Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

My Team
    Alabama State

How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

For us the anticipation for our season opener has been going since the game was announced 2 years ago. This year we open up against our long time rival Tuskegee who we have not played since the 2012 Turkey Day Classic. We played Tuskegee every year from 1924-2012 in the Turkey Day Classic. Tuskegee chose to not participate in the D2 Playoffs for years to take part in The Turkey Day Classic. Alabama State and Tuskegee are only 35 miles from each other and our students, fans, faculty interact with each other on an almost daily basis since Tuskegee is a small town and their students come to Montgomery to shop, go to the movies and ect. Tuskegee spoiled our 1st game in the new stadium during the 2012 Turkey Day Classic and they've had the upper hand against us winning 13 of the last 17 meetings. This opener is also the schools 150th anniversary which brings that much more hype to the ball game.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.

My Team
    Alabama State

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.
    Jax State/Troy would be 12/10

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

MSU-Mankato will go on the road at Mary in Bismarck on Thursday, Aug. 31. I've been there twice so I might just go the 80 miles to watch the Gophers against Buffalo instead. The next week they host UM-Crookston, which shouldn't be a close game. Right now it looks like the game of the year might be MSU at UM-Duluth on Sept. 16th. Bemidji had a very good year and pounded us at home, but we don't play them in the regular season this year. They could be the darkhorse.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

VMI going out to Coach Wach's alma-mater, the USAFA.....will be a great trip (longest in VMI history, I am certain)....

1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    VMI going out to Coach Wach's alma-mater, the USAFA.....will be a great trip (longest in VMI history, I am certain)....
    My brother, who is not a big sports fan, loved going to Air Force FB games when he was stationed in Colorado Springs. Beautiful venue.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    Abilene Christian

There is a lot of excitement at ACU, more for the HOME opener than the season opener at New Mexico.

New Coach. Adam Dorrel in 6 years as HC at D2 Northwestern MO. he averaged more than 12 wins a year, was 3x D2 national coach of the year, Won 4 conference championships and 3 national titles, including the last two years. In the short time he has been on campus he has initiated a profound change in the culture. Players are held accountable for actions on and off the field

New Stadium. Opening for a new 52 million dollar on campus stadium is set for Sept 16, following two away games vs Mt West opponents. It's a yawner of a game vs Houston Baptist. The draw is the stadium and a chance to see what Dorrel has done with the team.
    Last edited by Catatonic; June 10th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My brother, who is not a big sports fan, loved going to Air Force FB games when he was stationed in Colorado Springs. Beautiful venue.
    I attended a game there last year when ACU played AFA. It is a beautiful venue with lots of military pageantry and a spectacular new hi def scoreboard that was crystal clear even in the mid day sun.

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

WCU at Hawaii. Some Catamount fans have said it is our best chance to finally beat an FBS team but I suggest otherwise. Hawaii, while not FBS world beaters, still have the full allotment of 85 schollies, did win a bowl game last year and I also feel the flight alone to the Islands will take its toll on our kids. I know for the TRIP ALONE, well to those who are going, I am sure it is a 10/10. The game? I think we can score but I don't think we can stop them. We'll be 0-1 when Davidson comes to Cullowhee a week later and then we can take it out on them. I would really hope we could beat them and G-Webb and be at 2-1 when SoCon play starts with Samford coming to 28723 on September 23. GO CATS!!!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    Jax State/Troy would be 12/10
    I said I wanted a D1 opponent, didn't I?