Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Authority of coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    Was his name Craig James?
    Well played. Somewhere Mike Leach is laughing.

Master FCS Advocate GodHelpTheBears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    not sure where to put this (admins move if necessary)....I got into a discussion with a friend that played at a FCS level about his son. He didnt feel the boy was getting a fair shot, and probably wasnt. I mentioned my father (13 yrs NFL, all pro, Super Bowl winner) who bit his tongue often watching those that knew far less about the game make "poor decisions"..... my point was I learned far more about respecting authority by watching my pops (I knew he knew....but it wasn't said) thank I ever would have if he would have undermined the staff (even though he had a right too)....Just know there are several parents on here and some very knowlageable ones....Thoughts? trying to look at the game as a life lesson.
    This is a complex topic, but I'll try to distill it. You have to be blunt - if a kid ends up at Missouri State out of high school, there are two things that are true about their decision:

1) They were, with one or two notable exceptions, never going to cut it in FBS. Dylan Cole and Caleb Schaffitzel are notable exceptions because Ozarks HS football is not taken seriously.
    2) I hope they value personal success because the team sure as hell won't have any.

My second point can breed what you're talking about, the "good lord this team sucks, they should give me a shot" mentality. Are they better? Who knows. Many of these kids shouldn't be on our roster, they should be at an MIAA program, but that's not their fault. They took the best offer available to them.
    A university is defined by its community.

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    Well played. Somewhere Mike Leach is laughing.

*while wearing a pirate hat

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Say what you will about Mike Leach, he is very entertaining to listen to....He also worked hard to make sure his players graduated. One of the few major coaches never to have played the game...Graduate of Pepperdine Law School.

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    *while wearing a pirate hat

FCS Champion

Say what you will about Mike Leach, he is very entertaining to listen to....He also worked hard to make sure his players graduated. One of the few major coaches never to have played the game...Graduate of Pepperdine Law School.
    He also wins in difficult places with lesser talent. I love his uniqueness. We need more personalities like him in football.
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right.

Leach is a helluva coach no doubt. I never attempted to make the point that he wasn't.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Not you;;; one of the posters had a negative comment about coaches who never played the game telling players they were soft as if they shouldn't be allowed to say that to a player....Hell, Mike Leach has made many a man with comments just like that.... Mike Leach reminds me of the Marine Corps Drill Instructor I had....The guy commanded respect, and if you screwed up, had some sort of biting, but witty, come back that would put you in your place, teach you a lesson, and be hard as hell not to crack a smile because deep down those comebacks were funny as hell when you dissected it; god help you if you cracked a smile though.

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    Leach is a helluva coach no doubt. I never attempted to make the point that he wasn't.

Not you;;; one of the posters had a negative comment about coaches who never played the game telling players they were soft as if they shouldn't be allowed to say that to a player....
    I have a little different story to tell. One of my basketball starters was sick, so I had a guy off the bench start against a team that we had already beaten twice. He did OK. Later, his dad, who was the head of the school board, came in to ask why his son didn't stay in the starting lineup because they had won. I told him that the guy he filled in for averaged 18 a game and would later be named all conference. He did the old "well, I played a little bit of basketball so I know" line. I told him that he should plant all corn the next summer. He was confused and asked why I said that. I told him that I grew up on a farm so I know a little bit about that too.

Didn't get my contract renewed after finishing runner up in a twelve team league and winning the baseball title.........but I wouldn't have changed my answer. One year was enough there.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I have a little different story to tell. One of my basketball starters was sick, so I had a guy off the bench start against a team that we had already beaten twice. He did OK. Later, his dad, who was the head of the school board, came in to ask why his son didn't stay in the starting lineup because they had won. I told him that the guy he filled in for averaged 18 a game and would later be named all conference. He did the old "well, I played a little bit of basketball so I know" line. I told him that he should plant all corn the next summer. He was confused and asked why I said that. I told him that I grew up on a farm so I know a little bit about that too.

Didn't get my contract renewed after finishing runner up in a twelve team league and winning the baseball title.........but I wouldn't have changed my answer. One year was enough there.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Great thread. I grew up with a coach and had the pleasure of playing against him as we lived in a different school district, but within the same league. Even back then, I remember Dad mentioning how parents would complain about their son's playing time. He would ask them what their son thought. They hadn't asked. Every time, the result was the same. The boy said that the kid ahead of him was better. Dad was no nonsense and extremely fair. This was back in the '60's. Today, it is much worse many times over. It's all about "me", and that goes for the parents as much as the kids. The young generation of 'helicopter parents' is sad. Arising from 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality. No one can be allowed to fail. The problem is one learns more from failure than from winning, but parents are afraid to let Johnny fall down. Johnny's success or failure somehow becomes a reflection of them. Every one has to be a star. Being part of a successful team is not enough. In college, I found the opportunity to succeed or fail given to me everyday. The coaches are invested in putting a winning team on the field. Ego's need to be checked at the door, or don't enter.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016