Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Authority of coaching staff

not sure where to put this (admins move if necessary)....I got into a discussion with a friend that played at a FCS level about his son. He didnt feel the boy was getting a fair shot, and probably wasnt. I mentioned my father (13 yrs NFL, all pro, Super Bowl winner) who bit his tongue often watching those that knew far less about the game make "poor decisions"..... my point was I learned far more about respecting authority by watching my pops (I knew he knew....but it wasn't said) thank I ever would have if he would have undermined the staff (even though he had a right too)....Just know there are several parents on here and some very knowlageable ones....Thoughts? trying to look at the game as a life lesson.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar

Re: Authority of coaching staff

Coaching involves a learning curve....so does playing....

So does parenting. How many of us are truly objective about our kids?

There are far more parents trying to live vicariously through their kids than guys like your old man, biting their tongues at stupid coaching....
    - Former Poke Center

Proud Participant in The 24 Hours of Booty bicycle ride to raise money for the war on cancer, July 24-25, 7 pm to 7 pm, at Queens University and Myers Park Traditional School, Charlotte, NC. All monies raised go to toward LiveSTRONG and a variety of cancer fighting initiatives devoted to early detection, survivorship and research. All donations are tax deductible.

To contribute, go to:

https://events.24foundation.org/fundraise?fcid=889656

Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

I think if the kid is of age (college) he should have the conversation with his coach him self. Great life lesson in discussing with the coach. He may not like what he hears though. Also I have seen a lot of kids not shoot straight with their parents on why they are not playing. For example, I have had kids caught drinking or missing practice, late to meetings, cutting class and continue to exhibit poor behavior off the field or on. Others just flat getting beat out in practice. The coach doesn't call their parents when the kid is in college and tell them about these things. He discusses with the kid. Personally, I think in High school or Middle school the parent can and should play a diminishing role with the coaches the older the child gets, but if they know the game and can be completely objective should discuss with the kid first then the coach if needed. In college, not so much. The kid should deal with the situation. If its bad enough, transfer or find other interests. There is more to life than just sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    not sure where to put this (admins move if necessary)....I got into a discussion with a friend that played at a FCS level about his son. He didnt feel the boy was getting a fair shot, and probably wasnt. I mentioned my father (13 yrs NFL, all pro, Super Bowl winner) who bit his tongue often watching those that knew far less about the game make "poor decisions"..... my point was I learned far more about respecting authority by watching my pops (I knew he knew....but it wasn't said) thank I ever would have if he would have undermined the staff (even though he had a right too)....Just know there are several parents on here and some very knowlageable ones....Thoughts? trying to look at the game as a life lesson.
    GREAT discussion topic. I played FCS also and at the time we had a merry go round of coaches.

I used to think I didnt get a "fair shot" as a sophomore and most of my junior year. Then my position coach changed. And as a senior I started and played very well. Now over a decade later I look back and realize...i just wasnt good enough as a sophomore haha. I realized 99% of the time the coaches care only about 2 things: 1. Winning and 2. Finding the next better job (which means do #1). I got bigger, faster & performed better in practice and miraculously my coach treated me more "fair" and started me. However...everyone in D1 FBS or FCS was one of the best players on their HS team. So you show up with 90 other "All Whatever" HS guys competing for 22 starting spots. 68 guys arent gonna like the depth chart.

Now yes sometimes egos get involved. But thats life.

I used to think I wanted to coach. I volunteered 2 seasons at CSU as a bottom of totem pole "gopher" (go for this, go for that endless errand boy). Seeing how college coaching works behind the scenes was an eye opener. SOOOOO much I thought I knew but didnt and didnt even know i didn't know. Wasnt for me! It also made some of those head scratcher coaching decisions make a little more sense. The analytics crap and skewing your tendency numbers in a game so the NEXT weeks opponents scouting numbers are thrown off. Mind numbing and I think overrated at times but all teams staffs do it. Like "WHY did we run a draw on 3rd and 25 down 28-3 in the 4th quarter!!!". Throw off scouting tendencies bc you've lost this game.

The one issue I had was coaches who never played college ball but would be highly confrontational with players and calling them soft or unathletic. Players see through that if you couldnt do it. Be tough. Be demanding. But dont grind your own disappointed athletic career on those who got farther.

But the vast majority of the time FCS coaches will play the guy who gives them the best shot at winning while also followinf team rules and culture, at least enough to justify keeping their talent on the roster.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerPokeCenter View Post
    Coaching involves a learning curve....so does playing....

So does parenting. How many of us are truly objective about our kids?

There are far more parents trying to live vicariously through their kids than guys like your old man, biting their tongues at stupid coaching....
    This. I coached and had a long talk with my sister who didn't think that the coach was giving my niece a fair shake in basketball. I pointed out that she played post and really didn't have the height for it. Told her that she could expect to have even less playing time as she got into high school. She switched sports and started in hockey. Meanwhile, her basketball team went to state.

Too many parents just can't see things realistically and do a LaVar Ball.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

As for a parent on the outside who has a lot of football experience.....I guess its no different than if your dad is a VP at a Fortune 500 and you land a job at a small tech firm or something and you tell him about their business decisions. Maybe he thinks they arent wise. But is he gonna go into your bosses office and tell him that? I wouldn't.

FBS/FCS football can do one thing VERY VERY well and that is show everyone just how extremely replaceable they are. Unless you're Tim Tebow or Jadeveon Clowney....you're not only replaceable but your coach is texting your replacement as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    This. I coached and had a long talk with my sister who didn't think that the coach was giving my niece a fair shake in basketball. I pointed out that she played post and really didn't have the height for it. Told her that she could expect to have even less playing time as she got into high school. She switched sports and started in hockey. Meanwhile, her basketball team went to state.

Too many parents just can't see things realistically and do a LaVar Ball.
    ^^^YES^^^

The 2 years I volunteered at CSU we'd have parents come in or call...angry that their son "wont make the NFL" if we dont play him more.

Coaches were like:
    1. Sir if your son was an NFL prospect he wouldnt have trouble starting at CSU
    2. Ma'am your son wasnt good enough to be offered by Clemson or Georgia, thats why we did, and we love him, but he is not an NFL caliber player.

I was blown away by it. Its like...you are only 1 or 2 years removed from high school where no SEC or Big10 teams thought you were good enough for them. NOW you think the Cowboys or Giants will want you??

I can only imagine how intense this problem is at places like Georgia or Notre Dame.

great points on this thread and coaches do get it wrong.... a lot ! but agree, nowhere near as much as the parents...
    Delaware Bluehens RIP

Was his name Craig James?

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post

My dad was hands off the whole time my brother and I played ball, even though he was probably more knowledgeable about the game than most of the coaches that I've had until college. My dad had pretty much an open invitation into the coaches offices and practices while we were at ASU due to him being one of the greats there, but he maybe attended one practice per year and he was always barely noticeable. The ONLY time my dad even offered to visit the coaches was after the 2006 season that I missed and decided to leave the school as a grad transfer, and even then he told me to go to the coaches and look them in the face like a man first and tell them what you want to do. He said that if needed to get involved he would but he preferred that I handled it.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!