Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Frequent FCS Advocate Iridebikes's Avatar

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

EWU starts on the road at Texas Tech, last I heard no TV so will be imagining the game. With all of the changes that we've incurred in the coaching staff I've got more apprehension the anticipation. Beau was 6 and 5 his first year here, with a fairly good team. Could be a year of highs and lows.

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    It is a unique week 1 matchup, to be sure.

Wofford has the more talented team and will be the favorite.

Furman will come in with some unique advantages:

1. It is difficult to prepare for a week 1 opponent at any level, as there is some level off guessing and looking at old films. Furman's offensive staff is a compilation of a lot of different offensive philosophies, and there's no game film for the Wofford coaches to dissect (beyond piecing together tape from a number of different universities and a Tennessee High School).

2. Furman had a lot of turnover, but should return a potentially explosive offense with a good bit of speed. PJ Blazejowski is likely the starting signal caller. He's a veteran guy who has had a lot of success against Wofford. He started against them both in 2014 and 2015 and went a combined 29-38 for 520 yards and 5 touchdowns. Wofford, at least to this point, has had a lot of trouble stopping him.

3. Defensively, Furman has several coaches off a Charleston Southern staff that shut Wofford's offense down in the post season. Add to that virtually all of Furman's offensive coaches are veterans of option/run based offenses and can address where and how Wofford may try to make adjustments. Furman has a lot of unanswered questions on defense, but I don't think the Terriers will be surprising them.

4. There's a lot of time to prepare. Its a bizarre week 1 game, but Furman has the advantage of taking as much time as they want to prepare for Wofford. One of the great advantages of an option offense is that it is difficult to prepare for during the season. Seems that advantage is mitigated some when your opponent has ample opportunity to get ready for you.

No question, Wofford will be favored at home. If I were a Terrier fan, there are a lot of other teams I'd rather see out of the gate in week 1 than a new-look Furman team.
    A new look team is hard to prepare for. On the other hand, a new look offense frequently takes 3-4 games to get the kinks ironed out. On the third hand, we have a new DC. Our last new DC took a year to get up to speed, while the prior dc was prepared in his first game. On the fourth paw, the Air Force system is not completely foreign, as it can be traced back to Fisher DeBerry's stint as an assistant at Wofford when the wishbone was installed in 1969.

For the first time in 5-6 years, we will have a true option QB running the offense so expectations are high, but I'll just be happy if we start the season 1-0.

I really hate the idea of playing conference games in week 1, especially a series that dates back to 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    A new look team is hard to prepare for. On the other hand, a new look offense frequently takes 3-4 games to get the kinks ironed out. On the third hand, we have a new DC. Our last new DC took a year to get up to speed, while the prior dc was prepared in his first game. On the fourth paw, the Air Force system is not completely foreign, as it can be traced back to Fisher DeBerry's stint as an assistant at Wofford when the wishbone was installed in 1969.

For the first time in 5-6 years, we will have a true option QB running the offense so expectations are high, but I'll just be happy if we start the season 1-0.

I really hate the idea of playing conference games in week 1, especially a series that dates back to 1889.
    That's the same boat UNH is in as they open with Maine at home week 1. For someone who experienced decades of UMass as the season ending game, I had come around to Maine as that last weekend rivalry game. It just seems bizarre to now play them week 1. But the game should draw a great crowd as the students normally turn out for the first home game and the opponent being Maine should help attract more of them. A sizeable contingent of Black Bear fans will probably attend. The game is being marketed as a Thursday Night Throwdown.

I never got an explanation other than scheduling issues for the reason the game is being played week one. I heard a rumor that Maine wants to host sometime other than that last weekend in the 2018 season. While I wouldn't mind a pre-Columbus day trip to Orono and a side trip to Acadia National Park, I think it is a mistake to not have this game the last week of the regular season. If a mid-season game is scheduled, it will be interesting to see if UNH-Albany is the last game again like it is this year.

Master FCS Advocate GodHelpTheBears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iridebikes View Post
    EWU starts on the road at Texas Tech, last I heard no TV so will be imagining the game. With all of the changes that we've incurred in the coaching staff I've got more apprehension the anticipation. Beau was 6 and 5 his first year here, with a fairly good team. Could be a year of highs and lows.
    It'll probably end up on Fox Sports Southwest Plus or some damn thing, so it might as well be imagined.

EWU has a good foundation - I get the nervousness that a new coach brings in his first game, but Texas Tech is not good. They lost to Iowa State by 56 last year, and their quality players (Mahomes and Fehoko) are no longer on their roster. I expect the Eagles to win this one.
    A university is defined by its community.

Quote Originally Posted by GodHelpTheBears View Post
    It'll probably end up on Fox Sports Southwest Plus or some damn thing, so it might as well be imagined.

EWU has a good foundation - I get the nervousness that a new coach brings in his first game, but Texas Tech is not good. They lost to Iowa State by 56 last year, and their quality players (Mahomes and Fehoko) are no longer on their roster. I expect the Eagles to win this one.
    Agree....TTU is a shade of their former selves under Mike Leach, and EWU showed they could beat a Mike Leach coached team.

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    Mike Houston has the ability to make Morehead State or Rhode Island seem like NDSU when getting his players fired up for game.
    it's nice to see other fans notice this. I've never seen anything like it. we didn't overlook a single team last year. tough to do with young kids.

on ECU, I am confident but maybe just a hair less confident than before I read an article from ECU's coach. he said multiple times that they will be "more balanced" this year. read: we're going to run the ball. i'd rather they air it out as i'm assuming they'll have a big size advantage on the OL, and we're absolutely stacked with pass rushers and DBs. hopefully we can make them one dimensional.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    I'm pumped to final get a chance to knock off clenzy's delta devils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For my Delta Devils it's a

As in, how many points we will score all season...total.

For UNI?

Not a single one.

I'm legit more excited to go to Fargo and rock a Delta Devil shirt for 3 days than any UNI game - and it's not even close.

I used to care about UNI football. May well again some day....

Quote Originally Posted by PantherRob82 View Post
    Not that excited. Iowa State is boring. Ames is a dump. I'm not optimistic about our season. Even a win against the Cyclones wouldn't mean things are headed in a good direction. Just glad to watch some good football, whether that is UNI or someone else.
    That's still too optimistic about this year.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    I'm ready for tailgating.
    Speaking of...Imma do this publicly s you can't say no...

Can I extend my stay by one more day at the front end?

Frequent FCS Advocate Iridebikes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodHelpTheBears View Post

I'd like to join you on game day inside your vat for this one. I agree that we're bringing back alot of experience and talent. My hope is that they can get the coaching staff up to speed. Either way, its always a great day to be and Eagle.