Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    The Big 12 is going to collapse and cease to exist. The better schools will get swallowed by the remaining P4, the rest will go to the AAC or MWC.

I think the biggest FCS changes will come in the west. The WAC are going to continue to look to D2 for expansion candidates. If they can get two or three D2 FB schools to bite, and NMSU finally get it and move down, expect the WAC to get serious about starting FCS FB. If that happens I would expect some of the southern tier of the BSC along with Poly and Davis to look to the WAC. The west could use a second FCS conference. In fact, its needed.

Weber
    If the Big 12 did dissolve I believe Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would all head to the SEC, WVU would probably bolt for the ACC, Baylor & TCU would look to the PAC 10 along with Kansas, Texas Tech would probably look to the Mountain West and Kansas State & Iowa State both would look to be west imprints in the AAC where there basketball programs can flourish

First Class FCS Ruler jacksfan29's Avatar

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    I don't see the Big 12 collapsing as long as Texas is aboard, and Texas is making a lot of money off their exclusive TV deal which any other conference would likely make them give up. So I don't see them leaving. Plenty of schools are actively pushing to join. It's a matter of time and who, IMO.
    Oklahoma are still reported as wanting out, desperately. If they leave Texas won't have a choice.

As for the schools looking to join, the AAC and MWC schools who want to move up have one and only one shot left. The window is closing and they know it. The only problem is the Big 12 (namely Texas and OK) don't want them. Something which was made rather clear during the last round of Big 12 expansion talks.

I do believe there will be conference changes. The SWAC haven't had a new member addition in all sports since 1998 when Alabama A&M joined. I think that FAMU would leave the MEAC for the SWAC (Travel expenses has to be killing them). I am also concerned about a lot of MEAC schools future in FCS. I see that some MEAC schools and some schools in Virginia are charging over $1000 a year to students to fund their athletic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    The Big South may pick up a Pioneer team or two. Most of the Eastern and Southern conferences are fairly stable. The MVFC is in danger of becoming too big as is the Big Sky, and the two of them should split into 3 geographically reasonable conferences - but they probably won't.
    ^ This.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Oklahoma are still reported as wanting out, desperately. If they leave Texas won't have a choice.

As for the schools looking to join, the AAC and MWC schools who want to move up have one and only one shot left. The window is closing and they know it. The only problem is the Big 12 (namely Texas and OK) don't want them. Something which was made rather clear during the last round of Big 12 expansion talks.
    The SEC should just pull the trigger and offer Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas (hoops and KU/Mizzou rivalry) and Texas and tell em first 2 to accept are in and no more.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by tierre View Post
    I do believe there will be conference changes. The SWAC haven't had a new member addition in all sports since 1998 when Alabama A&M joined. I think that FAMU would leave the MEAC for the SWAC (Travel expenses has to be killing them). I am also concerned about a lot of MEAC schools future in FCS. I see that some MEAC schools and some schools in Virginia are charging over $1000 a year to students to fund their athletic programs.
    It's more likely for us(Alabama State) and Alabama A&M to leave the SWAC for the MEAC than it would be for FAMU joining the SWAC.

AGS FCS Expert

Why do they have one shot left and what do you mean the window is closing?

First Class FCS Ruler UNHWildcat18's Avatar

Not sure what will happen in the north east. The CAA is stable and made a commitment to having not only 63 scholarships but stadium size requirements as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure they told albany it need to be 8000k plus for them to join. Simply put no NEC team is close to having the brand name or stadium size to be in the CAA regardless if they said they would go 63. The PL doesn't look like it will change in terms of membership either. I don't see any D2 teams moving up to the NEC.

The only wild card is monmouth. better brand than NEC teams due to basketball, 63 scholarships and not allowed in NEC, nice new stadium but 4400k even if the CAA was looking would probably not get them in.

Northeast looks stagnant and stable.

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

First Class FCS Advocate Killamike259's Avatar

Looking at the current Conference pictures I can see a few possibilities:

1. The Big South grabbing 1-2 members from another conference, making the possibility for a few D2 schools to possibly move up to a conference like the MEAC or SWAC depending on who leaves.

The teams I currently think could jump ship from another conference goes as follows:

Florida A&M
    Alabama A&M
    Alabama State
    Jville State(I'll explain this later)

Now as far as D2 teams moving up, this really is just teams that fit the Geography threshold for the Big South, MEAC and SWAC respectively.

North Alabama
    Valdosta State
    West Alabama
    Florida Tech
    SW Baptist
    NW Missouri State

There's probably more but you get the idea.

2. Big South Folding all together:

The way the conference currently stands, it would hardly be a surprise to me if it goes under like the WAC did a few years ago in the FBS.

3. The WAC re-forming as an FCS conference:

This isn't out of the realm of possibility but it would take a lot of effort from everyone involved to pull this off.

If NMSU follow's in Idaho's steps we could see something interesting occur.

4. Teams forming teams in conferences they're already members of:

We've seen this twice already in Kennesaw State and ETSU.

With some convincing, there is a slight possibility of seeing a few new programs pop up in the near future.

5. Jacksonville State to MVFC

Before you guys start moaning at how dumb I am for even thinking this, let me explain first.

In recent years Jville State has outgrown the OVC as far as power level goes.

The last few seasons we've seen them consistently perform well against high level opposition. The one blemish being their title game defeat to NDSU, but I'll let that one slide considering how crazy good NDSU was that season compared to the rest of the FCS as a whole.

If Missouri State is a MVFC team, how far off is it to think that a team such as Jville State couldn't jump ship to the MVFC? It may involve several other changes to the MVFC as a whole but, as unrealistic as that may sound, Jville State are outgrowing their conference at a staggering level and it's only a matter of time before we see something occur whether the make the jump up to FBS like Coastal did, or we see them try and get into a conference that suits their level as a team.

AGS FCS Expert

Would love to play those caliber of teams but my travel budget would not allow me to view many.
    JSU has one difference than most schools in the OVC, we would like to win in all sports not just basketball.
    Jacksonville State University
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

http://www.gojaxstate.com/forum/