Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Permanent 12th Game Option for the FCS: agree or disagree?

If this goes through I feel sorry for the AD's at MVSU and Valpo. Like they don't have enough to worry about, now they gotta field 15 calls a day.

I can't see how you can be opposed to this & still call yourself a football fan. More football, more football, more football!!!!
    Make Delaware Football Great Again

AGS FCS Champion

I love the idea. FBS schools do this every year. The only thing I ask is the number of scholarships be increased to compensate for the wear of playing the extra game. With FCS schools having around 20 schollys less than FBS to start with the fair thing would to be to allow FCS schools a few more for wear. Injuries at the FBS level and you have a backup ready. Injuries at the FCS level and most teams are SOL for a shot at the FCS championship. But I do see how the extra pay game OR extra FCS game would help some teams get a better shot at the playoffs.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because its trust in not in the branch, but in its own wings. ~Anonymous
    Artist formerly known as: UCABEAR

Here's what the Dartmouth Football Blog says about the move with respect to the Ivy. (Also some depressing stats on Ivy attendance).

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.co...re-in-fcs.html

How will having a 12th game every year affect selecting at-large teams for the playoffs?
    If 2 teams with equal SOS that each have 7 wins, but one played 12 games and the other 11. Which one will have the advantage?

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    How will having a 12th game every year affect selecting at-large teams for the playoffs?
    If 2 teams with equal SOS that each have 7 wins, but one played 12 games and the other 11. Which one will have the advantage?
    The one with 11 depending on what the other loss was for the team with 12 games. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    How would they have equal SOS? I don't think that's possible. My guess is the 7-4 team would probably be picked over the 7-5 team either way. Now a question could come about if you are looking at seeding between a 9-2 and 9-3 team I suppose but is it really going to be any different then what we go thru now anyway?

Major FCS Ruler

In some regions of the country teams are challenged scheduling 11 games. We are already seeing too many Div 2 games and two many mediocre or poor FCS teams scheduling two FBS opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    In some regions of the country teams are challenged scheduling 11 games. We are already seeing too many Div 2 games and two many mediocre or poor FCS teams scheduling two FBS opponents.
    So what? If a school wants to schedule another money game or another home gimme what's it care? The PO selection should still come down to the entire body of work.Maybe they can put a clause in only 11 games are countable to PO selection and no D2's or something like that.

Major FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    So what? If a school wants to schedule another money game or another home gimme what's it care? The PO selection should still come down to the entire body of work.Maybe they can put a clause in only 11 games are countable to PO selection and no D2's or something like that.
    I could care a less if some teams want to squeeze in a 12th game before the playoffs begin. But it's important to make sure it doesn't become perceived that playing 12 games is an advantage. The "so what" is merely broadening the discussion to include the concerns of many teams currently playing FCS football, particularly the smaller conferences like the Big South and the NEC that have to scramble to fill current schedules and teams from regions where there are few possible FCS out of conference opponents.