Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 FCS to FBS Road Trips.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Top 3 FCS to FBS Road Trips.

Instead of hijacking the top FCS road trips thread, i thought I would start a new topic. What are your top experiences as a FCS program when playing FBS programs? I'm thinking maybe the list will differ from lists on the internet about schools that normally have great game day experiences because sometimes fans of these programs don't have a lot of enthusiasm for playing FCS teams which kills the game day vibe.....Or maybe not. Whatcha got?

Abilene Christian is still so new at this level that we don't have much experience but so far the hands down winner is Air Force Academy. Hard to beat playing a game with the Rockies in the back ground and all the military pageantry. Tail gating wasn't bad, but that's not what makes this experience special.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

Re: Top 3 FCS to FBS Road Trips.

Drove to College Station to watch SHSU play Texas A&M. Great tailgating, great (cultish) vibe. We kept is pretty close, which got the crowd into it more. And, of course, it didn't hurt to watch Johnny Manziel do his thing...
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

LSU (2010, more than 2015)
    Texas A&M (2001)
    ULL (2007, because we beat the snot out of them)

These are the trips that I made that were the best.

Edit: Nebraska in 2002 wasn't bad. I didn't make the last Nebraska trip in 2014.

Doc

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

2008 - Clemson, always a great game day, the whole place was electric, tailgating was overwhelming, friendliness, stadium excitement, etc. were all great. Stadium was almost full. Lots of El Cid fans in the stadium as well, lots of people wearing both Blue and Orange!
    1984 - South Carolina, my senior year, went with my future wife, great party, nice atmosphere, and we almost beat them as well, should have. Lots of dual fans in the stadium as well, there are many mixed families in SC. The entire stadium (71K strong) was on its feet the last quarter as the slugfest was decided.
    1991 - Army, who wouldn't like a game at West Point (luckily I was stationed in upstate NY at the time), the pageantry, the tailgating, all great, always fun playing another military school......Oh yeah, we also won the game

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech 1984, my senior year, its Hotlanta, who wouldn't have a great time? Picture cadets invading Frat Row prior to the game, and they were awesome hosts as well, most were yelling to us on the street to come in and have beer with them. It was a big street party. Stadium had all the pageantry one would expect.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    And, of course, it didn't hurt to watch Johnny Manziel do his thing...
    Are you referring to him on the field or at the night club after the game?

For me the top two were Minnesota and Colorado St. For Minnesota it was mostly due to the army of NDSU fans that blitzed downtown Minneapolis and the U of M campus for those games. For Colorado St it was a beautiful area of the country with gorgeous weather and something like 8 hours of tailgating. It helped that flights were cheap since there's plenty of direct flights from Fargo to Denver.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    Western Illinois

It's always fun when we go up to Northern Illinois and beat them. My Leathernecks are 4-1 in WIU vs NIU games I've been to at Northern.

As for actual atmosphere...before the game, probably Mizzou. During the game, I'd say Illinois (especially halftime...Marching Illini is one of my favorite of the big college bands).
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    McNeese State

Best (McNeese was competitive in all these)
    LSU
    Texas A&M
    Nebraska

Worse
    Missouri
    Kansas State
    Southern Mississipi
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Been to Nebraska twice, Kansas twice, Missouri once and Iowa State once.

1) & 2)Best trip by far was the Nebraska trips. Only an hour and a half away, great fan base, nice stadium, and it also help I am also a Husker fan. Could have pulled out the first game and did have a lead in the second game.

3) Second game against Kansas. The game SDSU finally pulls out an FBS win. Sure, Kansas stunk, but it was nice seeing SDSU get the FBS monkey off its back.

Worst was Missouri. Mostly because it was hot as hell out.
    Last edited by Evolution Prime; May 11th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    1984 - South Carolina, my senior year, went with my future wife, great party, nice atmosphere, and we almost beat them as well, should have. Lots of dual fans in the stadium as well, there are many mixed families in SC. The entire stadium (71K strong) was on its feet the last quarter as the slugfest was decided.

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech 1984, my senior year, its Hotlanta, who wouldn't have a great time? Picture cadets invading Frat Row prior to the game, and they were awesome hosts as well, most were yelling to us on the street to come in and have beer with them. It was a big street party. Stadium had all the pageantry one would expect.
    1) 1982 - @ South Carolina - WE whooped 'em good. Went head-to-head vs. a Playboy All-American, Outland Trophy Candidate, Future NFL (Falcons) DLman...as I said WE whooped 'em good.

2) 1983 - @ Georgia Tech - WE whooped 'em good. Coaching in the box that day and got to ride down the elevator with the whooped GT Coaching Stuff (BWAHA HA HA!!!)

3) 1984 - @ NC State - WE whooped 'em good. Got pulled out of the stands in the 2nd Quarter to Coach the OL the rest of the game cuz the OL Coach was havin' heart palpitations.

Honorable Mention: 1985 - @ NC State - just a Fan that day and WE whooped 'em even gooder!!
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

First Class FCS Ruler GodHelpTheBears's Avatar
    My Team
    Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    Instead of hijacking the top FCS road trips thread, i thought I would start a new topic. What are your top experiences as a FCS program when playing FBS programs? I'm thinking maybe the list will differ from lists on the internet about schools that normally have great game day experiences because sometimes fans of these programs don't have a lot of enthusiasm for playing FCS teams which kills the game day vibe.....Or maybe not. Whatcha got?

Abilene Christian is still so new at this level that we don't have much experience but so far the hands down winner is Air Force Academy. Hard to beat playing a game with the Rockies in the back ground and all the military pageantry. Tail gating wasn't bad, but that's not what makes this experience special.
    I have Arkansas at #1 because Fayetteville rules, and the drive down is nice and purty. I wish Springfield had a Dickson Street.

Oklahoma State is #2, most people think of Stillwater as a craphole but it's my ideal version of a small town. It is person-for-person the best country music town with more good eats than you'd think a small town in Oklahoma would have. Bonus points are given to the fan base, who were polite before the game and gracious after, since our guys actually kept it kind of close that day.

Even though the game hasn't happened yet, I'll put Mizzou last. Their fans are actually rather nice (although fan interaction in September will be a ****show since it's between us), but Columbia is in that weird spot where it's getting too large to be a college town, but too small to feel distinct. Really, it feels like Springfield without the hillbilly quirks. Not a bad place, just kind of bland.
    The only untenable situation is the one you are in right now. Support the dissolution of football at Missouri State University.