Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Top 3 road game experiences in FCS??? (Best food advice also!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    GO BUCS

What is your Top 3 road game experiences in FCS??? (Best food advice also!)

Some May offseason filler. Whats your 3 best away FCS game experiences as a player or fan? And if you have food recommendations for them please share.

1. The Citadel. I know its just 15 miles from my alma mater but its "away" and last time I went in 2015 we got a hotel downtown. Walked to the game after watching early SEC games at a bar, spent morning at beach. Big nice stadium. Great weather. Cool military stuff. Charleston women. We won which was nice. I'm telling yall....theres few cities like this and having a nice big FCS stadium in walking distance is hard to beat. I was also at the last App State @ Citadel game (girlfriend went to ASU). Dogs beat em. That was an incredible atmosphere. Best thing here is the huge video board and fans right on top of the field. Cannons echo off walls. Ashley River in background. And bro....they serve Chic Fil A sandwiches!!! Delicious!! If you get a chance this is a great place to come see a game.

2. Wofford. Very nice comfortable stadium. Parking was very well set up. Their fans were so cool to us and offered us tailgate food. Afterwards we went to The Beacon which apparently is somewhat famous. And I know why. Jesus Christ it was good but you'd die at age 40 if you went every day. Im big on parking and access. They have a Starbucks within short walking distance (it was cold and I love coffee!). The NFLs Panthers train here so everything is very well done and clean. And theres a huge grass hill under the scoreboard the kids can slide down on cardboard. It was just a spectacular small college football environment.

3. SC State. This was back in the late 90s when they were really good. Kinda big stadium. But let me tell ya...when their marching band is rocking and its a close game, and their stadium is packed, thats as fun of a game as you can be part of. The energy in that place was crazy with the band going.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

My Team
    Alabama State

Re: What is your Top 3 road game experiences in FCS??? (Best food advice also!)

1. Southern- One word to describe it........ELECTRIC! Southern has one of the best fan bases in all of FCS football and they make it absolutely hell on opposing teams. The Human Jukebox only adds fuel to the fire. Southern are the Undisputed Kings of the parking lot. They have tailgating from one end of campus to the other end. Be prepared to have a taste of everything in the tailgate area from gumbo, to grilled gator, to ribs, brats, and everything in-between.

2. Jackson State- like Southern, Jackson State has a HUGE fan base and a helluva marching band. Great atmosphere for a ball game and great tailgating. Loud fan base, great atmosphere, and beautiful women.

3. FAMU-We've only been down there twice in the last 15 years but it's a helluva atmosphere. Nothing like going into the stadium and seeing all of the historic FAMU teams on the walls. I can only speak on FAMU from a player's standpoint but from what I know the tailgating and pregame stuff is also epic!

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

My Team
    GO BUCS

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    1. Southern- One word to describe it........ELECTRIC! Southern has one of the best fan bases in all of FCS football and they make it absolutely hell on opposing teams. The Human Jukebox only adds fuel to the fire. Southern are the Undisputed Kings of the parking lot. They have tailgating from one end of campus to the other end. Be prepared to have a taste of everything in the tailgate area from gumbo, to grilled gator, to ribs, brats, and everything in-between.

2. Jackson State- like Southern, Jackson State has a HUGE fan base and a helluva marching band. Great atmosphere for a ball game and great tailgating. Loud fan base, great atmosphere, and beautiful women.

3. FAMU-We've only been down there twice in the last 15 years but it's a helluva atmosphere. Nothing like going into the stadium and seeing all of the historic FAMU teams on the walls. I can only speak on FAMU from a player's standpoint but from what I know the tailgating and pregame stuff is also epic!
    Sounds awesome. I think SC States band is called Marching 101 or something. But when we played em it was packed, like 20k ppl and the band was 100x better than any sound system a stadium could have. My parents said the tailgating was unmatched anywherd they ever went.

And...the heckling was classic. We were one of the only non HBCU teams to visit their place. They yelled "we dont sell sunscreen here" (it was 100 degrees that day) and other things that poked fun at us but never crossed into inappropriate. The best was "CSU, why yall got 50 kickers on yalls team?" (State had 1 white dude, the kicker) Haha!

My Team
    Alabama State

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    Sounds awesome. I think SC States band is called Marching 101 or something. But when we played em it was packed, like 20k ppl and the band was 100x better than any sound system a stadium could have. My parents said the tailgating was unmatched anywherd they ever went.

And...the heckling was classic. We were one of the only non HBCU teams to visit their place. They yelled "we dont sell sunscreen here" (it was 100 degrees that day) and other things that poked fun at us but never crossed into inappropriate. The best was "CSU, why yall got 50 kickers on yalls team?" (State had 1 white dude, the kicker) Haha!
    SC State has a VERY nice gameday atmosphere. I've been up to O-Burg a few times.

BZ Nupe!

My Team
    GO BUCS

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    SC State has a VERY nice gameday atmosphere. I've been up to O-Burg a few times.
    We played there twice in the last 5 years of Willie Jeffries career. That man was a great one.

My Team
    Alabama State

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    We played there twice in the last 5 years of Willie Jeffries career. That man was a great one.
    The one time we played them during my time was down in Birmingham for the 2005 MEAC/SWAC challenge. The brought nice following down to Birmingham.

BZ Nupe!

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Outside of the FCS Championship game in TX, the NDSU/Montana game a couple years ago in Missoula was awesome, took the wife down and meet BF02 down there.

Got in on Thursday, ate at a couple cool places downtown, can't remember where they were, ate at the Montana Club up by our hotel, ate appetizers and drank for the most part. Decent.

Alpha Griz hosted a tailgate so we mooched food and beer off of him, it was great. Meet Ursus and Citdog down there, got a tour of the Hall of Fame for U of M, pretty cool. Somebody has made arrangements for this beer bus deal, I wasn't on it but some of the homies from back in my home town were and they pulled up and parked illegally when we were doing the Hall of Fame tour. The pic is from when they pulled up, we stood there and drank beer for awhile. The bus a a great sound system and beer taps on the outside.

Bison lost, game sucked, crowd was good. Couple guys I was standing next to had a sign that said "it smells like ash in here" because the fires were really bad and the smoke was bad and a couple of people walked up to where we were standing and gave them hell, zero sense of humor.

I love that part of Montana would like to retire out there sometime maybe.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0354.jpg  
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar
    My Team
    Good Ol' Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Outside of the FCS Championship game in TX, the NDSU/Montana game a couple years ago in Missoula was awesome, took the wife down and meet BF02 down there.

Got in on Thursday, ate at a couple cool places downtown, can't remember where they were, ate at the Montana Club up by our hotel, ate appetizers and drank for the most part. Decent.

Alpha Griz hosted a tailgate so we mooched food and beer off of him, it was great. Meet Ursus and Citdog down there, got a tour of the Hall of Fame for U of M, pretty cool. Somebody has made arrangements for this beer bus deal, I wasn't on it but some of the homies from back in my home town were and they pulled up and parked illegally when we were doing the Hall of Fame tour. The pic is from when they pulled up, we stood there and drank beer for awhile. The bus a a great sound system and beer taps on the outside.

Bison lost, game sucked, crowd was good. Couple guys I was standing next to had a sign that said "it smells like ash in here" because the fires were really bad and the smoke was bad and a couple of people walked up to where we were standing and gave them hell, zero sense of humor.

I love that part of Montana would like to retire out there sometime maybe.

I hate to break it to you, but the governor actually just signed a bill banning North Dakotan immigrants. Idaho will welcome you with open arms, however.

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Grizalltheway View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but the governor actually just signed a bill banning North Dakotan immigrants. Idaho will welcome you with open arms, however.
    I would too, they walk in there like they own the place, break local laws, lower property values, cause general chaos and misery and then bitch that the free beer isn't cold enough or it is Miller lite instead of Bud Light.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar
    My Team
    Good Ol' Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    I would too, they walk in there like they own the place, break local laws, lower property values, cause general chaos and misery and then bitch that the free beer isn't cold enough or it is Miller lite instead of Bud Light.
    They also whine about the smoke.