Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Fox Sports ranks the FCS Football Conferences

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    There is no doubt about that. The SoCon should be the #2 league. All others say so. The patsy should be like 12th. JUST a smidge above the Pioneer.
    Massey composite from last season ranks in this order: MVFC, Southern, CAA, Big South, Big Sky .. other than putting Big Sky slightly ahead of Big South, I have to agree with the average of 40 polls.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; June 19th, 2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Massey composite from last season ranks in this order: MVFC, Southern, CAA, Big South, Big Sky .. other than putting Big Sky slightly ahead of Big South, I have to agree with the average of 40 polls.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
    Interestingly, MVFC is the prohibitive #1 conference by far, ranking 1st in 37 of 40 polls on this composite .. MVFC composite rating was 26, which was 15 points of SoCon at 41, with next 3 all in the 43-49 range. The 3 polls who voted MVFC lower than #1 are: AGS at #2, Stats/SNW had us #3, and FCP had us #4. This despite having 4 playoff teams, with 3 in top 16, and 2 in top 4, and 1 in finals.

I get the regional bias that comes with an FCP like polling, but why is this poll even published anymore .. talk about blatant regional bias and homerism. It is utterly useless as polls go.

It's pretty easy to do when you get to play who they have played (sans JMU winning in Fargo). The South Carolina version of the bracket must not be allowed to happen again. If it is a national playoff system why must one have to navigate teams from your own State who you played in the regular year?
    Oh Jesus it happened once. Get back to me when it happens 4 out of 5 years.

First Class FCS Ruler Sir William's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Shouldn't have happened once. Regionalization on steroids.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    The Citadel has been a playoff team the last two years and hasn't played anyone outside of The Palmetto State.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Major FCS Advocate BadlandsGrizFan's Avatar

I think it would be interesting to compare out of every year the last 10 years how many times the Big Sky cannibalized itself in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs tho with regionalization, and basically being the only conference in the expansive western united states.

Basically is it fair to rank the conferences by saying theyve had this many in the quarterfinals or this many in the semis? Because it seems that the first two rounds are much harder for the Big Sky and to a degree the MVFC to get out of.

Ask South Dakota State how many times they've been sent to Missoula or Fargo in the first two rounds over the last decade.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsGrizFan View Post
    I think it would be interesting to compare out of every year the last 10 years how many times the Big Sky cannibalized itself in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs tho with regionalization, and basically being the only conference in the expansive western united states.

Basically is it fair to rank the conferences by saying theyve had this many in the quarterfinals or this many in the semis? Because it seems that the first two rounds are much harder for the Big Sky and to a degree the MVFC to get out of.

Ask South Dakota State how many times they've been sent to Missoula or Fargo in the first two rounds over the last decade.
    How many South Carolina's would fit in SD, ND, and MT? We are a small State and get screwed in the playoffs.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

It's pretty easy to do when you get to play who they have played (sans JMU winning in Fargo). The South Carolina version of the bracket must not be allowed to happen again. If it is a national playoff system why must one have to navigate teams from your own State who you played in the regular year?
    You are 100% correct on that. Clustering Coastal, Citadel, CSU, Wofford against each other in 2015/2016 was just wrong. All 4 of those had an argument to be a top 10 team those years and to group them all together wasnt right.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    You are 100% correct on that. Clustering Coastal, Citadel, CSU, Wofford against each other in 2015/2016 was just wrong. All 4 of those had an argument to be a top 10 team those years and to group them all together wasnt right.
    Although sad, it no doubt was the least costly approach, and the lca matters.

The Citadel has been a playoff team the last two years and hasn't played anyone outside of The Palmetto State.
    If you won more playoff games, that wouldn't be a problem.