Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
A new look team is hard to prepare for. On the other hand, a new look offense frequently takes 3-4 games to get the kinks ironed out. On the third hand, we have a new DC. Our last new DC took a year to get up to speed, while the prior dc was prepared in his first game. On the fourth paw, the Air Force system is not completely foreign, as it can be traced back to Fisher DeBerry's stint as an assistant at Wofford when the wishbone was installed in 1969.

For the first time in 5-6 years, we will have a true option QB running the offense so expectations are high, but I'll just be happy if we start the season 1-0.

I really hate the idea of playing conference games in week 1, especially a series that dates back to 1889.
That's the same boat UNH is in as they open with Maine at home week 1. For someone who experienced decades of UMass as the season ending game, I had come around to Maine as that last weekend rivalry game. It just seems bizarre to now play them week 1. But the game should draw a great crowd as the students normally turn out for the first home game and the opponent being Maine should help attract more of them. A sizeable contingent of Black Bear fans will probably attend. The game is being marketed as a Thursday Night Throwdown.

I never got an explanation other than scheduling issues for the reason the game is being played week one. I heard a rumor that Maine wants to host sometime other than that last weekend in the 2018 season. While I wouldn't mind a pre-Columbus day trip to Orono and a side trip to Acadia National Park, I think it is a mistake to not have this game the last week of the regular season. If a mid-season game is scheduled, it will be interesting to see if UNH-Albany is the last game again like it is this year.