Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    AGS FCS Master JALMOND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    suburbia Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,140

    An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    From Jim Allen at the Spokane Spokesman-Review (a "realist")

    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-conference-f/

    Just out of spring practices.

  2. #2
    FCS Champion mvemjsunpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by JALMOND View Post
    (a "realist")

  3. #3
    AGS FCS Expert
    Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    5,013

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Cal Poly will be higher than #6. They hit the lottery in terms of favorable conference schedules. They should go 6-2 at worst with their Big Sky schedule.

    vs Northern Arizona
    at Idaho St
    at Southern Utah
    vs Weber St
    at UC Davis
    vs Portland St
    vs Sacramento St
    at Northern Colorado
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 5-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

  4. #4
    Frequent FCS Advocate Iridebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Cheney, WA
    Posts
    39

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Cal Poly will be higher than #6. They hit the lottery in terms of favorable conference schedules. They should go 6-2 at worst with their Big Sky schedule.

    vs Northern Arizona
    at Idaho St
    at Southern Utah
    vs Weber St
    at UC Davis
    vs Portland St
    vs Sacramento St
    at Northern Colorado
    As the article stated, NAU hit the jackpot as well, not having to face the top three pre-season ranked teams. This unbalanced schedule is, in my opinion, having a detrimental effect. I don't like the thought that teams that have not played the top teams of the conference can snag a play-off spot, especially if its the guaranteed spot via the conference championship.

  5. #5
    FCS Champion mvemjsunpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by Iridebikes View Post
    As the article stated, NAU hit the jackpot as well, not having to face the top three pre-season ranked teams. This unbalanced schedule is, in my opinion, having a detrimental effect. I don't like the thought that teams that have not played the top teams of the conference can snag a play-off spot, especially if its the guaranteed spot via the conference championship.
    This kind of thing is good for the conference nationally, though. It prevents over-cannibalization.

  6. #6
    AGS FCS Champion

    POD Knows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    In the dark recesses of your mind
    Posts
    8,076

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Cal Poly will be higher than #6. They hit the lottery in terms of favorable conference schedules. They should go 6-2 at worst with their Big Sky schedule.

    vs Northern Arizona
    at Idaho St
    at Southern Utah
    vs Weber St
    at UC Davis
    vs Portland St
    vs Sacramento St
    at Northern Colorado
    It is a little hard to tell this early how crappy some of these teams might be but this makes the UND schedule last year look positively brutal.

  7. #7
    First Class FCS Ruler Schism55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ft Collins CO
    Posts
    749

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by mvemjsunpx View Post
    This kind of thing is good for the conference nationally, though. It prevents over-cannibalization.
    I couldn't disagree more. It leaves the teams woefully unprepared for the post season. Iron sharpens iron. Tissue paper sharpens???
    Sundown in the Paris of the prairie
    Wheat Kings have all their treasures buried

  8. #8
    FCS Champion mvemjsunpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by Schism55 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. It leaves the teams woefully unprepared for the post season. Iron sharpens iron. Tissue paper sharpens???
    I think it's much more likely cannibalization kills a playoff-caliber team's chances of getting in (e.g., Northern Iowa every other year) than lack of cannibalization leaves a team unprepared. Sam Houston goes deep in the postseason most every year now even though the Southland has no depth at all.

    Besides, we're talking about a power conference here. Even a relatively weak Big Sky schedule is gonna be stronger than most any schedule from a non-power league. The Big Sky isn't exactly the NEC or MEAC.

  9. #9
    First Class FCS Advocate bri-dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    75

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    I learned some new things from this article. Like, I was totally unaware that UNC has changed their nickname to the Rams...

  10. #10
    FCS Expert wapiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    2,763

    Re: An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

    Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I learned some new things from this article. Like, I was totally unaware that UNC has changed their nickname to the Rams...
    and that Montana State is now the Wildcats.

Similar Threads

  1. A "way too early" look at the five best FCS recruiting class for 2017
    By BrianMac_HERO-SPORTS in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 10th, 2016, 10:46 AM
  2. "very early" Western Carolina 2010 schedule
    By catamount man in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
  3. Jackson State QB race start's with "Man Step"
    By jstate83 in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
  4. Camps areopen- "Early Season Game of the Year".
    By GrizRchattybound in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 14th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •