Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Master FCS Advocate PaladinNation's Avatar

Re: The All SoCon Preseason Team per SP

All four of these guys could make some noise in the SoCon this season.
    By the looks of the new photos showcasing Furman's new uniforms, the goal of getting Furman players, stronger, faster, and lighter is ahead of schedule. And thank you Coach for getting Furman purple right, and not Barney purple.

Jay Reid DT #75 Antonio Wilcox RB #25 Mattew Schmidt C #62 Dillon Woodruff LB #11

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017FU.jpg  

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    Dee Delaney is our next NFL player. He graduated a couple of weeks ago.

Cam is probably a CFL type of back but I'd watch Rod Johnson. He can REALLY move.
    Unfortunately for The Citadel and the SoCon is he is now a Miami player. A player from Mars Hill transferred to Miami and went in the 7th round this year but Mars Hill can't claim him. Believe it or not though, Miami loses more transfers than they gain. They also had an OT just go to UCLA. Delaney is considered a PFA at this point, according to NFL resources, but he definitely has a shot to get drafted. At a year when Miami got cleaned out by graduation and early entry to the draft they should still have at least 1 player get a shot due to Delaney.

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-in-GA View Post
    Tyler Sexton will be returning at tight end for the Catamounts after missing last year due to injury. He was 1st team all conference in 2015.
    Aubrey Paine is our other TE. He was on the 2016 Freshman All Conference Team.
    Thank God. Tyler was SORELY missed in 2016. GO CATS!!!

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post
    All four of these guys could make some noise in the SoCon this season.
    By the looks of the new photos showcasing Furman's new uniforms, the goal of getting Furman players, stronger, faster, and lighter is ahead of schedule. And thank you Coach for getting Furman purple right, and not Barney purple.

Jay Reid DT #75 Antonio Wilcox RB #25 Mattew Schmidt C #62 Dillon Woodruff LB #11

Congrats on going back to REAL purple. I hate to say this, but I think Hendrix is about to bring Furman back in a monster sort of way. Hope someday our pieces will finally fit. See y'all in the WHEE 3 days before Halloween! GO CATS!!!

AGS FCS Champion

I watched some Samford film tonight and their CB Omari Williams belongs on All-America teams and should get NFL looks. I had not seen coach tape on him during the fall so I was not sure but after seeing it I am a firm believer he will attract a lot of NFL attention. It would not surprise me to see some grade him as a PFA or as high as a 5th-6th round pick.

1-AA is tops!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan View Post
    I watched some Samford film tonight and their CB Omari Williams belongs on All-America teams and should get NFL looks. I had not seen coach tape on him during the fall so I was not sure but after seeing it I am a firm believer he will attract a lot of NFL attention. It would not surprise me to see some grade him as a PFA or as high as a 5th-6th round pick.
    Thanks for bringing this up. Our coaches certainly agree with you. Also, about those Miami transfers, we believe we just got a good one from the Canes in OL Brendan Loftus. At 6-7, 299 lbs. he definitely has the size.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up. Our coaches certainly agree with you. Also, about those Miami transfers, we believe we just got a good one from the Canes in OL Brendan Loftus. At 6-7, 299 lbs. he definitely has the size.
    I have not seen Loftus play yet but I think Williams is definitely a guy with a shot. There still is not much SoCon talent from the 2016 season who I see at the next level though. Levin, Williams, Davis, and maybe Karel Hamilton were about the only ones who I saw as players who could last more than 2 years in the NFL. I know Renew and a few others got a shot but I don't see them as more than a 1-year practice squad type or someone who is brought in for 1-2 years as a camp body but doesn't really make it.

I looked back at the SoCon awards in the 90s there was always a ton of talent in the SoCon and now I would say about 3/4 of those who made the 1st team back then would be in FBS somewhere today. Did you guys realize that the entire 1st team All-SoCon in 1995 made it to the NFL with 2 of them getting drafted and all 4 of them playing at least 1 NFL season. The worst of the group was Coleman from App State who left school early due to grades, went to the NFL Combine, and was a journeyman type with the Vikings who ended up having a very good AFL career. Both Abraham from ETSU and Stevens from App went in the 3rd round while Sutton from App also went to the NFL Combine like the other 3 and played a couple years with the Bears. Not to mention the league had others like UTC RB Marrio Grier, Citadel RB Travis Jervey both get drafted along with David Patten who played a long time, Randy Moss went in the 1st round and played 1 year in the league, and then you had a ton of talent at Marshall. There were many others. One year I looked at the 1st team and all but like 4 or 5 players got a shot in the NFL back then.

With that said, hopefully more transfers like Loftus who have the size to at least get a look will transfer down. I remember 10-20 years ago the MAC would swoop in and take a lot of talent from the CAA (A-10) and SoCon teams but now with Marshall, App, Ga Southern, UMASS, and now Liberty all moving up along with the creation of programs like Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, etc it has certainly watered down the east coast talent and allowed the MVFC, and a few other leagues, to rise and catch up to or pass the CAA and SoCon in overall talent.

No offense, of course, but I'm not terribly concerned about the SoCon's talent pipeline to the NFL.

I like watching SoCon football. I am happy for those that make it to the next level if it is something they want to pursue, but if not a single SoCon player makes the NFL, I won't lose sleep over it.

Transfers probably mean even less to me. Collectively, we could probably come up with a small handful of transfers from FBS schools that actually made a meaningful difference. Just my observation, but most of those guys simply are not that good, which is primarily the reason they weren't seeing the field at their original institution.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    No offense, of course, but I'm not terribly concerned about the SoCon's talent pipeline to the NFL.

I like watching SoCon football. I am happy for those that make it to the next level if it is something they want to pursue, but if not a single SoCon player makes the NFL, I won't lose sleep over it.

Transfers probably mean even less to me. Collectively, we could probably come up with a small handful of transfers from FBS schools that actually made a meaningful difference. Just my observation, but most of those guys simply are not that good, which is primarily the reason they weren't seeing the field at their original institution.

No question it is still a good brand to watch. I just thought it is interesting that we haven't seen quite the elite next level stars that we use to see all the time. There will always be a few big time players in the league each year regardless.

Yes transfers usually don't pan out to be that good unless they leave solely due to a coaching change or perhaps they played and got hurt and lost their job to a 5-star so they left for FCS just to play right away.

I don't have exact stats but I would bet that about 10% of FBS to FCS transfers actually turn out to be a good starter (all-conf or all-america) for their FCS program. There are so many and yet I would guess that out of 100 in a single year only about 10 of them are standout players who are better than just a role player or backup when they transfer down.

If they change transfer rules in the ways I'm reading in articles, then I bet we see the transfer numbers drop in half or more as many will just go to a G5 program when they leave a SEC or ACC team.