Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

CBS Sports host suggests that FCS should move its season to the spring

I'm in the car driving around Birmingham and I'm listening to CBS Sports Radio and the host just suggested that FCS schools should play our season during the Spring right after the Super Bowl so that people will pay attention to football. I've heard some stupid ideas before but this one has to one of the dumbest things I've heard.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

AGS FCS Champion

Re: CBS Sports host suggests that FCS should move its season to the spring

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    I'm in the car driving around Birmingham and I'm listening to CBS Sports Radio and the host just suggested that FCS schools should play our season during the Spring right after the Super Bowl so that people will pay attention to football. I've heard some stupid ideas before but this one has to one of the dumbest things I've heard.
    You sure they weren't interviewing Lehigh Fan Nation on NPR, it sounds like some off the wall idea that he might post. It is stupid nonetheless.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    You sure they weren't interviewing Lehigh Fan Nation on NPR, it sounds like some off the wall idea that he might post. It is stupid nonetheless.

It's le high
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I'm not a weather expert, i'll admit that, but isn't the spring the least predictable of all four seasons? Why would you put an outdoor sport into that?

If you think there's enough rain games in the fall, just wait until it's March-July. I also like it going from really hot to then just right and finally cold. You're now going from kind of cold, to a brief period of nice weather coupled with endless rain, then it's suddenly hot a **** and only getting worse for the final 2-3 months.

School gets out, people have planned vacations with family that grandma would murder you if you suggested moving for football of all things.

Good luck. It might actually make interest even lower and further drive home how "second tier" it is. The WNBA and AFL try to move their seasons away from their main competitor's season and it hasn't done anything to increase interest notably.

The thing that threw me off was his reasoning behind the idea, which was he didn't know anything about the guys drafted from smaller schools and that this would give those guys a chance to be seen.

My real name is Bisontownmocks

Morons abound.....that would make for an interesting recruiting cycle.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

The thing that threw me off was his reasoning behind the idea, which was he didn't know anything about the guys drafted from smaller schools and that this would give those guys a chance to be seen.
    I think that the USFL had their season in the spring. Lots of wet weather games.

Great reasoning by this guy- as if the NFL draft is more important that watching football at the FCS schools for their fans and students.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

The FCS is On The Rise. Quell the uprising! No chance. The scouts aren't having any trouble finding players as it is. Here is an idea......Maybe..... the major networks should cover more of the FCS games for exposure. There is too much talent out there, making people nervous. #FCSOTR #upsetalert

Bingo. If you, the CBS employee, wants to make FCS more relevant, here's a clue. PUT THE GAMES ON YOUR TV CHANNEL.
    People will inevitably become more familiar with a product and potentially view it as a bigger deal if the tv networks made it relevant. How do you think the P5 rose to prominence? Just by sheer luck and some word of mouth?

FCS Conferences won't turn down tv packages on linear or streaming TV channels.

Barry Alvarez, or Kirk Herbstreit?
    1-AA is tops!!