Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Re: Street and Smith's 2017 Patriot League Preseason Predictions

TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!
    Dry well today citdog? C'mon you can do better

First Class FCS Advocate centraljerseycat's Avatar

I'm looking forward to a great game at Goodman on Sept 2nd. This will certainly be one of Coen's better teams and I don't know what to expect from the Nova offense that couldn't get out of it's own way in the 4 losses last year. I hoping the new HC Mark Ferrante won't hesitate to change QB's if necessary. Not sold on the incumbent. But there seems to be more weapons than the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by centraljerseycat View Post
    I'm looking forward to a great game at Goodman on Sept 2nd. This will certainly be one of Coen's better teams and I don't know what to expect from the Nova offense that couldn't get out of it's own way in the 4 losses last year. I hoping the new HC Mark Ferrante won't hesitate to change QB's if necessary. Not sold on the incumbent. But there seems to be more weapons than the past few seasons.
    Nova should be about 4 point favorites. While LU's QB, Mayes, has had good PT as a freshman and sophomore, this will be his first game as the installed starter. If this was being played as game #3, I'd call it a push, but game 1 uncertainties abound.

Quote Originally Posted by centraljerseycat View Post
    Nova's offense was impotent against quality FCS & Pitt defenses, but mostly performed well in those that weren't except the 2 PL teams last season interestingly enough. Lehigh's defense did a decent job keeping Nova off the board, but got shredded for 396 yards on the ground last season that allowed the Cats to escape with a 26-21 win.

I like the fact we are getting Lehigh before our FBS game. Playing in front of 51k at Pitt then coming home to 7k at Nova contributed to their listless 1st half play. It was 14-6 Lehigh at half. Nova pounded them into submission and outscored the Mt. Hawks 20-7 in the second half.

I think unless Lehigh has some unknown tackling machines they will have to overcome a run downhill Nova offense that has a lot of talent in the backfield that Lehigh didn't see last season.

I just don't see how Lehigh doesn't wear down in this game unless Nova loses the turnover margin significantly. Mayes isn't mobile like Nick and I think Nova will contain Lehigh's offense enough to get a low double digit win.

Quote Originally Posted by LUHawker View Post
    Nova should be about 4 point favorites. While LU's QB, Mayes, has had good PT as a freshman and sophomore, this will be his first game as the installed starter. If this was being played as game #3, I'd call it a push, but game 1 uncertainties abound.
    I'll give Lehigh fans 4 points all day. Line will be 6-8 points in Nova's favor.

Another factor will be coaching in this game. Coen, since he lost some key coaches after 2012/13, hasn't done well outside the PL/Ivy in getting big wins. Ferrante is a bit of an unknown at Nova. Lehigh absolutely has to come up with some adjustments to stop the run and this is mainly on the coaches. I'd be doing anything I could to force them to beat me through the air. Nova lost some pretty good DL to graduation as well, we will see if they decide to blitz more or sit back against Mayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh'98 View Post
    Another factor will be coaching in this game. Coen, since he lost some key coaches after 2012/13, hasn't done well outside the PL/Ivy in getting big wins. Ferrante is a bit of an unknown at Nova. Lehigh absolutely has to come up with some adjustments to stop the run and this is mainly on the coaches. I'd be doing anything I could to force them to beat me through the air. Nova lost some pretty good DL to graduation as well, we will see if they decide to blitz more or sit back against Mayes.
    Biggest question mark on Nova is DL. Also DC Of FCS #1 defense left for UConn. Lost another defensive assistant to Elon as DC. Defensive back 8 are solid. Only new player is sophomore LB who had big game at Pitt & fell back to Special teams when injured senior returned. They have as good of back 8 as anyone. DL will be interesting.

I think they will come after Mayes until he proves he can beat them with his feet or quick slants.

Ferrante is a continuation of Talley more than likely in style of Nova play at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 View Post
    Biggest question mark on Nova is DL. Also DC Of FCS #1 defense left for UConn. Lost another defensive assistant to Elon as DC. Defensive back 8 are solid. Only new player is sophomore LB who had big game at Pitt & fell back to Special teams when injured senior returned. They have as good of back 8 as anyone. DL will be interesting.

I think they will come after Mayes until he proves he can beat them with his feet or quick slants.

Ferrante is a continuation of Talley more than likely in style of Nova play at a minimum.
    Likely IMO that Nova will try to blitz. LU 's OL should hold up. Interesting to see how Nova 2ndary will fare with single coverage.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Lehigh will have a seasoned secondary, so I suspect the DC to focus on stopping the running game first. Some good athletes in the secondary that should allow more man defense and free up some controlled blitzes and stunts to shut down the run and pressure the qb. I'd give 'nova a 3-4 point edge at this point. Much to be learned in August.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!
    Typically living in the past, Citty. (;-)
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016