Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore62 View Post
    in this scenario wouldnt the NCAA (being the other P5 schools) be leaving with them? they clearly have all the power.
    You would assume so, however, the FCS D2 and D3 schools would put up one hell of a fight in the courts to ensure this stops and never happens. The NCAA would be forced to let them walk for nothing or try and tie the P5 in the courts due to labor laws and contractual agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    The NCAA makes almost all of its income from March Madness. It makes no money from football and is not part of the "College Football Playoff". In fact, the NCAA probably loses money on football, flying teams around in the FCS, D2 and D3 playoffs. As long as the P5 keep basketball in the NCAA, the NCAA doesn't really care. If the P5 choose to leave completely, there is nothing the NCAA can do other than beg and grovel. For antitrust reasons, the P5 can't prohibit G5 schools from leaving, too, but they can make it so expensive the G5 schools cannot afford to move.

For now, the point is moot, since I doubt anything will happen until the CFP contract expires (or ESPN goes bankrupt), and even then, I suspect the NCAA will give the big boys whatever it takes to keep March Madness intact.
    When ESPN goes bankrupt and Disney realizes the mistakes they have made are killing them, the NCAA will do everything in their power to secure the football rights. That contract is too lucrative to pass up. The thing is, the NCAA will have no power as Title IX freaks will lose their **** if men's sports are overpaid compared to women's sports. That is why the NCAA will do what they can to try and force all sports to remain under Title IX issues or they will lose everything. It is either an all or nothing secenario.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    If they want to break away, let them, more power to them. I see more talent in that mid-range level since athletes want to play and why would someone want to be 3rd string at a mediocre school like Minnesota when they can start at a G5/Top 10 FCS school? The scholarships will be nice but more people will go to the 2nd level of athletics who are borderline to ensure playing time and scouts noticing them.
    I can see your point, but you need to remember that these kids coming out of high school all think they are the best and will someday start. I mean, you have high level players willing to take a grey shirt to Alabama when they could easily be getting a full ride at another P5 school. Why? Because they truly believe they will get that scholarship. I can see the P5 hording talent and burying talented players 3 deep, it was once that way and will happen again if scholarship limits are raised. Plus, there are also those players who are talented, but realistic, and see that being a backup or third stringer on full ride is a good way to a free education from a Big Ten, ACC, or PAC 12 school. Those are players that would make a difference at the FCS level but are ones we will miss out on.

Pride of the Western Plain

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    It's clearly conjecture, but...

"Is Florida State Football, LLC going to wear garnet and gold and play on the campus of Florida State University, just like the athletic teams that represent Florida State University?" Yes, per the license --FSU rents Doak Campbell Stadium and the practice facilities to the LLC.

"Are profits from concessions, tickets, merchandising, television contracts, etc. going to inure in any way to Florida State University?" Yes, per the contract

"Are you going to be required to be an enrolled student at Florida State University in order to be an independent contractor with Florida State Football, LLC?" No. An athlete could enroll at FSU, but it wouldn't be required.

(And on a unrelated issue, the fundraising arm of FSU athletics is a 501(c)(3) corporation and legally separate from the university.)

http://boosters.fsu.edu/
    Right but the catch is that Title IX doesn't just cover intercollegiate sports- it covers ALL university programs, be they athletic or not. If Florida State were only to license and contract with Florida State Football, LLC, and only rent Doak Campbell to Florida State Football, LLC, and Florida State Football, LLC only provides its (substantial) benefits to male students or non-students, Florida State University is providing opportunities to males that are not available to females.

Top FCS Advocate NorthChuckSouth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Well, from a geographic standpoint, JSU would be alright, but as many have pointed out, I am not sure that it is good from an academic/institution type aspect. I think KSU has obvious FBS ambitions although the Atlanta market may be saturated and they could very well languish for years, so maybe. If the Big South, goes south in the near future, I would interested to see if some sort of mega SOCON growth is possible, or even desired.
    have like an east/west divisions and the winner of each plays in a championship game? Don't know how that would go over.. especially trying to get into the playoffs

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    I agree the SoCon is just right now with 9FB and 10BB schools is perfect......however I would love to see JSU in the SoCon. I wouldn't be against KSU.

There are some at JSU that would like to move up but I am not sure they are in a position to do it right now. They are more GSU than App.
    I prefer JSU to be in a conference with the closest schools. OVC, SOCON, Big South, Sunbelt or CUSA doesnt matter as the collection of teams are similar but the amount of easy travel to away games is the key. Great gameday atmosphere comes from attendance from both schools fans, meeting new folks and giving each other a little hell.
    Jacksonville State University
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

http://www.gojaxstate.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Cocky View Post
    I prefer JSU to be in a conference with the closest schools. OVC, SOCON, Big South, Sunbelt or CUSA doesnt matter as the collection of teams are similar but the amount of easy travel to away games is the key. Great gameday atmosphere comes from attendance from both schools fans, meeting new folks and giving each other a little hell.
    I'm shocked that UNA or tUNA as you guys call them didn't get the nod to get into the OVC.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

First Class FCS Ruler GodHelpTheBears's Avatar

I want the same thing, but it just won't happen at this level - there aren't enough schools in our region. So, as an outlier in any scenario, we have to choose - which conference's core fits us best? Is it the Dakotas and Iowa? Is it south Texas? Is it central Tennessee?
    The only untenable situation is the one you are in right now. Support the dissolution of football at Missouri State University.

Have to disagree with you there. The two best home atmospheres in FCS are Montana and NDSU where they don't have more than a couple hundred visiting fans. It's not visiting fans that make it fun, it's a full stadium. I enjoy meeting opposing fans and giving each other crap as much as the next guy, but that's not what makes an overall great gameday atmosphere. A full loud stadium is the key.
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

This. Very much this. Same with Lehigh.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh certainly do. I'd hazard a guess that Lafayette does, as well.

No offense, Sader87, but HC's football approach sounds increasingly similar to the philosophy HC ice hockey employed when they did just enough to keep out of ECAC Hockey and remain in a weaker league, even though the ECAC wanted HC - BADLY - and they were a far better fit in the conference then Quinnipiac.
    Yup! Despite the recurring moaning from some Crusader fans about being in the PL, most have a parochial view of the FCS. Lehigh Gate and Fordham fans are not. Bucknell Cross and Pards may get more focused on reaching the playoffs if their programs achieve some consistent winning years.