Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Alabama State

How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

For us the anticipation for our season opener has been going since the game was announced 2 years ago. This year we open up against our long time rival Tuskegee who we have not played since the 2012 Turkey Day Classic. We played Tuskegee every year from 1924-2012 in the Turkey Day Classic. Tuskegee chose to not participate in the D2 Playoffs for years to take part in The Turkey Day Classic. Alabama State and Tuskegee are only 35 miles from each other and our students, fans, faculty interact with each other on an almost daily basis since Tuskegee is a small town and their students come to Montgomery to shop, go to the movies and ect. Tuskegee spoiled our 1st game in the new stadium during the 2012 Turkey Day Classic and they've had the upper hand against us winning 13 of the last 17 meetings. This opener is also the schools 150th anniversary which brings that much more hype to the ball game.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.

My Team
    Alabama State

Re: How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.
    Jax State/Troy would be 12/10

BZ Nupe!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    Jax State/Troy would be 12/10
    I said I wanted a D1 opponent, didn't I?

My Team
    Alabama State

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    I said I wanted a D1 opponent, didn't I?
    What's the likelihood of us seeing this game soon?

BZ Nupe!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    What's the likelihood of us seeing this game soon?
    None.

My Team
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    There is a lot of excitement at ACU--

New Coach. Adam Dorrel in 6 years as HC at D2 Northwestern MO. he averaged more than 12 wins a year, was 3x D2 national coach of the year, Won 4 conference championships and 3 national titles, including the last two years. In the short time he has been on campus he has initiated a profound change in the culture. Players are held accountable for actions on and off the field

New Stadium. Opening for a new 52 million dollar on campus stadium is set for Sept 16, following two away games vs Mt West opponents.
    There's no way a coach with that pedigree, even if it's D2, isn't going to turn ACU into a Southland contender in relatively short order (3-5 years from now). A new stadium is always exciting and helps to draw bigger crowds.

Heck, if he can assemble a smash mouth defensive presence, the SLC teams will crumble.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    There's no way a coach with that pedigree, even if it's D2, isn't going to turn ACU into a Southland contender in relatively short order (3-5 years from now). A new stadium is always exciting and helps to draw bigger crowds.

Heck, if he can assemble a smash mouth defensive presence, the SLC teams will crumble.
    Thanks. Expectations are high. Three to five years sounds about right for ACU to become a serious contender. Hey, it took Nick Saban 3 years to get things going at resource rich Alabama. Some fans are hoping for an immediate turn around. I like to point out that Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe his first season at Bama. A little patience is due.

First Class FCS Ruler GodHelpTheBears's Avatar
    My Team
    Missouri State

I'm so excited that I'm going to Chicago for the weekend. I have no desire to watch our guys get blown out by UM-C.
    The only untenable situation is the one you are in right now. Support the dissolution of football at Missouri State University.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Eastern Washington

EWU starts on the road at Texas Tech, last I heard no TV so will be imagining the game. With all of the changes that we've incurred in the coaching staff I've got more apprehension the anticipation. Beau was 6 and 5 his first year here, with a fairly good team. Could be a year of highs and lows.