Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Toughest place to play in your conference?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    The UNI-Dome can get pretty loud especially now that the last few matchups against NDSU have been well attended. The Fargodome is the loudest place in the conference, but Montana is the loudest FCS stadium I've seen.

On the flip side, I think our guys kind of seam a little out of their element when we play say Indiana State or WIU and there's very few people there and generally it's about as loud as a golf course.
    Yea man...it's the 2 hour long drive from the airport and the eerie silence that really gets to you.

As for our conference...I mean...I think there's no question that the F-dome is one of the toughest places to play, although we've actually done fairly well there outside of maybe one big blowout.

Outside of that, if they could ever fill the place, I could see MSU's Plaster Stadium being pretty tough, mostly from a crowd-noise angle. Good sized stadium, pretty close to the field (no track). It's no Fargodome or Grizzly Stadium, but they could probably bring some serious noise if they had a packed house.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    The UNI-Dome can get pretty loud especially now that the last few matchups against NDSU have been well attended. The Fargodome is the loudest place in the conference, but Montana is the loudest FCS stadium I've seen.

On the flip side, I think our guys kind of seam a little out of their element when we play say Indiana State or WIU and there's very few people there and generally it's about as loud as a golf course.
    This here.

UNI and NDSU are both over .800 at home. However, it just seems trams struggle (even if they win) at places like WIU, ISUb and MSU.

There's something about stadiums that can hold 15-18k people having like 1,700 there, less atmosphere than a normal practice, etc. that make those places tricky.

I used to care about UNI football. May well again some day....

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Alcorn is always tough for us particularly early in the season when its still hot they like to play during the day, everyone else will play in the evening
    You guys have had a rough time with the Braves over the past few years.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Alcorn is always tough for us particularly early in the season when its still hot they like to play during the day, everyone else will play in the evening
    We play them there this season on Sept 16 and it is a 6PM game. We played them there once before in 2000.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Grizalltheway View Post
    Portland State.
    Do they still play in that old baseball stadium? We played them there in 2004 and the atmosphere there sucked!! Didn't like that place one bit, plus the Cowboys sucked that year.

Doc

Coming from a McNeese fan, I say both Huntsville and Conway are equally tough.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    Coming from a McNeese fan, I say both Huntsville and Conway are equally tough.

Doc

Yeah, its tough on me to go through Huntsville when I drive to Houston also.

No PL team fills their place or goes crazy enough for it to be intimidating imo. Lehigh and Lafayette hands down the nicest places to play or watch imo.
    Upon the fields of friendly strife ...

Tough call in PL. Mostly pretty even. Lehigh likely the toughest crowd .
    One caveat is Colgate in November. Damn they take winter way too seriously up there. Brutal more often than not late season.

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    This here.

UNI and NDSU are both over .800 at home. However, it just seems trams struggle (even if they win) at places like WIU, ISUb and MSU.

There's something about stadiums that can hold 15-18k people having like 1,700 there, less atmosphere than a normal practice, etc. that make those places tricky.
    Yep, it's that lack of energy. It just seems like teams can come out flat and it takes them a quarter to really get going. Loud noise stadiums can be difficult especially if you aren't prepared for it. Teams generally do much better in the Fargodome the second time threw.

The coolest thing I've seen an opposing team do was Georgia Southern the second trip up here. As you are aware we do our thunderstruck song with the lights off and then the team runs out usually right before the anthem. Usually opposing teams just stay in their locker room or wait to run out shortly after we run out. GS ran out right in the middle of thunderstruck (everyone of course than booed) than they walked half way onto the field and stood their with their arms crossed so when we ran out the first thing they saw was their team standing their waiting.