Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Re: Authority of coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I have a little different story to tell. One of my basketball starters was sick, so I had a guy off the bench start against a team that we had already beaten twice. He did OK. Later, his dad, who was the head of the school board, came in to ask why his son didn't stay in the starting lineup because they had won. I told him that the guy he filled in for averaged 18 a game and would later be named all conference. He did the old "well, I played a little bit of basketball so I know" line. I told him that he should plant all corn the next summer. He was confused and asked why I said that. I told him that I grew up on a farm so I know a little bit about that too.

Didn't get my contract renewed after finishing runner up in a twelve team league and winning the baseball title.........but I wouldn't have changed my answer. One year was enough there.
    Excellent. Today, you could have said that you "stayed at a Holiday Inn Express"!
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011

AGS FCS Champion

I got a son that is in the 9th grade. I asked the head coach what he was looking for in a player. He replied simply "can he take a hit". I replied, "and get back up and do it again and again and again." I've never seen that coach smile before. I don't imagine his assistants have either.

Parents get ZERO say on where and when the kids play. The head coach told the players "if I'm talking to you, whether its yelling at you for screwing up or praising you for doing something right, then you know I care. If I quit talking to you, then I don't. And if I don't then it's because YOU have checked out on us." His philosophy is the better players the week of practice get to play in the game. Just because you are a senior doesn't mean you will play. Attitudes in practice and on the sideline get you noticed, for good or for bad. Great philosophies in my book.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because its trust in not in the branch, but in its own wings. ~Anonymous
    Artist formerly known as: UCABEAR

My son plays a sport in college. His first year, we got a letter from the head coach. I'm paraphrasing, but he pretty much said he was the boss and he makes the decisions about playing time and is responsible for the coaching. Parents needed to butt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been coaching high school ball for 5 years now and luckily we haven't had to deal with many parents butting in. I can only think of one occasion where we benched a kid due to injury for his own safety and he dad was furious because there were some big time coaches here to see him. The kid ultimately signed with an ACC school and is doing well but our coaching staff is full of guys who played college football, and pro football at various levels so parents trust us to make the best decisions. We also meet with parents on a regular basis to build a relationship with them which also helps.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    I've been coaching high school ball for 5 years now and luckily we haven't had to deal with many parents butting in. I can only think of one occasion where we benched a kid due to injury for his own safety and he dad was furious because there were some big time coaches here to see him. The kid ultimately signed with an ACC school and is doing well but our coaching staff is full of guys who played college football, and pro football at various levels so parents trust us to make the best decisions. We also meet with parents on a regular basis to build a relationship with them which also helps.
    Thanks for being a coach. For many kids they need a role model and structure. Many of the coaches Ive had through my life had big impacts on my life and I will never forget them.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    Thanks for being a coach. For many kids they need a role model and structure. Many of the coaches Ive had through my life had big impacts on my life and I will never forget them.
    Man I enjoy it. I knew that when I got done playing that I wanted to be close to the game and I'm thankful for our head coach for giving me an opportunity. I've had the pleasure of being around some absolute great kids. Over the past 4 years the program has produced 2 Valedictorians and 37 signees. We have one of the best programs here in metro-Atlanta with 15 former Jaguars who have made it to the NFL. Three of those former NFL players/alums are on the current staff right now.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!