Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 years?

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    The problem with all of this would start with Title IX. The school, according to certain groups of people, would claim they are using discriminatory actions to pay their men in football versus all other sports. It is either an all or none option. Sticking with just football and the rest in the NCAA would never happen. Also, the amount of lawsuits that would be in the courts would just further slow up our courts and prevent them handling more pressing matters.
    Agree. First thing I thought of was Title 9 issues.

P5 will break off and have their own division, maybe they increase their scholarship levels higher so they can horde more talent and create a bigger disparity between themselves and the rest of D1.

Pride of the Western Plain

The Imagine Dragons of AGS
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Do you guys think we'll see more conference realignment in FCS in the next 2-5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Agree. First thing I thought of was Title 9 issues.

P5 will break off and have their own division, maybe they increase their scholarship levels higher so they can horde more talent and create a bigger disparity between themselves and the rest of D1.
    If they want to break away, let them, more power to them. I see more talent in that mid-range level since athletes want to play and why would someone want to be 3rd string at a mediocre school like Minnesota when they can start at a G5/Top 10 FCS school? The scholarships will be nice but more people will go to the 2nd level of athletics who are borderline to ensure playing time and scouts noticing them.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

AKA Lord Kingpin

The problem with all of this would start with Title IX. The school, according to certain groups of people, would claim they are using discriminatory actions to pay their men in football versus all other sports. It is either an all or none option. Sticking with just football and the rest in the NCAA would never happen. Also, the amount of lawsuits that would be in the courts would just further slow up our courts and prevent them handling more pressing matters.
    There's a path around Title IX which some (but not all) of the I-A schools might entertain.

Title IX applies only to educational institutions. So if the Top 48 schools formed a football division outside of the NCAA, and created separately incorporated companies with a license from the school to use names and likenesses (think: "Florida State Football Club, LLC"), they could compete in the garnet and gold just as before but without the need to comply as a non-profit. This scenario also introduces the opportunity to pay "contractors" as opposed to employees, which would trigger benefits and workers comp. Not that this would happen, but...
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    There's a path around Title IX which some (but not all) of the I-A schools might entertain.

Title IX applies only to educational institutions. So if the Top 48 schools formed a football division outside of the NCAA, and created separately incorporated companies with a license from the school to use names and likenesses (think: "Florida State Football Club, LLC"), they could compete in the garnet and gold just as before but without the need to comply as a non-profit. This scenario also introduces the opportunity to pay "contractors" as opposed to employees, which would trigger benefits and workers comp. Not that this would happen, but...
    Yes, but then how would they get around discriminatory pay? Who is to say that women's field hockey is not equal in talent and value to that of men's gridiron football. If equal pay for equal work, is something that America believes in, then the argument could be made that they deserve to be paid as "contractors" the same. Someone will always complain and bring litigation if it suits their interests or they stand to make a financial gain. Trying to keep this focused on the discussion at hand without bringing politics into it is damn near impossible, so I will not go down that road, but that is the next discussion in this issue.

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

AKA Lord Kingpin

Yes, but then how would they get around discriminatory pay? Who is to say that women's field hockey is not equal in talent and value to that of men's gridiron football. If equal pay for equal work, is something that America believes in, then the argument could be made that they deserve to be paid as "contractors" the same. Someone will always complain and bring litigation if it suits their interests or they stand to make a financial gain. Trying to keep this focused on the discussion at hand without bringing politics into it is damn near impossible, so I will not go down that road, but that is the next discussion in this issue.
    In the above scenario, Florida State could argue that none of its student-athletes are paid. What the LLC does for football is their business because it's wholly separate from the university.

Granted, it's not a bridge that will be crossed anytime soon, but it's a bridge nonetheless.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    North Dakota State

In the above scenario, Florida State could argue that none of its student-athletes are paid. What the LLC does for football is their business because it's wholly separate from the university.

Granted, it's not a bridge that will be crossed anytime soon, but it's a bridge nonetheless.
    I understand that they are separating themselves as they are not affiliated with each other and therefore separate entities. Each school will do what is necessary to benefit themselves at the end of the day, but the NCAA will not let them go quietly as they stand to lose billions of dollars if the process happens.

AKA Lord Kingpin

My Team
    Indiana State

I understand that they are separating themselves as they are not affiliated with each other and therefore separate entities. Each school will do what is necessary to benefit themselves at the end of the day, but the NCAA will not let them go quietly as they stand to lose billions of dollars if the process happens.
    in this scenario wouldnt the NCAA (being the other P5 schools) be leaving with them? they clearly have all the power.

The NCAA makes almost all of its income from March Madness. It makes no money from football and is not part of the "College Football Playoff". In fact, the NCAA probably loses money on football, flying teams around in the FCS, D2 and D3 playoffs. As long as the P5 keep basketball in the NCAA, the NCAA doesn't really care. If the P5 choose to leave completely, there is nothing the NCAA can do other than beg and grovel. For antitrust reasons, the P5 can't prohibit G5 schools from leaving, too, but they can make it so expensive the G5 schools cannot afford to move.

For now, the point is moot, since I doubt anything will happen until the CFP contract expires (or ESPN goes bankrupt), and even then, I suspect the NCAA will give the big boys whatever it takes to keep March Madness intact.

Is Florida State Football, LLC going to wear garnet and gold and play on the campus of Florida State University, just like the athletic teams that represent Florida State University? Are profits from concessions, tickets, merchandising, television contracts, etc. going to inure in any way to Florida State University? Are you going to be required to be an enrolled student at Florida State University in order to be an independent contractor with Florida State Football, LLC?

I don't think "this is a wholly independent entity" would pass the straight faced test.

It's clearly conjecture, but...

"Is Florida State Football, LLC going to wear garnet and gold and play on the campus of Florida State University, just like the athletic teams that represent Florida State University?" Yes, per the license --FSU rents Doak Campbell Stadium and the practice facilities to the LLC.

"Are profits from concessions, tickets, merchandising, television contracts, etc. going to inure in any way to Florida State University?" Yes, per the contract

"Are you going to be required to be an enrolled student at Florida State University in order to be an independent contractor with Florida State Football, LLC?" No. An athlete could enroll at FSU, but it wouldn't be required.

(And on a unrelated issue, the fundraising arm of FSU athletics is a 501(c)(3) corporation and legally separate from the university.)

http://boosters.fsu.edu/