Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by Cocky View Post
    Would love to play those caliber of teams but my travel budget would not allow me to view many.
    JSU has one difference than most schools in the OVC, we would like to win in all sports not just basketball.
    I don't even know how accurate my opinion is on this, but I have always thought JSU was not an attractive conference partner simply because it never seemed like they were truly committed to the FCS. However, I've said that for 10 years and it may just be Jacksonville State is staying at the FCS level long term.

I'm still in favor of the SoCon trying to pick up Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by Killamike259 View Post

Now as far as D2 teams moving up, this really is just teams that fit the Geography threshold for the Big South, MEAC and SWAC respectively.

North Alabama
    Valdosta State
    West Alabama
    Florida Tech
    SW Baptist
    NW Missouri State
    Southwest Baptist??? As a D2 guy I'd like to know your reasoning on that. Too small of a school, no football success- just don't see that as a possibility.

My NW Mo State friends mostly say the same as Grand Valley- neither want to move up.

Florida Tech has the most potential of moving from the teams that you listed.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

First Class FCS Advocate Killamike259's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Southwest Baptist??? As a D2 guy I'd like to know your reasoning on that. Too small of a school, no football success- just don't see that as a possibility.

My NW Mo State friends mostly say the same as Grand Valley- neither want to move up.

That one was a "longshot" pick to begin with, sure most of these probably won't move but I was choosing teams based on geography and SW Baptist would kinda fit in the SWAC if they ever got really good. They had a good season last year though so who's to say they couldn't keep the good streak going.

These picks were purely Geography based so if you look at it from that perspective SW Baptist does fit the profile for the SWAC.

As far as them being a small school:

I didn't really pick these schools based on size, when looking at the profiles of the SWAC and MEAC you have very little to choose from that makes sense travel wise

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post

That didn't stop Houston Baptist...
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because its trust in not in the branch, but in its own wings. ~Anonymous
    Artist formerly known as: UCABEAR

Quote Originally Posted by UNHWildcat18 View Post
    Not sure what will happen in the north east. The CAA is stable and made a commitment to having not only 63 scholarships but stadium size requirements as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure they told albany it need to be 8000k plus for them to join. Simply put no NEC team is close to having the brand name or stadium size to be in the CAA regardless if they said they would go 63. The PL doesn't look like it will change in terms of membership either. I don't see any D2 teams moving up to the NEC.

The only wild card is monmouth. better brand than NEC teams due to basketball, 63 scholarships and not allowed in NEC, nice new stadium but 4400k even if the CAA was looking would probably not get them in.

Northeast looks stagnant and stable.
    NEC expansion options are pretty limited, and most scenarios remain unlikely:

NEC - Marist (Pioneer), Delaware State (MEAC), Georgetown (Patriot), Morgan State (MEAC),

Potential D-II upgrades will most likely come from the NE-10 or PSAC:

Bentley (NE-10), Merrimack (NE-10), New Haven (NE-10)
    West Chester (PSAC), Indiana, Pa (PSAC), Kutztown (PSAC)

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

The Don of the MVFC Mafia
    Where ever I happen to be when you are reading this!

Just curious if any of the MVFC guys knows does the MVFC have a minimum stadium capacity?
    If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I don't even know how accurate my opinion is on this, but I have always thought JSU was not an attractive conference partner simply because it never seemed like they were truly committed to the FCS. However, I've said that for 10 years and it may just be Jacksonville State is staying at the FCS level long term.

I'm still in favor of the SoCon trying to pick up Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State.
    Well, from a geographic standpoint, JSU would be alright, but as many have pointed out, I am not sure that it is good from an academic/institution type aspect. I think KSU has obvious FBS ambitions although the Atlanta market may be saturated and they could very well languish for years, so maybe. If the Big South, goes south in the near future, I would interested to see if some sort of mega SOCON growth is possible, or even desired.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Just curious if any of the MVFC guys knows does the MVFC have a minimum stadium capacity?
    Not that I've ever heard. The smallest stadium in the conference currently is the DakotaDome at 10k seats (weren't they talking about expanding that a little when they were building the sports center right next to it?...or was that just for things like offices and stuff?), and then Indiana State's 1-sided field and UND's Alerus Center (once they officially join) are in the 12k+ range...everyone else is bigger than that.

Some of the other teams mentioned as possibly joining the MVFC if some crazy realignment happens include:
    Murray State - 16.8k seats
    Eastern IL - 10k seats
    Jacksonville State (I don't really see that happening) - plenty big at 24k

I don't think any of the possibilities mentioned have less than a 10k seat stadium.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

"Time is money; Money is power; Power is pizza; Pizza is knowledge. Let's go!"

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Not that I've ever heard. The smallest stadium in the conference currently is the DakotaDome at 10k seats (weren't they talking about expanding that a little when they were building the sports center right next to it?...or was that just for things like offices and stuff?), and then Indiana State's 1-sided field and UND's Alerus Center (once they officially join) are in the 12k+ range...everyone else is bigger than that.

Some of the other teams mentioned as possibly joining the MVFC if some crazy realignment happens include:
    Murray State - 16.8k seats
    Eastern IL - 10k seats
    Jacksonville State (I don't really see that happening) - plenty big at 24k

I don't think any of the possibilities mentioned have less than a 10k seat stadium.
    I think the only way the MVFC expands is if the MVC adds a team that needs a home for their FCS team (Murray St). Otherwise I'm not sure they have much reason to. However the MVFC could possibly end up being the catalyst of major conference realignment in FCS. That all depends on what happens with who the MVC takes and what sort of chain reaction that causes to happen to the Summit League. If the end result is several (likely eastern) Summit teams to get grabbed by the Horizon, and worse case if its three teams, it could cause the Dakotas to start shopping themselves around possibly. Then who knows what happens. That could end up with all sorts of possibilities ranging from the unlikely like a new western conference of state schools to the Dakotas finding a different bball conference and staying put in the MVFC. If they did end up leaving then teams like JSU come into play, but realistically I don't see any of that happening.
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    We have the perfect number of members at present.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá