Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Street and Smith's 2017 Patriot League Preseason Predictions

[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2488896]
    Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    There won't be ONE patsy league team in the Top 15 but you think TWO will be in the Top 10!

Any Top 10 consideration for Lehigh will be answered against Villanova on 9/2. A loss there & a run of the table won't get them a sniff.
    Agree if LU suffers a bad L. Any L and LU may depend a lot on Nova success or failure. Realistically #12 is way too high for a preseason ranking. Top 20 at best right now.LU does return most of their starters but losing Shafniskey will limit their O early on. New OC and DC is another factor to be weighed.

[QUOTE=RichH2;2488918]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 View Post
    Agree if LU suffers a bad L. Any L and LU may depend a lot on Nova success or failure. Realistically #12 is way too high for a preseason ranking. Top 20 at best right now.LU does return most of their starters but losing Shafniskey will limit their O early on. New OC and DC is another factor to be weighed.
    I think Nova at #8 is also a bit too high. 9-4 last season, but no signature wins. Beat teams with winning records in Albany, Maine, Lehigh, StFU. Not the most fearsome four. Beat up Lafayette, Towson, Elon, Rhody, Delaware along the way. All poor football teams in '16.

Lost to Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU scoring a total of 21 points (14 from offense). Nova was a product of its schedule. They did play all 4 teams they lost to tough. Just had no offense to speak of & let a top notch defense to fend for themselves. Just wasn't enough.

This year we play everyone again except Temple is in for Pitt. I can see us doing much the same losing 2-3 games in regular season. The CAA schedule is too favorable not to think Nova is a 8 maybe 9 win team.

A loss to Lehigh would be a huge warning signal for my prediction. Must game IMHO.

I dont see Lehigh stopping Villanova's run game. They should control the clock & grind out a win if they play mistake free. The defense won't be as good, but they will be better than most in FCS & by far the best Lehigh sees in the regular season.
    Last edited by Gangtackle11; June 12th, 2017 at 03:36 PM.

[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2488924]
    Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post

I think Nova at #8 is also a bit too high. 9-4 last season, but no signature wins. Beat teams with winning records in Albany, Maine, Lehigh, StFU. Not the most fearsome four. Beat up Lafayette, Towson, Elon, Rhody, Delaware along the way. All poor football teams in '16.

Lost to Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU scoring a total of 21 points (14 from offense). Nova was a product of its schedule. They did play all 4 teams they lost to tough. Just had no offense to speak of & let a top notch defense to fend for themselves. Just wasn't enough.

This year we play everyone again except Temple is in for Pitt. I can see us doing much the same losing 2-3 games in regular season. The CAA schedule is too favorable not to think Nova is a 8 maybe 9 win team.

A loss to Lehigh would be a huge warning signal for my prediction. Must game IMHO.

I dont see Lehigh stopping Villanova's run game. They should control the clock & grind out a win if they play mistake free. The defense won't be as good, but they will be better than most in FCS & by far the best Lehigh sees in the regular season.
    Last year's LU-VU game wasn't particularly indicative of Lehigh (and maybe not Villanova). Shafnisky played great from the Penn game on last year (game 3 I believe), but was a liability against VU. There were 2, for certain, easy TD passes that Shaf missed on against VU that would have changed the outcome. Losing to LU should not be a "huge warning signal". I expect a tight game. Hopefully good (i.e. not too hot) weather at Goodman for a good match-up. BTW, are you Nova folks ever going to bring a good crowd to Bethlehem? It's so close, we have awesome tailgating (which as you know, VU decidedly does not) and is a good match-up. Yet, it's always empty on the visitors side. Crowds are good at VU stadium for this game; why not in Bethlehem?

[QUOTE=LUHawker;2489152]

Last year's LU-VU game wasn't particularly indicative of Lehigh (and maybe not Villanova). Shafnisky played great from the Penn game on last year (game 3 I believe), but was a liability against VU. There were 2, for certain, easy TD passes that Shaf missed on against VU that would have changed the outcome. Losing to LU should not be a "huge warning signal". I expect a tight game. Hopefully good (i.e. not too hot) weather at Goodman for a good match-up. BTW, are you Nova folks ever going to bring a good crowd to Bethlehem? It's so close, we have awesome tailgating (which as you know, VU decidedly does not) and is a good match-up. Yet, it's always empty on the visitors side. Crowds are good at VU stadium for this game; why not in Bethlehem?
    Rhetorical question. Play us in hoops for crowds.

We lose to Lehigh it will be a long CAA season. Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

You could beat us. Heck Penn did in '15, but me thinks it's a bad omen much like the Penn loss was that year.
    Last edited by Gangtackle11; June 13th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11;2489154

We lose to Lehigh it will be a long CAA season. [B
    Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank[/B]. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

You could beat us. Heck Penn did in '15, but me thinks it's a bad omen much like the Penn loss was that year.
    Completely disagree. This years Lehigh would be in the upper half of CAA. Hopefully they can take down the CAA champ like they did in 2011 and Colgate did in 2015.

I really hope the players are underestimating this year's Lehigh as much as you are. Lehigh's talent on offense is MUCH better than Nova's. Defense is another story. Lehigh probably has the advantage in the kicking game.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2489154]
    Quote Originally Posted by LUHawker View Post

We lose to Lehigh it will be a long CAA season. Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

Gotta take issue with your view on talent. I will concede that Nova has a deeper roster than Lehigh overall but not by the edge you seem to see. Moreover, there is no doubt that Lehigh's O has a substantial talent edge over Nova. Nova may have the edge on D particularly at LB .DL also but LU should have a much better one this year.
    I think it will be a close game.
    If it is it will not be an omen for either of a good or bad season.

If they made pre-season predictions based on effort, Georgetown would compete for the title every year. But it's based on performance, and when you're 121st of 122 schools in total offense, you're not making plans in November. Without some real progress offensively, this team may not win a game after mid-September.

Georgetown just added a new RB coach from the U. of Chicago to help with this.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-foot...061317aaa.html
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

[QUOTE=RichH2;2489184]
    Gotta take issue with your view on talent. I will concede that Nova has a deeper roster than Lehigh overall but not by the edge you seem to see. Moreover, there is no doubt that Lehigh's O has a substantial talent edge over Nova. Nova may have the edge on D particularly at LB .DL also but LU should have a much better one this year.
    I think it will be a close game.
    If it is it will not be an omen for either of a good or bad season.
    Didnt say it wasn't going to be a good game. I'd say the line will be Nova -7 or so. I can see Lehigh winning this game, but the odds are they won't.

That said it's a bad loss for Nova as it indicates that they are more likely closer to the middle of the CAA than the top. Sorry, but that's how I see it. I don't see Lehigh being any more than a middle of the pack CAA team.

I don't see them hanging with JMU, Richmond, & UNH for sure. I think Nova is looking to be amongst that group vs. Maine, Stony Brook, W&M, etc.
    It is a bad sign if Nova loses at Lehigh as they still have Temple, JMU, Richmond, etc. so it's real important to not lose to Lehigh.

Lehigh will be a top 25 team win or lose & most likely a playoff team, but it may be more because of playing no one vs. talent. Losing to Nova doesn't hurt Lehigh. Same can't be said for a Nova loss.

Not looking to pick a fight. Just how I see it.

PS: how many of your players held Villanova offers & choose Lehigh? I'd say the answer is zero or close to it.
    Last edited by Gangtackle11; June 13th, 2017 at 06:19 PM.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Completely disagree. This years Lehigh would be in the upper half of CAA. Hopefully they can take down the CAA champ like they did in 2011 and Colgate did in 2015.

I really hope the players are underestimating this year's Lehigh as much as you are. Lehigh's talent on offense is MUCH better than Nova's. Defense is another story. Lehigh probably has the advantage in the kicking game.
    You are delusional Bro. There isn't a single patsy league team that could finish better than 4th or 5th in ANY of the GOOD conferences in the FCS. You couldn't stay within 6 touchdowns of a mediocre UNH team last year. 'Nova wins this one by at least 17pts.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Last couple of years remakably few H2Hs. McCloskey definitely a W for you guys. Didnt have much hope as Mays only a Jr and kid not up to waiting til his Jr yr. True enuf tho ,while we have gotten a few ,Nova has won most . Same with W & M. We do much better vs UNH. Very few conflicts with the rest of CAA.