" above the ankle up to the knee. I'm not a particularly hairy man, but my buds were....how about the guys with the serious bear suit, and the shaved ankles and wrist for tape. Nothing says, "Hey Ladies!!!" like a partially shaved leg in flip flops.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    Nothing like cruising the Mall with a camp tan...4" above the ankle up to the knee. I'm not a particularly hairy man, but my buds were....how about the guys with the serious bear suit, and the shaved ankles and wrist for tape. Nothing says, "Hey Ladies!!!" like a partially shaved leg in flip flops.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

To this day I have very little hair there now.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

My Team
    Chattanooga

Not a camp story, but one of my favorites....Going into my last year, we had Pro-day. Back then about 6-8 scouts would show up and Everybody lined up to go through drills, lift and run. I was pretty strong and had a great first session in the weight room, then we went out to the field to run drills. My feet arent bad, but on the second step, I'm as fast as I'm going to be. A guy from the Chiefs was timing andI step up to run the 40. As I cross, he yells my name (taped on my helmet), and I excitedly jog up and say, "Yes Sir?" HE says, "You have deceptive speed." I start to beam....and he follows up with, "you look slow, but the watch says you are slower than you look." I HATE THE CHIEFS!!!!! HAha. Come to find out he was a friend of my dads and they had planned it....I'm not saying his statement wasn't correct, but it was planned!!!!